Trackskills 8th October 2023

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
Anyone booked in?

I've just last minute stuck my name down.

Know @G24NTR is going in the M4!

I haven't driven it in years so will likely be getting lapped all round, but should be good craic!

i18715.jpg

i6946.jpg

i8681.jpg

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Can’t make it either just too much on at the minute. Hoping to get to the November one though to do the track in the dark!

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
Might get round in the swift if I get a chance to get a look over it and the weather is to play ball.

CurtisG

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
Tempted to give this a go in the M2 but have 0 track day experience.

Obviously I’ve left this late so can’t get track pads in time. However how likely would you be to burn through pads if trying to do 4x15mins but certainly not record pace?

Also a helmet required?

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
They recommend bringing a spare set of pads. Yep helmet and also track day insurance, I’ve heard it can be a few hundred quid recently though so it all soon adds up when you add price if the day too. Can’t see me doing one this late in the year and with Christmas on the horizon, most likely next spring I’ll have a go.

G24NTR

RMS Regular

Obviously I’ve left this late so can’t get track pads in time. However how likely would you be to burn through pads if trying to do 4x15mins but certainly not record pace?

Also a helmet required?

I did first couple of track days in the M4 on standard pads, it's fine until you start pushing on and they get hot, a cool down lap or 2 during the session helps with this.

Helmet required.

pizza85

RMS Regular
Drives
E92 M3

Also a helmet required?
I did my first one in my m3 earlier in the year with no spare brake pads and was totally fine. I was getting smoked by a variety of cars, but I had a great time regardless!

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
They’d want to have plenty of meat on them before you start.

Before moving to race pads I would have taken a brand new set of OEM pads to about 10% in a day.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
What is the standard requirement for helmet? I have one for drag racing but does it have to be within date or a certain level?

Have a few bicycle helmets at home too :joy:

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Bicycle helmet won’t do it but any motorsport or motorcycle helmet will be fine. No dating or anything like that.

finn28

RMS Regular
Drives
350z
I hadn't seen track day insurance mentioned on the trackskills site but I could have missed it. What way does that work then, buy it per track day or is it a yearly policy? Any idea of cost?

Ben P

RMS Regular
OP
Ben P
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
I dont know anyone that has bought track insurance to be fair.
It's like a gentlemans agreement, you bend it, you mend it!

AC

RMS Regular
I hadn't seen track day insurance mentioned on the trackskills site but I could have missed it. What way does that work then, buy it per track day or is it a yearly policy? Any idea of cost?
It's not a requirement. It's down to you as an individual as to whether you want to take it out of not. I know folks that have done in the past, but usually they were running fairly expensive metal!

It's always a very well run and relaxed day - Donal and his team are fantastic and keep everyone right. For anyone going for the first time, it's always good to go down early as you will get a few passenger laps in their own 5 series to give you a flavour of lines and braking zones before the safety briefing.

Split into groups in the morning sessions. Normally 2x groups who have been there before and 1x group for those who are new to the track. Lunch around 2pm and then after lunch track is open and no more groups. There's always plenty of track time available and runs until around 6pm I think. I normally find myself going home around 4pm as I'm knackered by that stage!

Having finally tracked down the electrical gremlin in the Clio (well, I didn't - the magician that is Chris Carson did!), I'll hopefully be heading down this weekend.

finn28

RMS Regular
Drives
350z
That's me booked in with the 350z, I'll see you all on Sunday.

I know this has been covered before, but where is the last stop for filling up with super before I get there?

pizza85

RMS Regular
Drives
E92 M3

I know this has been covered before, but where is the last stop for filling up with super before I get there?
I stopped in Comber on the way up, not sure if there's closer than that

AC

RMS Regular

Probably Hardford link for you I'd imagine - I think I remember someone saying the station in Kirkubbin doesn't do it anymore but never used it. Always filled the car and a jerry can at Hardford link before heading down.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Maxol in Carrodore does super. Or it certainly used to anyway.

finn28

RMS Regular
Drives
350z
Perfect, I'll fill up in Comber and nip out at lunch if I need more. What time does the track open at?

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
Does the updated station in Kircubbin stock Super yet? The one in Carrowdore would be the closest after that.