Tow Bar Bike Rack - Borrow/Rental? Q5

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
New territory for me - heading to Scotland end of July and planning to take the boys bikes and my own (1 large, 2 small bikes)

I will assume we will still have the Q5 then for this trip so what all do I need to fit a bike rack?

I do not want one that will lean on or strap to the window/boot lid

I am not even sure what connections, if any, are there on the Q5 as it doesn't have a tow bar but certain it has the space for it (small cover on the rear bumper where it would be)

Can you rent these? I see one for sale on here but for a one time use, not going to buy one

Lights needed I assume and number plate?

Anyone have one I could borrow for a fee/favour/beers?

Thanks

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
That's a tow hook space if you don't have a towbar. I don't think you'll get a tow hook mounted carrier, but I could be wrong.

A boot mounted one will have some elements of contact with the bodywork. Even the ones that claim not to have any contact with it. In the past I got round that by adding a few bits of 3M clear vinyl on those areas. Also not ideal if you need in/out of the boot and/or want to park somewhere and have the bikes secured.

Roof mounting your bike and dismantling the kids ones might be best option assuming you make sure the ferry booking will be OK. Just add bars and a carrier.

There's a place in Dundonald rents roof boxes and bars. Be worth contacting to see if they have anything.

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
@Coog thanks - yeah not keen on a bootlid mounted one as I am sure we would need in the boot along the way

I will have the roof box on and I do have a single bike carrier which goes along side it but no real use if I have 3 bikes - dismantling may be an option but they will take up a decent amount of space

I know the place you are talking about in Dundonald, will check them out tomorrow if they are open - thanks

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
I have a tow bar 4 bike one but it's used every week so couldn't lend you it, but they are the best job we've had all types and it's the only way to go.

Having said that if it was for one holiday and on a car that I wouldn't be keeping I wouldn't be paying for a tow bar and rack id just stick a bootlid one on it for the price difference you could have the boot resprayed, but realistically it would be grand.

For a tow bar one you just need your standard tow bar and connections and stick your reg on it, most will tilt forward for access to the boot and can be lifted off when you get to your accommodation.

IMG_9987.jpeg

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
We managed two adult bikes, two kids bikes, roof box and all our gear for a fortnight in my Golf estate btw

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
For what my wife packs, you could be away 6 months and still have spare clothes :joy:

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
e60 320d
Take the wheels off, pedals off and turn the bars on the kids bikes and lay them flat on the boot floor then put the rest on top. I suppose it depends on how big your boot is and the size of the frames.

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
What dates you away? I've one here but will be needing it for a family trip myself
20180811_114838.jpg

Sham1

RMS Regular
Might be cheaper and handier to rent some bikes in Scotland. No worrying about bike rakes damaging cars, falling off, being stolen etc.
Could even hire yourself an e bike and take it easy

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
What dates you away? I've one here but will be needing it for a family trip myselfView attachment 435455

20-27th July bud

Might be cheaper and handier to rent some bikes in Scotland. No worrying about bike rakes damaging cars, falling off, being stolen etc.
Could even hire yourself an e bike and take it easy

£18-25 a day per bike 😬😬 and I’m in Scotland so weather isn’t guaranteed

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
We’ve a three bike one with number plate/light bar on but it’s tow bar mounted 😢

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
Need mine on the 21st as we're doing a family thing for nephews birthday, sorry mate. Also, mine is towbar mounted

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Not fit 2 on the roof beside the roof box? Roof box absolutely essential?

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
e60 320d
Probably depends on the size of the box. I can lend you a second bike rack for the bars if you needed it.

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
Not fit 2 on the roof beside the roof box? Roof box absolutely essential?

Don’t know yet, I’m 2 months ahead of myself but it’s handy to have to put non essential luggage in so the inside of the car isn’t over loaded

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
Don’t know off hand but I can fit my bike on the roof with the box

Only photo I have

1716578141879.jpeg

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
e60 320d
As long as there’s space on the bars for another rack you could turn the other bike the other way around.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Probably wouldn't be able to open the box with two bikes on the rack. Dismantling and folding flat works absolutely fine. A kids bike takes up hardly any space. You can also use the space at their feet in the car and seat between them for bags.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
It still needs swinging space to open because the lid is deep.