Touring or adventure?

TalkToFrank

RMS Regular
Drives
335i MT Touring
Firstly, I've never had anything other than a naked or sports bike really.... And I find my uses for the bike becoming leisurely scoots, day trips 2-up or the occasional 3- 4 day ride with mates.

Obviously, a 600 sports bike is useless for 2 up, sore on the wrists and a big challenge to do any long runs on.

The circle's faster end of the line up is a tiger 1050, z1000sx with raised bars and a 2011 1100gs. Wouldn't mind something that would have me up round their capabilities...

I've been drawn to (mainly because of price) the tiger 1050, a vfr1200, vfr1200 crosstourer or a z1000sx although they're still pricey. Ideally, I'd be looking the best bang for about 4-5k I'd say.

Anyone any words of the wise or preferences? I'll not be off-road at all but keep being told to go for that style.

Is a multistrada a good wild card?

Slimsbikers

RMS Regular
Drives
S1000xr
If you're used to sports bikes then you're probably better with the tiger or z1000sx.The vfr1200's are thirsty big beasts(although the engine is fantastic),the 1100gs wouldn't give you the sports bike rush you're used to great all round bike as they are and the multistrada is a brillliant bike but expensive to service and you'll struggle to get a good one for your budget.Have had a Tiger 1050 before.All day comfort,good luggage capacity,better for 2 up than the z1000sx and enough power from the engine to have fun when you want.Best of luck with whatever you go for.

BIGDAVE

RMS Regular
Drives
audi a7
Firstly, I've never had anything other than a naked or sports bike really.... And I find my uses for the bike becoming leisurely scoots, day trips 2-up or the occasional 3- 4 day ride with mates.

Obviously, a 600 sports bike is useless for 2 up, sore on the wrists and a big challenge to do any long runs on.

The circle's faster end of the line up is a tiger 1050, z1000sx with raised bars and a 2011 1100gs. Wouldn't mind something that would have me up round their capabilities...

I've been drawn to (mainly because of price) the tiger 1050, a vfr1200, vfr1200 crosstourer or a z1000sx although they're still pricey. Ideally, I'd be looking the best bang for about 4-5k I'd say.

Anyone any words of the wise or preferences? I'll not be off-road at all but keep being told to go for that style.

Is a multistrada a good wild card?
I have had both the 1050 tiger and the 1200 multistrada . The tiger is a great bike and did everything i asked of it but I always felt it was lacking power and that's why i went for the multistrada and I have never looked back. The multistrada has enough power and is more than capable on the twisties . For comfort the Ducati wins again and sitting for a long time isn't an issue as the seat is comfy and the riding position is great.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Do you mean 2011 1200GS? I thought the 1100GS was last century and wouldn't compare with those other bikes you mention.
I had a 1050 sport (the later one with single side swingarm) and was quite fond of it. For me it had enough power and liked that it was a triple and pulled well, right through the rev range.
I don't know if you do your own maintenance or have a tight budget, but the VFR and Ducati will be more expensive to service than the Triumph, which is pretty easy to work on.
Have to say, I love a big touring bike for 2-up, so I'd be tempted by the VFR. (plus I'm over 50, lol.)
Had ST1300 for a few years and although heavy, it was so comfy, lovely handling (with an uprated shock and springs) and deceptively quick.

Lee

RMS Regular
I bought this last year, the other half informs me it's comfortable as a pillion. 150ish bhp so goes well, and can be sporty when required.

I had a 1050 Tiger before, and while it was a good bike and pillion suitable, it just wasn't exciting and there was a few things I didn't get on with.

PXL_20230630_155509295.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL~2.jpg

Scuba Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
S3/V4S/X5/R
Ive went from have nakes such has GSXS1000, Ducati Monster, Streetfighter V4S and now on a Multi V4S and tbh the multi does all what the others done but better.
Its more comfortable, the power is useable, sounds as good!

The biggest thing is i can do 300+ miles in a day on the muliti where as the streetfighter i was broken after 80 miles!

1704797451572.png

fabiostar

RMS Regular
Drives
Have you thought of the yamaha Tracer? they can be had at decent money, have that lovely triple motor and go for about a million miles.

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
Have you thought of the yamaha Tracer? they can be had at decent money, have that lovely triple motor and go for about a million miles.

A mate had a Tracer 9GT for 1 season and handed it back. Suspension just wasn't up for 2 up and luggage for touring. He's now on an S1000XR and it's a fantastic bike (albeit a £17k bike).

If a Multistrada is within budget, that would get my vote but factor in the Ducati tax for service and maintenance. Once I'm finished with my 1200 Monster (could also be a touring contender) I'll be looking at the V4 Pikes Peak Multistrada.

TalkToFrank

RMS Regular
OP
TalkToFrank
Drives
335i MT Touring
My mind is still thinking 3.5k tiger or maybe a multistrada if I can find one cheap enough.... Rest assured if I don't have a real want, I'll end up buying anything dirt cheap like an old £1200 xj900 or something 🤣

Alan_B

RMS Regular
Drives
Whatever
Personally I wouldn’t bother with a Multistrada given the hassle a mate has had with one he got new, also ended up having to get warranty work done in the south as our dealer wasn’t playing game.

Add to the the amount of them I have seen on the back of a recovery vehicle lol.

I love my GSA (2017) but appreciate they are not for everyone and there is a stigma attached.

I’d pick the VFR out of your list tbh.

chrisQ

RMS Regular
Currently have a R6 and looking a similar change, really love the look of the Z900RS kawasaki but unsure how good it would be for touring or doing 2 or 3 hundred miles on at a time so have my mind set on a S1000XR, meant to be a fantastic all rounder. Thing that puts me off the multistrada is the major servicing and maintenance etc they need.... one needy Italian bike is enough for me lol

Scuba Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
S3/V4S/X5/R
@Gareth Ducati maintenance etc is not expensive at all, not sure where people get this idea from.
I had a monster that went for the belts etc and ive the invoice aswell, that plus service and tyres was £800

If your going for a multi v4 its got 4 years warranty and they do not aruge at all about replacement bits.
Ive had fog lights replaced and LED indicators plus the fuel cap (had a slight mark on it and at service they noticed and replaced it)

General service is once a year and it was £250 at Milsport.

but to that, its an expensive bike to buy, starting 27K if i remember but you are getting alot of kit and with the backing of Audi - its far better than anything on the market today.

BIGDAVE

RMS Regular
Drives
audi a7
I have had my multistrada 1200 for 18 months and its been great with no faults to report. Its the same old story that out of 100 bikes sold you will always hear the one bad report but never the other 99 happy ones .

Scuba Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
S3/V4S/X5/R
@BIGDAVE that is true, mine had a dash fault went blank and couldnt see what it was doing etc but phoned ducati recovery as it was a sunday, picked me and the bike up took me home... Ducati then arranged for the bike to be collected again on Tuesday and sent to the dealership in ballymoney