Untaxed Car Fine

joel44w

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap scrap
Got the dreaded untaxed fine letter from DVLA yesterday for £129 🤢

Only bought the car last month and has had no mot

I haven't driven the car on the road until last weekend when i was taking it to mot (i must of got flashed then somehow!! didnt see any cameras nor passed any anpr cameras)

Would I have a leg to stand on appealing it since the issues with getting an NI mot at the moment and being unable to tax car because of this?

strange the fine is so big for me only having the car a month!

Or maybe just do what i think i have to do and suck it up and pay!

paddyirishman

RMS Regular
I thought it was OK to drive an untaxed vehicle to an MOT appointment? If you can prove you had a pre-arranged appointment you should get off (as long as they haven't caught you driving on a different date that is)

joel44w

RMS Regular
OP
joel44w
Drives
Jap scrap
Doesnt matter about MOT, or driving past cameras etc.
If you are the registered keeper of a vehicle, it must be either taxed, or SORN'd. You are being fined for the period that you've had it and not SORN'd it

You are most likely right here as date it gives is not the date i went to mot on. Really strange as honestly the car has not been on the road!

Should of sorned it at the time!

Simon998

RMS Regular
Drives
90's Junk
You just reminded me to SORN the xjr. Hopefully I don't get a letter.

Dervhead

RMS Regular
Drives
SEAT
Got the dreaded untaxed fine letter from DVLA yesterday for £129 🤢

Only bought the car last month and has had no mot

I haven't driven the car on the road until last weekend when i was taking it to mot (i must of got flashed then somehow!! didnt see any cameras nor passed any anpr cameras)

Would I have a leg to stand on appealing it since the issues with getting an NI mot at the moment and being unable to tax car because of this?

strange the fine is so big for me only having the car a month!

Or maybe just do what i think i have to do and suck it up and pay!
Hilarious really, one of my neighbours has many visitors, most of whom are driving about in untaxed vehicles, some not taxed in over 2 years!

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
I remember a tale of some young girl who had a C1 or an Aygo or something - one of those £0 VED cars. She thought because there was no tax to pay, didn't have to do anything. Got the reminder letter, still didn't do anything and carried on driving. A matter of weeks later, she got the fine letter.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Got email there supposedly from DVLA saying it was my last chance to tax my car(click this link) both of my cars are taxed so definitely a scam.

Dervhead

RMS Regular
Drives
SEAT
He's being nosey and putting all the reg's of his suspected brothel/drug dealer neighbours cars into the tax checker... Why he's doing so is beyond me.
Haha! If only you had a neighbour like mine, count yourself lucky you don’t. For starters, I like to know who is parking IN my driveway at all hours of the night and day, maybe you wouldn’t do, but I guess that’s what makes us all different.

Usual wise guys chatting out of their behind…

Last edited:

KevM

RMS Regular
Cena Ooo GIF

Simon998

RMS Regular
Drives
90's Junk
Haha! If only you had a neighbour like mine, count yourself lucky you don’t. For starters, I like to know who is parking IN my driveway at all hours of the night and day, maybe you wouldn’t do, but I guess that’s what makes us all different.

Usual wise guys chatting out of their behind…
1700333390914.jpeg

The reg check tells you nothing apart from whether a car is taxed/MOT'd. I still don't see your reasoning. Squeeling on them to the tax office? Seems like an awful waste of time.

Dervhead

RMS Regular
Drives
SEAT
View attachment 417351

The reg check tells you nothing apart from whether a car is taxed/MOT'd. I still don't see your reasoning. Squeeling on them to the tax office? Seems like an awful waste of time.

Who said I performed a reg check? You know nothing about me fellow forum member. So many assumptions, so few brain cells...

will1588

RMS Regular
Drives
Merc Est 1.8
Interesting contris, i had same issue twice in the past 2 years , both with UK mainland cars, Swansea said my car had been on the highway during a time when she was sat motionless on my owned lawn, i argued that i had sent a bloody sorn notice and had the post cert proof, copied it to them so they backed off, and just this year i had another wanting a fine of 112, and could prove that the vehicle was in my repairers premises high in the air, and sent a letter to that effect they just said sorry thats really no excuse , we need cradle to scrap tax, not in so many words , so i got to writing another letter the gist was, no smart phone no PC so i use a paper way , that it leaves a paper trail, and if i really push this when or if we ever get to court i think i can dig up a pic from the post office camera of me buying an envelope stamp and getting post proof of date day and time when i sent you my sorn notice , but its up to you.. week later i had Swansea's back down and allowed it from the 2nd week of ownership in August that was around mid October ,i went and taxed it same day for 6 mths from November.. In My opinion SORN doesnt work , and i dislike the fact that Swansea hate working with the Northern Ireland connection and try to stick the boot in at every opportunity.. and most of all the greed where they take tax off both parties in any swap in a date in that month..w

leek9

RMS Regular
Drives
GTR FD2R SiR
why don't they just change the rules so that you can tax a car without MOT? I've had fines for no tax, as it probably ran out while i was waiting for an MOT, once MOT'd i tax the car and bin the fines...

will1588

RMS Regular
Drives
Merc Est 1.8
AS regards MOT'S and the required test before one can tax the vehicle,its a high embarassment to the uncivil servants that Supposedly ''run the Mot '' WITHIN N. IRELAND. i have had a couple of tests recently once for mine and another for a mate and no way were they killed working, like the docs and the general health service have also worked to suit themselves not those they should be caring for, with the MOT crowd since the debacle of the overused broken down lift scenario , then Covid, then relaxation for new mot operatives of little if any motor engineering knowledge or skill set...used to be trained technicans and should still be that..
In my opinion as someone who has many many years of experience on just about every facet of the motor trade, I know that if i was employing a Chief Exec to run a Construction Company, he would need to understand how the company operated , how the N.Irish building trade operated, how he affected it and how it effected him and my company and using his work experience surround himself with trained experienced people who knew the business and how it should be run..
NO the civil servants here know as much about the whole vehicle parc in the North as a dog knows about its father.. so seen with the situation that affects us all.. I would be interested to know if and how many have been prosecuted for 'road tax' because of having to use a car that the mot couldn't provide a mutually suitable date and time within comfortable reach of their home address..its a bloody ridiculous situation and the computer booking wait and very little phone access is getting silly..and all the Gov Depts these days think that everyone has a smart phone and the use of one at all times of day and nite...w