Think your bikes safe?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Chris666

RMS Regular
OP
Chris666
Drives
Often
Can't help but laugh at how easy this would be for a roll away theft... My bike is behind 4 padlocks two doors and a gate, realistically the last line of defence is the Datatool S4 Suzuki specific alarm (this thing requires a new wiring loom to remove!) It's making me think fairly hard about security when parked away from home.

Same lock that got picked in first video

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
@Polobrat666 I had an Abus Granite Detecto alarmed disk lock back when I had the bike. Was a great bit of kit and the alarm was bloody loud. I just ran a disk lock reminder so I didn't forget about it.

It weighed a fair bit and had just the right amount of sensitivity though in a gale force wind when the cover was pulling on it it did go off a couple of time over the 5 years I had it. Wasn't cheap if I remember rightly though but I'd recommend it no problem at all.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
The locks might be crap...but how he gets them open is pretty impressive, even if as he says it's very unlikely any normal thief would be able to do it that way.

Chris666

RMS Regular
OP
Chris666
Drives
Often
It's certainly a skill he has. The relative ease of cracking a disc lock is worrying, with tools that anyone can buy :eek:

If that's your only defence against theft it's not a great one

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
As with most things...it's the visual that will hopefully move thieves onto another target.

But there is absolutely no reason not to make those things from a hard steel. Using a cheap casting seems daft and clearly they're only about profit and dont care about actual security.

He's tested a few...surely there must be some out there that are more secure or is he just highlighting the bad ones ?

genman

G
His tests and the online visibility must be hurting overall lock sales worldwide but i'm sure the businesses are basically having a don't care attitude based on overall profit.... some of those disc locks can be £40+ yet probably only cost £5 to make...may as well by a cheap brand anyway based on his tests and insurance companies are likely well aware of the weaknesses so won't give discounts for big name locks.
Good old chain and padlock is still tough to improve on at home along with cctv cameras but whilst travelling its a different problem.
Thieves i'm sure are well equipped if they really want a bike especially the gangs...opportunist thieves perhaps not

Chris666

RMS Regular
OP
Chris666
Drives
Often
Don't see too many stolen bike notices in NI to be fair, does happen though... Happened to me :worried:

Cookie Munster

RMS Regular
Drives
Mondeo / Forza
is there a lot of bikes stole in N.I.?

I don't think bike theft is as common here compared to the mainland, especially when you consider the gangs going around London and probably the other larger cities targeting bikes.
I would say though that around the Belfast area, a lot of the bikes that are stolen are taken to compete in the Divis TT

DriftnSlide

Banned
Drives
S60 D5 SE
Don't see too many stolen bike notices in NI to be fair, does happen though... Happened to me :worried:

Me too. Had a 6 month old EXUP stolen from outside a flat i had in Wellesley Ave off the Lisburn Rd back in the early 90s. Turned up 10 months later in Newcastle after being used for a few robberies over the border and Warrenpoint.

NotKG

Banned
my mums car got her old mazda stolen and done robberies and was found in newcastle, i had a old cdi cavalier stolen and was chased near carryduff/temple by police and was found in newcastle.. strange.

DriftnSlide

Banned
Drives
S60 D5 SE
my mums car got her old mazda stolen and done robberies and was found in newcastle, i had a old cdi cavalier stolen and was chased near carryduff/temple by police and was found in newcastle.. strange.

Seems like there must have been a scumbag unit working around that area. Mine was abandoned outside the house of some bloke who had a GSXR stolen a few months before with his reg on my bike. Scummy f**ktards.

Chris666

RMS Regular
OP
Chris666
Drives
Often
No idea re an actual solution but IMO, whatever is used should make an awful lot of noise when/if triggered

Does the R6 have the Y.I.S.S system?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.