Upgrading stock system advice...

anlygi

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR
The wife got me a nice Pioneer double DIN stereo for Christmas with DAB and Carplay and of course, that has sent me down the rabbit hole of looking at speaker upgrades and sub... The standard system in the Civic is, without question, the worst of any car I have ever owned. So much so, I never even turn it on.

Would the 50Wx4 of the Pioneer be enough to drive a set of basic Focal components (Focal 165 AS 2-Way 6.5" Component Car Speakers With Sound Proofing Deadening Material Sheet) and possibly coaxial rears (if I upgrade those as well), or am I looking at external amplification?

Don't want anything too mad in the sub department either as I like my boot space and neighbours. As the general consensus seems to be underseat jobs aren't great, I'm looking at 8" or 10" at a push for the boot. Been looking at the Focal Bomba BP20 as reviews seem to suggest that can puch above it's size.

To be honest, the standard system has been decent enough in my past couple of cars I didn't feel the need to upgrade or add a sub. Maybe the speakers would be enough of an upgrade on their own, or with amplification. Read the headunit is the main issue and the standard speakers aren't too bad with a decent headunit so maybe I should try it first without anything else :joy:

Last edited:

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
Audio advice built me a wee system into the daily motor and it sounds phenomenal

Xfire is the brand

Went for three ways up front
A single 12” sub I already had
And a digital eq to link it all into the standard head unit

It sounds better than the Cav which was 3-4x the cost and has twice as much kit in (sign of the times)

Amps are fairly small and easy to hide

In saying that Mrs for a wee install too, again the digital eq to piggy back off the standard head unit as so much is controlled from it other than audio

Basic two way components up front and a 6” sub in a ported box hidden in the boot floor and it has a fair kick to it so there are options out there

Attachments

• IMG_1886.jpeg
    IMG_1886.jpeg
    264 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1882.jpeg
    IMG_1882.jpeg
    295.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1877.jpeg
    IMG_1877.jpeg
    325.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1875.jpeg
    IMG_1875.jpeg
    298.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1866.jpeg
    IMG_1866.jpeg
    311 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1858.jpeg
    IMG_1858.jpeg
    261.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1865.jpeg
    IMG_1865.jpeg
    227.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1863.jpeg
    IMG_1863.jpeg
    283.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1857.jpeg
    IMG_1857.jpeg
    252.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1856.jpeg
    IMG_1856.jpeg
    340 KB · Views: 0

anlygi

RMS Regular
OP
anlygi
Drives
FN2 CTR
Fitted the Pioneer head unit yesterday to discover one of the front standard speakers is borked, with only the tweeter outputting sound. Couldn't even get the connector out as it was fused to the speaker with rust, which would explain it not working, and disintegrated with force. So Focal 2-way components and Bomba BP20 sub ordered whilst they were on sale...

I see in the manual for the sub (https://www.focal.com/sites/www.foc...ment/access-bomba_bp20-user_manual-notice.pdf) it suggests at least 7AWG power and GND cables, which seems excessive for a sub with a max output of 300W? I'd have thought even 8AWG was excessive, but would 8AWG be alright or should I stick to what Focal suggest and go to 6AWG? @Cartunes I know you're the man on these things!

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
If it's any use, I will be selling a set of brand new Focal's like you posted. I ordered 2x sets of them for my Legacy, but the rear doesn't have separate tweeters so I've ordered the wrong stuff for the back

The set I have brand new in the box is one of these, RRP £179

Amazon product ASIN B004YPWWTY
£100 and they're yours. They're a step better than the Focal Access (Polyglass range)

anlygi

RMS Regular
OP
anlygi
Drives
FN2 CTR
If it's any use, I will be selling a set of brand new Focal's like you posted. I ordered 2x sets of them for my Legacy, but the rear doesn't have separate tweeters so I've ordered the wrong stuff for the back

The set I have brand new in the box is one of these, RRP £179

Amazon product ASIN B004YPWWTY
£100 and they're yours. They're a step better than the Focal Access (Polyglass range)

Damn. They're already on the way to me from Dynamic Sounds or I would have! Same for me in the back, need coaxials. You going amped? Curious what you're using if so. I'm going to see what they're like off the head unit before deciding.

Dynamic Sounds advised they use 8AWG themselves, so I should be fine for the sub.

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
Damn. They're already on the way to me from Dynamic Sounds or I would have! Same for me in the back, need coaxials. You going amped? Curious what you're using if so. I'm going to see what they're like off the head unit before deciding.

Dynamic Sounds advised they use 8AWG themselves, so I should be fine for the sub.

I did use an amp, yes. I fitted a JBL A9004 under the drivers seat, and a InPhase USW300 active subwoofer under the passenger seat.

Bit of info on it on my car thread