Tough Mac Subaru R555 FEL Bertie Fisher Rep - GC8 Subaru Impreza WRX

Lauren_E

RMS Regular
Drives
MINI JCW
So this is the latest addition to the fleet. The intention was to sell one of the MINIs and get something fresher up the years, instead I bought a Subaru that is older than I am 😂

A good friend of the family had taken this in in part exchange for his Metro 6R4 he was restoring. He had no call for it as he was also in the process of building a R53 Mini for hillclimbs. I was up a few weeks ago and he happened to mention in passing about the car. An offer was made and home it come 😂

It’s a 1994 Subaru Impreza WRX that has been done as a Replica to the well known Tough Mac Subaru R555 FEL of Bertie Fisher.

It has been used as an actual rally car in the past so has had some serious work done. I’m still finding things out from previous owners etc what all has been done to it, but it is definitely a very sharp car. I’m sure there is much more done internally to both engine and gearbox but until I pull it apart I’ll not know what. At the minute this is the spec from what I can see
  • Garret GT2871R Turbo Conversion
  • Stand Alone ECU mapped by Prodrive to just over 400bhp
  • Front Mount Intercooler
  • SARD Fuel Pressure Regulator
  • Carbon STI Strut Brace
  • Tein Coilovers
  • AP 6 Pot Front Callipers
  • Blitz Nur Spec R Exhaust
  • Speedline Prodrive Alloys
  • Sparco Evo Bucket Seats
  • Sabelt 6 Point Harnesses
  • Rear Seat Delete
  • Roll Cage
  • Aluminium Bonnet
  • OMP Steering Wheel
  • Rally Intercoms
This is the day I brought it home
10B91F0A-555F-4DCC-A4A5-C20E1B28C125.jpeg

975AD7FF-A289-4C16-8CA0-A27AA98C4532.jpeg

B78B6DD6-9AF0-4CF0-81E8-3514F4C53E51.jpeg

I spent a few hours today doing bits and pieces, the Sparco seats were fixed to one position so I fitted a set of runners as I’ll need that for MOT, I also changed out the tyres for a set of road legal Bridgstones (will put Michelins on later down the line)
Give the interior and engine bay a quick clean.
Some progress pics
AE258096-C93E-4D18-9787-A285396B12C6.jpeg

E718B01A-83CA-44C0-BE16-0F0CF52EF086.jpeg

B8CD876C-8648-4CE4-ADC1-A0BE007FB883.jpeg

8985C405-EA3F-4AA7-90AE-0F3A065A6ECE.jpeg

FC7BA11A-C3FE-472A-A2FC-9D633EB9C0C2.jpeg

0CBA0E58-613A-4E29-8F45-F84D00A1DBD0.jpeg

I’ve still the exterior to give a really good clean so no pics yet although the light pod is removed and looks 10 times better in my opinion

So the immediate plan for this is to get it MOTd

The overall plan is to get it back to looking its best. Underneath it is in excellent order, up top, well it’s a rally car so has stone chips/blemishes literally everywhere. It will get a full respray in the near future as well as fresh new graphics.

It is also been converted to RWD so that will be getting put back to AWD as well to leave it the way it should be

cormac81

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
Just awesome. Always fancied having a rep of R555FEL. I remember being amazed at the feature in Carsport magazine when the real deal was launched, still have it somewhere.

They spelt 'Sydney' Meeke wrong on the bumper btw 🤓

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
Takes me back to my childhood watching Fisher battle it out with McHale 👌 Proper machine. Believe the original is with the rally car collector Enda Garvey in Co Armagh.

Lauren_E

RMS Regular
OP
Lauren_E
Drives
MINI JCW
Just awesome. Always fancied having a rep of R555FEL. I remember being amazed at the feature in Carsport magazine when the real deal was launched, still have it somewhere.

They spelt 'Sydney' Meeke wrong on the bumper btw 🤓
Didn’t even notice that 🤦🏻‍♀️ It’s spelt right on the rear bumper lol. Will have to get that changed 😂
Takes me back to my childhood watching Fisher battle it out with McHale 👌 Proper machine. Believe the original is with the rally car collector Enda Garvey in Co Armagh.
Yes the original is with Enda I believe. He must have some collection!

cormac81

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
McHales celica wouldnt be too far away. Mark Doyle has its back in its original livery.

Cookies

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
My home place is in Ballinamallard, and I remember all of Bertie's cars, from CIL 999. His Manta 400 and that inpeeza were my favourites, and that is absolutely gorgeous. What a thing to have.

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
My home place is in Ballinamallard, and I remember all of Bertie's cars, from CIL 999. His Manta 400 and that inpeeza were my favourites, and that is absolutely gorgeous. What a thing to have.

Was CIL999 not an RS1800? Ascona was DIL999, and Manta DIL2307 as far as I remember.

Love the Impreza, it's the iconic rally car for me, and the one that brings back most memories.

Cookies

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
Was CIL999 not an RS1800? Ascona was DIL999, and Manta DIL2307 as far as I remember.

Love the Impreza, it's the iconic rally car for me, and the one that brings back most memories.
CIL 999 was indeed a red Mk2 (what I meant was that CIL 999 was the first one I remembered) As a youngster I used to sit on our back door step listening to him testing the cars around the back roads. Class.

Lee

RMS Regular
CIL 999 was indeed a red Mk2 (what I meant was that CIL 999 was the first one I remembered) As a youngster I used to sit on our back door step listening to him testing the cars around the back roads. Class.

I've lived there all my life. How long are you away from it?

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
That's great, looks solid which is the main thing tbh. That cage is a bit speshul, dash Dodger and rear door Dodger too.. I know it's not for competition or anything but that's just adding weight., better off without it tbh.
4 bolts later and the sparco will be out, along with you lol.
Looking forward to seeing how this progresses.

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything

I was the same with Denis Bigerstaff and the 6R4, he lived about 2 miles from my homeplace, we could hear the car starting in his workshop, which gave me enough time to get to the gate and watch it go past!

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
AFAIK, the original car lives in County Armagh, too.

Lovely to see this on RMS.

As much as I love lamps pods, I can't help but feel this needs the pair of pods like the works cars used to run which house two spots above each headlight. Although the is every chance this car never ran such a set up, using the central quad lamp as you have.

Lauren_E

RMS Regular
OP
Lauren_E
Drives
MINI JCW
That's great, looks solid which is the main thing tbh. That cage is a bit speshul, dash Dodger and rear door Dodger too.. I know it's not for competition or anything but that's just adding weight., better off without it tbh.
4 bolts later and the sparco will be out, along with you lol.
Looking forward to seeing how this progresses.
Yes cage is just for aesthetics
Funny dad was hinting at how much handier it would be with a nice set of standard seats. Knew there was a motive there 😂
AFAIK, the original car lives in County Armagh, too.

Lovely to see this on RMS.

As much as I love lamps pods, I can't help but feel this needs the pair of pods like the works cars used to run which house two spots above each headlight. Although the is every chance this car never ran such a set up, using the central quad lamp as you have.
Yes from what I can gather the original car is not to far from me.
The lamp pod was just not my thing. I’ve left the wiring in place so it just plugs back in again if I ever want to run it, although I can’t see it

Cookies

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
I've lived there all my life. How long are you away from it?
I've been working up around Belfast for 30 years now, but still go over every couple of weeks to see my mum and other family still living there.

My uncle used to own the Brooklands, and another uncle owned the Mallard a good few years back. I was actually at school with and knew Mark and Emma really well.

Niall

Reactions: Lee

Lee

RMS Regular
I've been working up around Belfast for 30 years now, but still go over every couple of weeks to see my mum and other family still living there.

My uncle used to own the Brooklands, and another uncle owned the Mallard a good few years back. I was actually at school with and knew Mark and Emma really well.

Niall

It's a shame the Brooklands and Mallard are lying derelict nowadays. I probably know some people you know, although I've only been alive for as long as you've been working in Belfast. Anyway, I'll not derail the thread any more!