Trouble bleeding brakes mk4 golf

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Jason

RMS Regular
As above, having major trouble trying to get a peddle on a mk4 golf tdi

tried it manually and heard u can wreck the master clyinder so iv replaced it, iv tried manual bleeding in the correct order and master cylinder, iv tried pressure bleeding with a wee cap and bottle on the res, also tried pressure bleeding where it draws fluid from the nipple

gonna go mad here if i cant get it sorted, anyone help? only thing im left with is VAGCOM doing the ABS pump?

fordzy

RMS Regular
Drives
Skyline, JDM dc2
Have you checked to see if the brake lines are crimped or nipped anywhere?

fordzy

RMS Regular
Drives
Skyline, JDM dc2
Are you not getting a pedal what so ever, is it just going straight to the floor ?

big cyril

RMS Regular
What was it like before?
Some mk4's have a long travel before anything useful happens.

Jason

RMS Regular
OP
J
Brakes were 110% good bite off them infact, theres long travel and then theres no brakes at all till ur at the floor, even then its not even full strength lol

fordzy

RMS Regular
Drives
Skyline, JDM dc2
Even if you pump it like mad until you get a pedal, then open the bleed nipple and press down slowly on the peddle to release the pressure... at the bleed nipple is it spitting the fluid out out or just a constand flow?

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
Check the brake hoses for "ballooning" when the brake pedal is pressed. Failing that get the ABS bled.

Jason

RMS Regular
OP
J
Even if you pump it like mad until you get a pedal, then open the bleed nipple and press down slowly on the peddle to release the pressure... at the bleed nipple is it spitting the fluid out out or just a constand flow?
when pressure bleeding its a constant flow

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
Have you bled her at the two nipples on the master cylinder?

whyme?

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk IV Golf
What work has been done on the brakes apart from the master cylinder being replaced?

Jason

RMS Regular
OP
J
rear reason they needed bled was the rear axle was removed to fit new bushings, thats all, i only replaced the master cylinder because i cudnt get a pedal and was told they flip a seal when manual bled

whyme?

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk IV Golf
quick search found this

(taken from uk-mkivs.net)
From the symptoms you have it's highly likely you have air trapped in the master cylinder and/or the ABS controller. It's a common problem with golfs due to the design of the braking system. When I did a fluid change I suspect I may have let a tiny bit of air into the system which eventually ended up getting trapped in the master cylinder and ABS pump and made my pedal near enough travel to the floor before doing anything. This gave the brakes no feel at all and the whole braking systems felt soggy and awful. I tried pressure bleeding the system at least 4 times and still couldn't get them any better. The pedal would feel hard with the engine off but as soon as you started it it near enough dropped to the floor. The problem is that the master cylinder and ABS pump trap any bit of air that passes them during fluid change and bleeding and this cannot be freed without doing this:

Firstly look/feel along the bottom of the master cylinder below the fluid reservoir, There is 2 more bleed nipples there (usually with rubber caps on them). Bleed the lower one first then the upper one. You should get some air out of here.

If the brakes still don't feel great you will need to get hold of VAG-COM and run the ABS bleed process. This will prime the ABS pump (runs the pump for about 10 seconds) then will ask you to open both front bleed nipples. Do this then press enter on the laptop. It then asks you to press the pedal down 10 times. Once this is done it asks you to close the bleed nipples again then it runs the ABS pump again. You then have to repeat this process about 6 times before it tells you the ABS bleed process is complete. As I had clear bleed pipes I could see the air coming out, air that was left in the system after several pressure bleeds.

I then did a quick pressure bleed of the fronts again for good measure before seeing if it had helped. I was well happy, no excess pedal travel (now about 10-15mm free travel), and firm brakes with no soggy feeling at all. The same if not better than they were when I got the car.

Try bleeding the master cylinder first but ultimately I reckon you will need to run the VAG-COM process'

Alan_B

RMS Regular
Drives
Whatever
Ugh I got the hold of a pressure bleeder so this wouldnt happen. .. . not sure what to do now, last time I got air in the abs pump it bust off one of the braided hoses and ended up with a £200 bill. Looks like I wont be doing mine and my mums til I get a lend of a good copy of vagcom!

Did you get yours sorted Jas?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.