Trailer Licence

Conor

RMS Regular
Hi Folks!

I've been trying to get my trailer test for months now. I've spoken to a couple of different instructors who claim they only get notice of available test dates a week or so before the available date, and 2-3 full days are needed for the training and then test. I'm not able to drop 2-3 days out of my working week with a couple of days notice.

So my questions are, has anyone gotten their trailer test recently, and if so, who with? And were you able to book it a few weeks in advance, or did it have to be very short notice as I'm being told?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Could you not do the training first then just grab an appointment when available? I did my training over the course of a month.

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
I did mine with Wendy’s trailers and was booked in for a particular date but then she had a cancellation and i took it. Downside to Wendy is she does Craigavon test centre which is horrendous for trailer tests if you’re not from the area as a I found. Not to mention Lurgan at 3pm was a test on its own. Bar that she was great and drives a new shape Volvo that tells you the speed limits everywhere on the speedo 😂

wings

RMS Regular
Drives
MK 6 GTi
Could you not do the training first then just grab an appointment when available? I did my training over the course of a month.
This is what i done, done the lessons and got test ready then booked my test and done a refresher lesson before the test

dddrrift

RMS Regular
I did mine with Ians in Newtownards on the fast track thing they offer. Think it was 1 day of driving and going over everything, then another half day and the test immediately after. £500 odd it cost all in.

Handy if you know your way around a trailer already!

this.... Trailer Training- 1 Day - Ians Training Solutions

Reactions: IL

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
Check this out but iirc they ditched the trailer tests in england to fast trac hgv drivers. Just check was this applied or will be applied in the future to NI

Martyn

RMS Regular
I did mine with Ians in Newtownards on the fast track thing they offer. Think it was 1 day of driving and going over everything, then another half day and the test immediately after. £500 odd it cost all in.

I did mine with Ians as well. My test was a little different because it was a D+E test.

One days training and 1/2 day test. They told me when to come - they had the test booked for me following the days training.

dddrrift

RMS Regular
I did mine with Ians as well. My test was a little different because it was a D+E test.

One days training and 1/2 day test. They told me when to come - they had the test booked for me following the days training.
yep, same here, think i did mine in 2017 so hard to remember the exact format. Mine was just the BE category

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Blimey, I had 3 x 1hr lessons once a week after work and the 4th lesson was right before the test. Was with Ians too. What do you do for a full day and a half?! :joy:

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
I used Jonny's Auto Academy in Cookstown a few years ago, I spent a few hours one evening doing all the off-road stuff and then on the day of the test we did a half day before the test doing on-road and going over the off-road again. Not sure if they're still doing the trailer tests or not now though

dddrrift

RMS Regular
Blimey, I had 3 x 1hr lessons once a week after work and the 4th lesson was right before the test. Was with Ians too. What do you do for a full day and a half?! :joy:
everything you did in 4 hours with a bit more driving about is my guess! lol

edit, actually ians dont offer 1 hour trailer lessons, i just remembered! 2 hour minimum, suppose the hour would be gone in a flash by the time they got to the yard to start manovers.

Sure yours wasnt 4 x 2hour lessons plus test? works out same money, only fast track done in 2 days rather than a whole month!

Martyn

RMS Regular

1/2 Day spent reversing round the cones.... 1/2 day driving round Belfast with the trailer on - pulling in and out of bus stops.

1/2 day refresher training then test.

Bryan

RMS Regular
Check this out but iirc they ditched the trailer tests in england to fast trac hgv drivers. Just check was this applied or will be applied in the future to NI

Doesn't apply here unfortunately however if you have access to an English address you can get it added to your license with no stupid test and extortionate fees. There were talks of ditching the need to test for up to 7.5 tonne vehicles as well but I'm not sure if that was approved.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
everything you did in 4 hours with a bit more driving about is my guess! lol

edit, actually ians dont offer 1 hour trailer lessons, i just remembered! 2 hour minimum, suppose the hour would be gone in a flash by the time they got to the yard to start manovers.

Sure yours wasnt 4 x 2hour lessons plus test? works out same money, only fast track done in 2 days rather than a whole month!

Flip it could well have been two hours. It was booked as a package and we seemed to spend most of the time standing at the side of the road smoking :joy:

dddrrift

RMS Regular
Flip it could well have been two hours. It was booked as a package and we seemed to spend most of the time standing at the side of the road smoking :joy:
sounds like the same guy, was it a big fella? jeep was a tip inside? lol

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
Mine was a day and a half as well, but it was 3 odd hours driving then 3 hours driving with another muppet while you sit in the back and test next day. Think there was an hour before the test but was half an hour each 😂

Deffo a very dear day but I use the trailer every day so being on the right side of the law is worth it.

If I could back and do it again L plates and a cube on the flat bed and no instructor 😂

RWL

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
I done mine with Swift Transport Training - https://www.swifttransporttraining.com/car/

One lesson and a refresher lesson 1 hour before the test and then the test itself.

Lesson was handy just to be sure you are doing all the checks & hooking it on the way they want to see you doing it.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
@Conor have you tried Ken Irwin in Portadown…? The offer Sundays in the yard, which will cover the coupling/uncoupling, reverse exercises, on the spot questions and general Highway Code nonsense, so might be worth a shout if you haven’t already tried them.

I done my Class 1 with them and the wife down her Class 2 there and they’re a great crowd to work with.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
Didn’t realise the rules had changed in England - happy days for me living here

I could never be bothered to do the test so got others to tow for me on the rate occasion it was needed, now can do it myself

Conor

RMS Regular
OP
Conor

Sorted with a date and training with Ian's, thanks for that!

Mad that I have to go to Newtonards to do it, the instructor's local to me, including Wendy and Ken Irwin, weren't able to book me in at all unless it was a very short notice cancellation.

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
Sorted with a date and training with Ian's, thanks for that!

Mad that I have to go to Newtonards to do it, the instructor's local to me, including Wendy and Ken Irwin, weren't able to book me in at all unless it was a very short notice cancellation.
It’s a shame you can’t just go with Wendy or work something , I did one less with Ian’s and didn’t like it all , near put me off 😂

I went with Wendy and her car is class new shape xc60, she’s good craic, the portadown, moira, Craigavon roads are decent and if you know them you’re laughing! The two lads that do it Shane and can’t remember the other guy but they are both sound and tbh they don’t go to hard on you either.

If you can change I deffo recommend it but each to their own

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I used Ian’s and passed without a single minor. They’re 100%. You’ll be grand!

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
What exactly does the test consist of?
mine was a few years ago but it was something like reversing while full lock right and back up to a stopping point , unhook , check round your trailer and hook up again.

Then a 40 minute maybe drive just. Some say they are hard on you etc but the guy took me at Craigavon said don’t stress too much if you can drive 9 times out of 10 they will pass you.

I went with Wendy’s trailers , wasn’t fussed on driving about Craigavon and portadown as I know Belfast better but she had like 35 passes in a row and both me and the other fella also passed