Turbo'd Locost Kit Car - chasing 300bhp!

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
More bits arrived throughout the week.

fR9BQcW.jpg

I bought some CNC plates specific to the Haynes roadster and some lathed bush tubes etc so making them should just be a case of slotting them into the jig and welding up.

rAZUKzd.jpg

I6KgVQn.jpg

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Still picking up some bits as I go along:

OMP Flat bottom wheel
eJ8exaK.jpg

OMP 4 point harnesses
dKt6xsD.jpg

Aluminium fuel tank
oVmIr6C.jpg

MK Indy dash panel
SvjvwFp.jpg

Bonnet
8qFZfwE.jpg

Oh and my engine crane arrived, so we offered up the engine to see what room there was for a turbo - LOADS!
7yJkGfR.jpg

YRFsYPc.jpg

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
And the English axle has just arrived to replace the Atlas axle I was going to go with originally. Much better shout this as it comes complete, with brakes etc too.

DXqEfHO.jpg

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
The one photographed above is an atlas, an English is front loading.

Maybe you intended to upload the pic of the Atlas.

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
The one photographed above is an atlas, an English is front loading.

Maybe you intended to upload the pic of the Atlas.

Seriously? Lol, I bought it on the understanding that it was an English! If only I knew what I was on about lol. On the plus side, I paid £120 for it so that must be an absolute bargain!

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
Yeah that's not an English axle, the diff in an English axle is bolted on to the front. It could be any number of atlas axles or it could be a Koln, if it's a koln then you'll struggle to find an LSD for it. If you put up a picture of the diff mounting side then it'll be easier to identify.

Reactions: IL

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Seriously? Lol, I bought it on the understanding that it was an English! If only I knew what I was on about lol. On the plus side, I paid £120 for it so that must be an absolute bargain!

Yep that's 100% an Atlas axle! do you know what ratio it is?

English - the main casing is formed steel not cast, just the pigs head is Cast. and the bolts are too the front (front loading)

DPvJJI0WkAEZrnq.jpg

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6

English - the main casing is formed steel not cast, just the pigs head is Cast. and the bolts are too the front (front loading)

View attachment 222714

Ahhh.....haha, oh well I have it now. It means I can push more powwaaa lol

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Yeah that's not an English axle, the diff in an English axle is bolted on to the front. It could be any number of atlas axles or it could be a Koln, if it's a koln then you'll struggle to find an LSD for it. If you put up a picture of the diff mounting side then it'll be easier to identify.

This?
DrjW3pl.jpg

2yWTJo8.jpg

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6

View attachment 222714

How do I identify what ratio it is? I was told it was 3:7 but not sure if be confident of this now

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
sounds like you were told a lot of things! refund?

No.....as long as its an atlas, I'm happy enough. The CWP and whatever else, I can change going forward. I can't delay it any longer trying to find a replacement axle. If its atlas, I don't have to worry about it bending even with big big power. If its a koln, I'll be getting a refund.

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Its a 52" full Width Atlas axle, the drain plug gives it away & diff cover is rounded.

To Check ratio - You can see how much one rotation on the input rotates the wheel flange, or you can pull the diff down and divide the Crown wheel teeth by the Pinion tooth number.

On Sierra diffs there are some stampings on the casings to tell but at this stage who's to say it hasn't been altered. 3.75:1 is a popular ratio and was installed in lots of models.

Are you staying on rear drums? if your going discs you will need to have the hubs lathed down or the discs opened up by a few MM.

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Its a 52" full Width Atlas axle, the drain plug gives it away & diff cover is rounded.

To Check ratio - You can see how much one rotation on the input rotates the wheel flange, or you can pull the diff down and divide the Crown wheel teeth by the Pinion tooth number.

On Sierra diffs there are some stampings on the casings to tell but at this stage who's to say it hasn't been altered. 3.75:1 is a popular ratio and was installed in lots of models.

Are you staying on rear drums? if your going discs you will need to have the hubs lathed down or the discs opened up by a few MM.

Thanks mate. I'll check the ratio when I get back from Rome on Saturday. I'm staying with drums for now. I'll fit a set of wilwood brakes up front and see how it responds from there. If I need/want to upgrade the rears thereafter, I will do

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
There is very little need for the rear braking.

The only major advantage on a 7 would be getting rid of the weight of the drums, cylinders & shoes for a nice alloy calliper and lightweight disc.

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
There is very little need for the rear braking.

The only major advantage on a 7 would be getting rid of the weight of the drums, cylinders & shoes for a nice alloy calliper and lightweight disc.

Are the conversations not pretty expensive though? I'll probably go that way but will stick with the drums on the rear for now.

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Are the conversations not pretty expensive though? I'll probably go that way but will stick with the drums on the rear for now.

Not if you go with the handbrake Sierra Calipers,

I actually have a pair of Weld on mounts for sierra calipers on atlas axle and Lightweight discs to suit in the garage if you are interested!

Would take £75 for the Discs and Mounts

Attachments

• 50314612_2263002803969442_912075226299236352_n[1].jpg
    50314612_2263002803969442_912075226299236352_n[1].jpg
    99 KB · Views: 70

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Not if you go with the handbrake Sierra Calipers,

I actually have a pair of Weld on mounts for sierra calipers on atlas axle and Lightweight discs to suit in the garage if you are interested!

Would take £75 for the Discs and Mounts

Let me think about it!

Reactions: IL

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6

So based on the advice of turning the flange and counting the rotations, I believe I had a 3.44 ratio differential. Not sure how that will feel but we will see when on the road!

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Another productive weekend at the car, although it doesn't look like much......got the wishbone brackets on and squared up with the aid of a jig.

SUjXS2p.jpg

kOorIxg.jpg

Also slotted the axle in to see how it would look

dLaAr0Z.jpg

LVXqQuz.jpg

I then removed all four of the original axle brackets - they were well on!!

9Kpz4wf.jpg

l6r5Uds.jpg

So it's cleaned up and ready to take the new brackets.

I also picked up a nice floor mounted pedal box kit with remote bias adjuster and braided brake lines....

NrCTKs1.jpg

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
Drives
Silvia PS13
This is something I know absolutely nothing about, but it seems pretty epic. I'll be keeping an eye on the build, it looks a cracker!(y)