Ultrasonic Cleaner Help

chrisQ

RMS Regular
I've been thinking on getting myself an Ultrasonic Cleaner for a few motorbike and car parts for projects etc. I've seen a few on Ebay at reasonable money. Anyone experience with them and which is the best cleaning fluid for them?
Cheers

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
I have a small one which I use for cleaning my scuba regulator and watched, jewellery etc.

they are very handy.

fluid depends on what you’re cleaning to be honest. Be careful using caustics or even strong alkalines on soft aluminium parts but at the correct concentration they can clean incredibly well.

56oval

RMS Regular
For car parts you need a decent size tank. I have free access to my friends ultra wave. It took some time to get the concentration right. Too weak and it doesn't really do much. Once you've got it sussed the results are great. Get a piece of baking foil and test it, if it starts pinholing you are on your way. Be aware of the fumes.

Simon83

RMS Regular
My dad has one around the size of a shoe box that he uses for carbs, small motorbike parts. It brings old parts up like new with very little hassle. We also have a 50l one at work for cleaning fuel and lube oil filters. The specific ultrasonic cleaning fuild is expensive. My dad fills his with hot water and adds a couple of drops of fairy liquid and it works spot on. At work we use hot water and a cup of APC and again works great. It would be interesting to compare the results using specific ultrasonic cleaning liquid to the Hot water and APC.

Peter

RMS Regular
I have a 2L one and it's great for the smaller bike parts and another tip is to dip the loom multi connectors, brings them up like new.

I use this fluid, it dilutes down and works well.

chrisQ

RMS Regular
OP
chrisQ
I have a 2L one and it's great for the smaller bike parts and another tip is to dip the loom multi connectors, brings them up like new.

I use this fluid, it dilutes down and works well.

Thanks for all your help folks. Definitely think it'll be handy having one. What size of parts roughly could you clean in your one @Peter
What size is your one @Captain Starlet?

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
Drives
S2000
Thanks for all your help folks. Definitely think it'll be handy having one. What size of parts roughly could you clean in your one @Peter
I will hoke it out today but it was one of the larger ones, I wanted it for cleaning the rear cassette on my mountain bike and other components like chains and sprockets. I will pm you details

Peter

RMS Regular

I would say the biggest thing you could get in it would be a single pot calliper. I was given it so didn’t have a choice in size. Go for as big as you can fit into your workspace.