W T F - New NI DOE Road Safety Advert

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Dub_cub 89

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo 6 / cbr400rr
That's shocking, mk5 Astras really should be recalled to address the severe stability issues present before many more school children get wiped out. It's worrying that Vauxhall didn't pick up on the cars ride and handling deficiencies before they started production too, perhaps they should now review their testing procedures as a precautionary measure and issue disclaimers with their cars

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
That's shocking, mk5 Astras really should be recalled to address the severe stability issues present before many more school children get wiped out. It's worrying that Vauxhall didn't pick up on the cars ride and handling deficiencies before they started production too, perhaps they should now review their testing procedures as a precautionary measure and issue disclaimers with their cars

Very good point...most adverts these days blank out the cars badges, markings etc. Seems the DOE are highlighting a major flaw with the Vauxhall Astra. Must send an email to Vauxhall highlighting that their cars are dangerous and very unstable, and likely to flip over sideways through a wall at any minute with no provocation whatsoever.

Just emailed Vauxhall UK a link with the concerns about their that model, suggesting there may be a recall needed.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Or maybe the advert is telling a different story. Like The Omen ?

The child is some evil VooDoo type, and he has cursed the blue Astra, and held a grudge against his schoolmates and decided to kill them all.

Would be far more believable than a few mph over a limit causing such an accident

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
I'm struggling to understand what to take from that if I'm honest.

All seems fine as he starts turning into the bend and then, judging by his face, he either has a stroke or follows through on a sneaky fart before the girlfriend gets in the car.

Like to see your face if you came round a corner and found a fecking film crew standing in the middle of the road, they say to expect the unexpected but come on now lol

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
Very good point...most adverts these days blank out the cars badges, markings etc. Seems the DOE are highlighting a major flaw with the Vauxhall Astra. Must send an email to Vauxhall highlighting that their cars are dangerous and very unstable, and likely to flip over sideways through a wall at any minute with no provocation whatsoever.

Just emailed Vauxhall UK a link with the concerns about their that model, suggesting there may be a recall needed.

The DOE highlighted a similar problem about 15 years ago with the Cavalier too

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
Drives
Rover's!
"Never ever ever pull a hand brake turn on a wet road and steer out of the turn whilst approaching a wall"

Doesnt have the same ring to it. ****ing harsh advert, to far, far to far to much for anyone to view. IMO disgrace and should be banned.

Whats next for the adverts? Man gets out and rapes the girl he just ran over ffs. This is far to much IMO.

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
Was about to say, that astra must have been doing some speed to not only smash through the wall at Malone but to then make it to hillsborough, through all the trees to then squash some kids.

Pile of w*nk once again from DOE.

^^^ @Colin - got to get her before she goes cold man, surely you know this by now

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
Drives
Rover's!
They need "how to use a roundabout" "how to drive on a motorway" and "why people are honking and fingering at you, you stupid t**t in an audi a4 td(red)i who isnt using his indicators!" videos

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
They need "how to use a roundabout" "how to drive on a motorway" and "why people are honking and fingering at you, you stupid t**t in an audi a4 td(red)i who isnt using his indicators!" videos

Other suggested titles include but are not limited to:
"Finding 4th & 5th gear once out of your driveway"
"Road Rage - reasons people hate you"
"Quarter Tapping - you were asked politely 3 times"
"By all means abide by the speed limit, but do it in the correct lane"
"Crossing the Border - a beginners guide to driving in Mexico"
"Momentum - preventing abnormal wear of everyone else brake components"
"Awareness - how not to sh*t yourself when being overtaken by people you never saw coming"

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
"Im in a van, your in a car. Why the biggest vehicle wins arguement at all times explained by Dr Evil and Minime...."

"why the number of wheel nuts counts when it matters"
"Whiplash - what it actually feels like" - WARNING, this is an attendance based course!!!
"DLA - your guide to modern vehicle purchasing plans"
"NI Office - Insuring Joyriders since 1975"

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
Drives
Rover's!
"D.L.A usage tips - Why a white Nissan Qashqai looks best outside your council house with a mattress in the front garden parked under your FLEG"
"Traffic lights and zebra crossings. For pedestrians to help them understand the long forgotten difference between safe and not safe"
"Cyclists driving on footpaths then swerving onto the road randomly - There will be a swear box provided"
"Mums on a school run - How to spot them, avoid collisions AND be prepared for when they mount the footpath at 47mph! MILF's encouraged"
"Red diesel myths busted - It didnt kill the pump in your mate's da's mum's cousin's pet dog's favourite postman's 306, it was the fact she was more screwed out than ur ma"

Brennan

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
Seems they have finally crossed the line of what is deemed acceptable. A step too far.

Very strange, my dad has a mk5 astra 5dr in the same colour lol

Last edited:

Dub_cub 89

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo 6 / cbr400rr
Who actually decided that this was a suitable way to spend our hard earned public money and signed this horse sh!t off? To think that we pay our TV licence fee only to be bombarded with this utter bollocks makes me sick. I mean we're all bankrolling this load of w**k! the more I think about it somebody should be sacked over this one IMO :mad:

Jethro

RMS Regular
It's strange that they do not show us any statistics or make any road safety films highlighting the dottery old b*stards in their 80's and 90's that should never be let behind a wheel or drive out in front of everyone and cause accidents, but then again that would be deemed age discriminatory.

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
Having driven that corner many times I am still trying to work out just how you land yourself in that situation.

Sure you don't even need to lift

Screen Shot 2014-06-23 at 13.35.48.png

marco pandolfi

RMS Regular
Drives
VW T5
Quit few years ago when I was 17 I youse to drive like a f••king mad man now I'm 42 I drive like daisy may
If I seen that ad 20 years ago it would have made no differents

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
About 2001, I missed a flight home from London as BA overbooked it. There were 2 others that also befell the same fate and they put us up in an airport and would then put us on the morning flight. Anyway, dinner was paid for too so ended up talking to them over dinner about BA and missing the flight, blah blah.

It then got round to what we did and I learned that they both worked on these DoE ads and they asked me what I thought of them. Now at this stage I didn't have a driver's license and politely said it wasn't aimed at me but I often changed over when they come on (still do in fact). Anyway, the female of the group came across as a bit of a "won't someone think of the children" type and they were over pitching their services to someone in London. No idea if they ever were successful.

To me, these ads have gone over the line a long time before this. I remember the topic of speed safety campaigns coming up on pistonheads (as you all know, a UK based motoring site) and I linked them to the "Michael" advert ("Michael will hit his girlfriend hard enough to give her brain damage", that one) and most pretty much thought it was was too graphic to be shown on UK television.

The problem with this advert is that there are too many factors other than just speeding. Was the driver tired? Was his car serviced correctly? Were his tires of a quality brand and his tread depth sufficient for the conditions? Was there any debris or residue on the road that might not normally be there to cause him to lose traction?

There are many factors that caused us to lose 56 lives last year in NI and while I'm not an expert, I don't believe these ads are affect it one bit. Why? Because the initial shock tactics of the original ads are now lost by simply recycling the same advert scenes over and over. I'd much rather see ads that highlight motorway discipline, car maintenance checks (I know of some friends of mine who wouldn't even check their tires or know how to), general driving tips (e.g. correct following distance, how to over take safely, how to join a motorway safely) and think they would have a much more positive effect that these adverts we currently have.

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
not to mention, the car would need to be going twice that speed or more to do that hollywood-style nonsense.

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Seems trying to tar everyone with speeding is the sexy thing to do

New road safety as from Canada

Quebec Road Safety Ad

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.