Trackskills Trackday Kirkistown this Sunday the 16th

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Gibbo

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
just outa pure curiosity...what is the dakar yellow m3 running and whats done to it (y)

Stripped out interior, cobra seat + harness, miltek catback with scorpian backbox, rota wheels with kumbho rally slicks, gaz custom coilovers. Standard discs with Bluestuff pads. A/C unit, cooling fan removed, twin fuel pumps. Remap and full slicks next on the agenda and a cage.

Gemma

RMS Regular
Gibboka Does the fan removal do anything for power gains? or just more room in the engine bay or what?

Gibbo

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Gemma doesn't do a great deal for power, one less thing to drive every little helps! also takes more weight out, oul boy weighed it when out but cant remember what it was.

Gemma

RMS Regular
Gibboka they do take up quite abit of room in the engine bay like lol it had crossed my mind to remove mine but was thinking whats the point...it wasnt bought for racing purposes lol

Gemma

RMS Regular
Gibboka thats what i was thinking....it is nice to have it there for just incase lol my 3.0litre didnt have it but last summer wasnt exactly the warmest ...id crap myself if i seen the temp needle starting to move up the way haha

What bhp is your dad running now and what does he hope to be running after the remap? and when hes on circuit what is his oil temp sittin at....sorry for all the questions..just being a nosey h*le lol

Gibbo

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Gemma It's never been dyno'd so don't actually know, it feels fit enough anyway, and fitter than mine anyway. would be expecting another 15hp with the remap but its mainly to smooth out taking the cats off. Oil temp was sitting around 90-100 when i came in after last session if i remember correctly.

evo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Ariel Atom 300
Gemma It's never been dyno'd so don't actually know, it feels fit enough anyway, and fitter than mine anyway. would be expecting another 15hp with the remap but its mainly to smooth out taking the cats off. Oil temp was sitting around 90-100 when i came in after last session if i remember correctly.
My oil temp is over 120:rolleyes: Doubt im going to have to invest in an oil cooler..Water temp is normal but

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
Tony, out of interest what speeds are you hitting on the straights? Im looking to bring my wee RA Impreza down maybe to the next one but the length of the straights could cause issues as its limited by the gearing to about 110-115mph and it wouldnt be good running it up near the redline for any length of time.

How many laps in is your oil temp reaching 120? I would be wanting them down a bit, 120 should be ok but I wouldnt want it to be up there if possible.

Conor

RMS Regular
Tony, out of interest what speeds are you hitting on the straights? Im looking to bring my wee RA Impreza down maybe to the next one but the length of the straights could cause issues as its limited by the gearing to about 110-115mph and it wouldnt be good running it up near the redline for any length of time.

How many laps in is your oil temp reaching 120? I would be wanting them down a bit, 120 should be ok but I wouldnt want it to be up there if possible.

Any decent going car will be 120mph down the back straight.

If you're afraid of your car revving high all the time then don't take it to a track!

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
Any decent going car will be 120mph down the back straight.

If you're afraid of your car revving high all the time then don't take it to a track!

There is a difference between a car revving high and a car being held on the limiter in top gear for a long period of time, thats how engines can get damaged. Especially as the car in question has a top mount intercooler and at higher speeds these become less effective due to the airflow, providing ideal conditions for det and other engine damage.

Trust me I know all about track racing etc having done it before, I just want to gauge wether I should use my RA or maybe bring my fathers more powerful car as his has a 6 speed and front mount so wont have the same issues. I dont want to blow my car up because Im redlining it in top gear lap after lap. I have been down at Kirky numerous times with our FS car and even had a quick run round in my Impreza which is what initially gave me the thought that it wouldnt be suitable.

evo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Ariel Atom 300
Im really not sure what speed id be doing but id estimate 120-125..I must actually look the next time because i will be getting a genuine reading now that i have the standard ratio back in..

I think my oil temp woulb be at 120 after about 4 laps but it doesnt get any higher even up to lap 15..Do you think this would be pretty normal for such a high revving engine? Wter temp is never even close to heating up

Is your impreza the same gearing my type r was? I thought they would do about 140mph? I no i wouldnt like to be doing many laps down there with that ratio, so id say you would be better to take your dads car..The last thing you want to do down there is be slacking off all the time.Well i know i wouldnt anyhow

Conor

RMS Regular
Fixed that for you, Conor :p

That too! Lol

Although if you're brave enough to be doing anything but look at the track in front of you round debtors you're doing well. Lol

mk2driver just take it down and see, although being totally honest if your in any way worried about your engine blowing then you shouldn't bother.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
That too! Lol

Although if you're brave enough to be doing anything but look at the track in front of you round debtors you're doing well. Lol

mk2driver just take it down and see, although being totally honest if your in any way worried about your engine blowing then you shouldn't bother.

I appreciate your trying to help here but your coming across in a condescending manner. I know all about motorsport having been involved in some way or another for 15 years and the risks involved, be that mechanical or crashing etc. You have to be prepared for the possibility of something going wrong but you do everything you can to minimise that possibility.

Everyone prepares their car to try and prevent damage, be that an oil cooler, an oil change, using race fuel etc or at least they should. There arent many people who enter a track day with no care for wether their car makes it home or not other than those with too much money. My car is a road car and a rare one at that and I would like to have some fun in it at the track rather than use my Dads car again.

However due to the limitations with gearing for Kirky I dont think I will, a bill of £1500+ to rebuild my engine is just not worth it. If I can convince my Dad to let me use his car then it will be good anyway, I will have 450+bhp to play with rather than 280bhp. I will stick to Nutts in my own car where it will be driven hard but not pushed in top gear the same way as it would be at Kirky.

Conor

RMS Regular
I appreciate your trying to help here but your coming across in a condescending manner. I know all about motorsport having been involved in some way or another for 15 years and the risks involved, be that mechanical or crashing etc. You have to be prepared for the possibility of something going wrong but you do everything you can to minimise that possibility.

Everyone prepares their car to try and prevent damage, be that an oil cooler, an oil change, using race fuel etc or at least they should. There arent many people who enter a track day with no care for wether their car makes it home or not other than those with too much money. My car is a road car and a rare one at that and I would like to have some fun in it at the track rather than use my Dads car again.

However due to the limitations with gearing for Kirky I dont think I will, a bill of £1500+ to rebuild my engine is just not worth it. If I can convince my Dad to let me use his car then it will be good anyway, I will have 450+bhp to play with rather than 280bhp. I will stick to Nutts in my own car where it will be driven hard but not pushed in top gear the same way as it would be at Kirky.

Dead on, although for all my condecension it seems like you've come to the exact conclusion that I was trying to suggest . (y)

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
Dead on, although for all my condecension it seems like you've come to the exact conclusion that iwas trying to suggest . (y)

I was just saying that you seem to assume I know nothing about motorsport and the risks associated with the style of your replies. I guess you weren't to know either and like i said I appreciate the fact you were trying to help. I have reached that conclusion as I got the answer to the question I asked and realised my gearing would be wrong, not because I am afraid or revving my engine or blowing it up. Im not afraid of it but I am sure as hell not going to drive it around a track where in all likelihood it will blow up, Im sure you wouldn't go to a track day if you thought there was a 75% chance your engine would blow up from doing it. There is always calculated risks but that would just be stupidity.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
Im really not sure what speed id be doing but id estimate 120-125..I must actually look the next time because i will be getting a genuine reading now that i have the standard ratio back in..

I think my oil temp woulb be at 120 after about 4 laps but it doesnt get any higher even up to lap 15..Do you think this would be pretty normal for such a high revving engine? Wter temp is never even close to heating up

Is your impreza the same gearing my type r was? I thought they would do about 140mph? I no i wouldnt like to be doing many laps down there with that ratio, so id say you would be better to take your dads car..The last thing you want to do down there is be slacking off all the time.Well i know i wouldnt anyhow

It really depends on the oil etc your using as to wether it could be classed as being normal or safe tbh. For all the cost of an oil cooler I would be throwing one on there, better safe than sorry.

No I have an RA box in which is even shorter gearing than a Type R, if it had Type R gearing I would have no problem with it. With Dads car having the 6 speed it has no issues going to 160+ and has a front mount etc as well. It needs mapped again though so it may not be ready for the next one anyway and then I am heading to England for work. I will get the RA out there though on some of the more technical tracks like Nutts here where my gearing is great.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
Also as a general question, I know its not a necessity but do none of you guys wear a race suit in case there is a fire? i appreciate if your going for a one off day its an unnecessary cost but I think if I am out on track I would be wearing it, better safe than sorry.

stezie

RMS Member
Drives
AP1 S2000

I had my S2000 up twice last year, oil temp sat at 120 for the session aswell. i wasnt overly concerned as i was running 5w50 so should of been fit enough for the heat. water guage on dash never moved.

evo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Ariel Atom 300
Also as a general question, I know its not a necessity but do none of you guys wear a race suit in case there is a fire? i appreciate if your going for a one off day its an unnecessary cost but I think if I am out on track I would be wearing it, better safe than sorry.

I have a race suit an i never wear it at track days..I have a pair of light track suit bottoms an a light top with the side window opened too an you want to see the gravy pouring from my forehead lol...

You have just reminded me to buy a pair of driving gloves as i got a blister from sawing on the suede steering wheel too much

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
Awh I know, its bloody warm but I think its just one of those things, I would rather be wearing it just in case I needed it. Aye gloves arent dear and I prefer driving with them on

weeJohn

RMS Regular
Drives
Toyota EP85
120 is high for oil temp Tony, the oil is not only thin at that temp but starting to break down, which can cause damage in the long run. Running a thicker oil would help short term, something like a 15W 50 or 10W 50. That engine has a standard oil cooler on it I think, might just be a case of upgrading whats already there, a bit easier than fitting one from scratch, all you should need is the cooler and possibly new hoses.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.