"Tyre-weld" opinions.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
Found an old thread but it's from 2007.

Is there any down side to it ?

My car doesn't have a spare (supposed to have run flats but doesn't anymore, has TPMS sensors aswell).
It doesn't even have a jack, but then why would it if there's no spare !
There is a space for a scissor jack but I'm thinking of a tin of Tyre-weld would be better as long as it doesn't mess me up at the tyre place.
But then again, the alternative is buying a spare GTR wheel with a tyre and have it sitting at home in case I need rescued, which sounds like an ordeal.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
I'm in the same position. My current car and my previous BMW came with a a compressed tin of moose.

I've bought a second tin of Tyre Weld and a small compressor which I have tucked away in the boot. I'd not be convinced that there is enough pressure in tin alone to inflate the tyre, hence the wee compressor.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
I'm in the same position. My current car and my previous BMW came with a a compressed tin of moose.

I've bought a second tin of Tyre Weld and a small compressor which I have tucked away in the boot. I'd not be convinced that there is enough pressure in tin alone to inflate the tyre, hence the wee compressor.
First thing I did was check to see if the wheel needs jacked up first. It says it doesn't but I'd nearly prefer to anyway just to try to keep it uniform.

I've carried a tyre compressor and jump leads in all my cars so might just get a tin. I'll buy a jack for the foam mould insert there is. (The tool kit was an optional extra apparently 😳)
20231223_142211.jpg

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I carry the wee plug kits in all mine which would do for a rogue screw. I also have a spare wheel I keep at home for each one for emergency use.

I always thought tyre weld made the tyre unrepairable and my experience with it in the past was its crap and didn’t work.

Best bet is have AA or whatever. If it’s really bad they can scoop you and take you to a local tyre place. Otherwise get a decent compressor and limp it to nearest garage anyway.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
These are excellent kits, we sell a lot of them. They’re the same as the OE kits you’d get in a new car, and the liquid doesn’t ruin your tyre as it can be washed off if your puncture is repairable.

You can also buy replacement bottles of liquid.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
I carry the wee plug kits in all mine which would do for a rogue screw. I also have a spare wheel I keep at home for each one for emergency use.

I always thought tyre weld made the tyre unrepairable and my experience with it in the past was its crap and didn’t work.

Best bet is have AA or whatever. If it’s really bad they can scoop you and take you to a local tyre place. Otherwise get a decent compressor and limp it to nearest garage anyway.
In the old thread it mentions that once cleaned out its hard to get a plug/patch to stick ? Plus you'd wonder about the state of the TPMS.

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
These are excellent kits, we sell a lot of them. They’re the same as the OE kits you’d get in a new car, and the liquid doesn’t ruin your tyre as it can be washed off if your puncture is repairable.

You can also buy replacement bottles of liquid.

That looks the ticket, been thinking about this for 4yrs with the zed lol. Been lucky so far. Will pick one up from you end of the month

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I've never had any good experience with any of the tyre weld products although that gear from Woodcutter sounds much better. If you can get it I'd always go for an on board spare and the means to fit it (Jack & brace or nut gun). My experience is that a puncture will always happen at the most awkward time and then sitting waiting on someone to come and fix it is a pain in the hole.

Always a good plan to have a full sized spare ready to go at home if you have to carry a space saver in the car.

Then again, I'm paranoid about being stranded anywhere lol.

anlygi

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR
I'm with Coog and just have the breakdown option, if I ever get more than a slow puncture, and always carry a compressor in my cars. In all my years driving, I've only ever had three punctures, two of them shortly after fitting new PS4's all-round. Thankfully both were slow and repairable as the only sign was the nail and screw I noticed when washing rather than the tyre being visibly deflated, so I was able to top up the air and drive to get them repaired. First wasn't slow but happened in a car that had a spare wheel.

I never had breakdown cover on any of my cars until E46 ownership... That 330CI left me stranded more times than Translink.

Compressors don't put out pure nitrogen though!

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Full size spares in each car and a compressor. Anyone relying on just tyre weld is brave imo esp of its a bad or big puncture

Do cars just not have room now? Or is it cost saving from manufacturers? Both our cars are 2017 and was surprised they both had full sized spares tbh

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Most of the more recent punctures we've had have been due to pothole damage that also damaged the wheels, so a spare is the only option to keep rolling until a repair / new tyre is sorted. Most recent was the middle daughter's clio and she had a full size spare which she fitted to get home. That wheel was damaged and the others were a bit shabby so got them refurbished and I went for a slightly wider/higher profile tyre all round to make them less prone to damage. Also now the speedo is accurate and not over reading by a good amount, result.

A good secondhand option for a jack is a mondeo. They have a 16mm hex on them which is great for driving the jack up with a nut gun. I made a wee conversion socket to 21mm for the MX5 to use on events and works great.
20231024_193109.jpg

I have a marker on the sill so I can get both wheels on one side up at the same time and swap front to back if wear is an issue mid event.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Depends on the car. Some of mine have full size spare and some just came with a can of gloop and a pump. That's going back to 90's stuff too.

I also wonder how many check the spare regularly. Some space savers need to be 60+ PSI to work. I've bought cars and the thing was at 20 or even flat and would have been useless in an emergency.

Also worth removing and torquing wheel nuts too. Took me to swing on a 3ft bar to get ones off the TT. Would have had no hope with the OEM brace at the side of the road. On the van the cage release bolt had rusted solid and needed about an hour of heat and oiling to come off - would have been a right bollocks to sort.

I guess these are only things most folk think about stuck at the side of the A1 with lorries blowing past 2ft away at 60mph... in the rain.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
Depends on the car. Some of mine have full size spare and some just came with a can of gloop and a pump. That's going back to 90's stuff too.

I also wonder how many check the spare regularly. Some space savers need to be 60+ PSI to work. I've bought cars and the thing was at 20 or even flat and would have been useless in an emergency.

Also worth removing and torquing wheel nuts too. Took me to swing on a 3ft bar to get ones off the TT. Would have had no hope with the OEM brace at the side of the road. On the van the cage release bolt had rusted solid and needed about an hour of heat and oiling to come off - would have been a right bollocks to sort.

I guess these are only things most folk think about stuck at the side of the A1 with lorries blowing past 2ft away at 60mph... in the rain.
I spent an hour in the rain with no phone signal trying to work out how to get the spare out of the work van (no book or phone to google).
Once I finally got it out, realised that I couldn't get the puncture wheel off anyway as it was ugga dugga'd on.
Lucky I was at a petrol station in Hollywood so put as much air as I could get and drive to our tyre place.
I've no room for a spare wheel, and not sure I'd bother with the expense of a GTR wheel and tyre to have sitting at the house either.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I spent an hour in the rain with no phone signal trying to work out how to get the spare out of the work van (no book or phone to google).
Once I finally got it out, realised that I couldn't get the puncture wheel off anyway as it was ugga dugga'd on.
Lucky I was at a petrol station in Hollywood so put as much air as I could get and drive to our tyre place.
I've no room for a spare wheel, and not sure I'd bother with the expense of a GTR wheel and tyre to have sitting at the house either.

I’ve space savers from other cars for mine sitting spare. EP3 one for the Swift for example. Was only £20 odd.

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular

Exactly this. Both Merc and Porsche told her when collecting her new car to just push the roadside assistance button and let them deal with it rather than use the tyre repair stuff in the boot.

Not even sure the Porsche even has that tbh, the merc def did.