Volvo V50 how to upgrade the audio?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

_James_

RMS Regular
Drives
V50/M135i
well if my Volvo wasn’t dull enough, the sound system is average at best and as a car is aimed at pensioners and the insanely dull it does not have a USB port.

Now here is were the problem lies, the headunit and climate control are integrated which seems to make it impossible for me just to ditch the factory system and fit my trusty Kenwood headunit.

Has anyone got any bright ideas on how the **** I can upgrade the sound on the most disappointing car ever made?

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Look at the GROM kits available for Volvo, they are a direct plug and play. You can fit double DIN headunits to these too but any I've seen done look awful

jimcupra

RMS Regular
How about a hands free kit to stream your music and upgrade existing speakers. Be a lot cheaper and I'm sure the genius above @Cartunes could advise your best options.

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
How about a hands free kit to stream your music and upgrade existing speakers. Be a lot cheaper and I'm sure the genius above @Cartunes could advise your best options.
Might work but the ones I've fitted as a past genius only streamed to the front speakers through a crappy amplifier.

jimcupra

RMS Regular
I noticed that with the parrot in my car it played in mono. I just thought it was due to mine being an older 3100 model.
Might work but the ones I've fitted as a past genius only streamed to the front speakers through a crappy amplifier.

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
I noticed that with the parrot in my car it played in mono. I just thought it was due to mine being an older 3100 model.
I don't think that the 3100 streams chum - early ones definitely don't. BURY kits certainly did, but the quality was as ropey as a car head unit. I'm well out of the game now, just a hobbyist and not up to the current range of in car aftermarket technology!

jimcupra

RMS Regular
Well if it does its badly lol. Do you still install audio del? I have an amp, sub, front speakers and head unit for the focus. I have limited tools now and with the parrot in the car I would struggle to remove it. Being colour blind really doesn't help.
I don't think that the 3100 streams chum - early ones definitely don't. BURY kits certainly did, but the quality was as ropey as a car head unit. I'm well out of the game now, just a hobbyist and not up to the current range of in car aftermarket technology!

warren

RMS Photographer
You must have a really poorly spec'd V50. What year is it?

I used to have an S40 T5 and its still probably my favourite car Ive owned. Mine had the mid range "High Performance" audio in it and it was better than almost every other normal car I've been in bar the S80 I had after with the Dynaudio system. The High Performance system had a big external amp in the boot behind the side panel too.

My car was a 2004 so didnt have USB or AUX, my way round this without spending a fortune was an inline FM transmitter that was hard wired onto the cars antenna. Gave a fairly reasonable sound output too, stereo and my only real complaint was a faint hiss from it when the volume was up a good bit.

Mark_C

RMS Regular
Is there an option to retrofit the audio from a higher spec model to keep it looking standard?

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
Is there an option to retrofit the audio from a higher spec model to keep it looking standard?
Yes..... My suggestion in a previous post. J L cleansweep or similar. It cleans the output from the head unit and feeds an amp and speakers. The amps can be very compact

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
It’s hard to beat the oem usb/interface for perfect integration.

I’ve no idea how volvos work though, and whether it can be retrofitted like Audi, BM etc.

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
1D575875-64A3-4637-9E9B-622746980B6E.jpeg
1DF6D3C0-BFE4-44B2-9CF5-50A727B8B930.jpeg
Vxr8 was similar head unit part of the dash and pain in the hole

Got an audison bit10 fitted so could have an iPod input and it was digital eq aswell allowed amps to be connected etc was great piece of kit

Controller I had fitted in ashtray and on mrs’s a4 we put one in too and out control unit into sunglasses storage in headlining so could flip mdown for adjustments

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
Not sure how far you’re looking to go with an upgrade but it audison do some great amps that have the bit ten technology built into them, 5 channel as a complete system builder

_James_

RMS Regular
OP
_James_
Drives
V50/M135i
Not sure how far you’re looking to go with an upgrade but it audison do some great amps that have the bit ten technology built into them, 5 channel as a complete system builder

I’m only after a USB input, otherwise I can live with the current sound quality.

Mark_C

RMS Regular
someone mentioned grom - i have one in my old S60 and it does everything you need - aux and usb etc

AndyMc

RMS Regular
Drives
C350
Like wise grom in my v70, usb, iPod and Bluetooth.

Make sure you don't have a USB under the armrest.

gizmo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Vrs Octavia
Would a parrot mki9200 not do your job?
USB,aux,Bluetooth and SD,all with good sound quality
I put one in mine and find it a good job

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
Pure highway? I've one in the bm and it's grand for streaming and dab. Just a aux in and a USB cigarette charger

impact

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
BIT ten a bit overkill perhaps then... think they were around £350

Still about that for one version, bit cheaper for the other. Can be got reasonably on eBay as I did mine. You will need laptop or lend of one to set it up too.
Great for keeping OEM functionality.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.