Underseat Subwoofer

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Tinners

RMS Regular
Drives
Forester S Turbo
Looking for a little more bass, but the boot of the forester is basically a dog house, so no room for subs.

Anyone ever had any expereince with under seat subwoofers?

Big Andy

RMS Regular
Drives
Peugeot
Handy for saving space.

Sound wise they are not great but handy installed

Tinners

RMS Regular
OP
Tinners
Drives
Forester S Turbo
Was just after something abit more bassy than the stock speakers (will be getting upgraded also) Lack of space in the boot made me consider them so was hoping someone had experience with them lol

Mark_D

RMS Regular
Drives
Defender 90 XS
Properly sound deadening the doors will give a good increase in bass from the speakers. Doors are very poor speaker boxes (I don't think any of the major HiFi manufacturers use car doors for home systems) so the more you can make the door like a speaker box, the more you will get out of the speakers.

Ceebl

RMS Regular
Drives
330d/C2 Loeb
Properly sound deadening the doors will give a good increase in bass from the speakers. Doors are very poor speaker boxes (I don't think any of the major HiFi manufacturers use car doors for home systems) so the more you can make the door like a speaker box, the more you will get out of the speakers.
It would be more sealing the doors to make them into a box rather than sound deadening them surely? Either way it will improve the low freq response a little but you are still playing with speakers designed to give a full range, not solely for the lows a sub provides... So if its strong low frequencies you are after you would want a seperate sub(s)
Have no experience of the underseat ones but as long as they can provide a low frequency response they should be grand, considering that the normal boot builds are impressive but complete overkill.If you want normal listening volume and low bass, I imagine the underseat subs would provide a nice boost

Mark_D

RMS Regular
Drives
Defender 90 XS
You are right ceebl. That is why i said the more you make the door like a speaker box, the more you will get out of the speaker. I use the sound deadening to seal the inner skin of the door. Sealing alone won't make the door a good enclosure. If you knock the door skin on any of my cars they have a solid thud to them, much like a speaker box.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
You do need to add deadening to the door panels as the door skin will flex causing a rattle and not keeping the air pressure right to help get the best bass

Phil_EK9

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR/E36
You could have one behind the middle seat if it folds. Or maybe a false floor in the boot if you can work a bit with wood?

Tinners

RMS Regular
OP
Tinners
Drives
Forester S Turbo
You could have one behind the middle seat if it folds. Or maybe a false floor in the boot if you can work a bit with wood?

Dont have a folding seat. If i didnt have the dogs in the car pretty much all the time i would go for a full boot build, but two dogs take up a surprising amount of room.

The solution to this problem, as to most automotive dilemmas is to get a bigger turbo

Its on the cards already

Originally that was my plan, but again, dogs.

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
You could make a big door in the boot build and seal the dogs inside the sub cabinet. Dogs luv a little bit of drum and a little bit of bass...... or, humanely, use a vented or ported dog carrier/ sub box!

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Custom built fibreglass box using the recesses of the boot corner or side? That's what I'm having fone with a nice wee diamond ten inch sub

Lol, you still rocking an install?!

Mrs Lyons banned them long ago. The A8 has a standard sub though, and I regularly get told off for having it too loud and that as a father now I shouldn't be listening to hip hop :cool:. Isabella does love a bit of T-Pain however.

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
Hell yeah lol Cav still has all the audio kit and I was plannin small system for vxr8 but has spiralled to a digital processor focal three ways two wee profile genesis amps and a ten inch diamond :grinning: hoping to have it all installed in the coming week or two

There's an eight or ten speaker sys in vxr wi two subs built in but it's pants

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
Well there's still 420bhp to play with when a dull song appears :p

But nice to have a nice wee audio sys and know audio advice will do a neat job

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
Photos upon completion! Some of us still prefer dB to hp!

As requested

Hertz high energy 3 way comps, bass speaker in standard door location, mid and tweeter in a pillar build trimmed in alcantara
Comps runnin off genesis profile four
Diamond m5 10" sub
Runnin off genesis profile sub
Custom build plain and simple to look pretty oem and keep boot space for camping hols and buggy for wee man etc
iPod build in centre console
Audison bit ten d processor with display built into the ashtray
A lash of sound deadening

Only iphone pics at mo

C7504DD6-0CD3-46C9-B86C-A792C87FDB0A_zpsocgwpi7h.jpg

321E236D-90B0-450D-B5A4-DA1EBFC6E861_zps2xhqjf5a.jpg

20FDDD45-A7AE-4E1D-93CA-5E0EDBE3422F_zps5mlu1gmp.jpg

173DFDED-E4B1-4EB0-ACB6-1A71927D0FED_zpsz6dljsbx.jpg

9D26FE26-CB86-446F-9CA6-2CF63AC397DD_zpsgg0bku0r.jpg

6B477178-838B-46A8-8DDD-A69BD9AE57D0_zpsgb5mguc2.jpg

8F06FC9B-853C-4545-9C9C-5B0FC60F5090_zpsvouu6izm.jpg

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.