The Saabulous Thread.

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
I know it’s an acquired taste but I do love a good saab, currently on my fifth, ng900 turbo, 3 9-5 aero estates and a slightly rusty 9000 Aero. Thought a thread for the old man saab lovers would be good for advice/links, if mods and @Cooper don’t mind.

Current Saab’s,

Dame Edna 9-5 Aero Estate Manual with 69k miles, bodywork is “interesting” And gm quality is definitely in there in droves.
5CE9FD19-1ACF-4C10-8205-9A376606547E.jpeg
Plans for this are to keep it running for as long as I can as using it as a commuter and dog van. Passed its Mot with just new front brakes and 4 New uniroyals kindly supplied by @RubberLover

And the current project, just serviced it and need to do aux belt and heater matrix, will need a Fair bit of welding in the common spots but been told by the resident Rms 9000 beard @fj1200aa that it’s worth saving, he may even post his. Will be doing this slow time and will need sides painted eventually, hopefully in time for Kilbroney.
4E8D99CD-A74F-47D8-9D70-5E9A79C4416D.jpeg
42886391-A6C5-48FA-B3C0-F0BE4F660D93.jpeg

Know there’s a few saab lovers on here @Steve @gpaevo

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
This is my first Saab, bit like an Alfa I felt I had to own one at some point. So got this Aero back in Jan last year and I love it. Remapped by Noobtune, Bilsten B6's and a few other bits added. It's a great drive and fits 2 kids and all their associated kak in the boot.

I've plans for a 3" downpipe and intercooler to more bhp from stage 3 map, but mainly torque.
SWEDE.jpg

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
OP
B
Drives
Skip
This is my first Saab, bit like an Alfa I felt I had to own one at some point. So got this Aero back in Jan last year and I love it. Remapped by Noobtune, Bilsten B6's and a few other bits added. It's a great drive and fits 2 kids and all their associated kak in the boot.

I've plans for a 3" downpipe and intercooler to more bhp from stage 3 map, but mainly torque.
View attachment 178323
Love this shape but finding a manual 2.0 turbo aero is tough. Was always told to avoid the gm 2.8 unit.

Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
Bus
What a great thread! Lol!

Although I have only ever owned one Saab, I have always loved the 900 turbo every since I was a kid, my dad's mate had a black one with red leather. After owning my 9-5 Aero for a year now I love them more now. There is just something about them..

My brother also has a 06 9-3 vector sport which is actually a really good car. It just needs a map which he keeps on saying he is going to get..

Onto the pics..

My brother's 9-3

IMG-20170812-WA0006.jpg

And my 9-5..

IMG_20170901_112116.jpg

IMG_20170901_112142.jpg

Looking forward to seeing more Saabs in here!

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
OP
B
Drives
Skip
With 20mpg average and £500 a year tax I think of wish i'd gone for the V6T, but yeah I'd also heard horror stories about them.
Like to stretch their timing chains I was told by a saab mechanic and to avoid them. GM engine guff.

Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
Bus
Would love one if these but out of budget for me, hence I ended up with the 9000 Aero, only something like 150 of them left on the road, head gaskets and rust kill them.

Imo a 9000 is still pretty iconic! I absolutely love your one.

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
OP
B
Drives
Skip
Imo a 9000 is still pretty iconic! I absolutely love your one.
It’s lying in bits being used as garage shelving at the moment, lacking motivation and funds. I’m in no rush, it’ll get sorted for the summer and in time for kilbroney I’m hoping.

Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
Bus
It’s lying in bits being used as garage shelving at the moment, lacking motivation and funds. I’m in no rush, it’ll get sorted for the summer and in time for kilbroney I’m hoping.

Great project though.

Richy

RMS Regular
Drives
E55
For some reason I thought you sold yours @Richy

After 6 months on gumtree I got one phone call from a guy who was convinced, to the point of arguing with me, that it was actually a 9-3, so I just gave up and kept it!

If there was a checklist of undesirable criteria for used cars in Northern Ireland, I think my Saab would tick every box and more lol

81F37507-96C5-4E88-89B5-3A26C24EC353.jpeg

7.8 litres, no clutches and 700bhp, best buds on the drive :joy: