Wanted - Rear axle for DIY trailer

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
Looking a rear axle for a trailer. Currently, my mounting points would be around 96" but I'm happy to have an axle shortened to accommodate this.

Looking at caddy axles, but they're calipers for brakes and I'd prefer drums.

Anything considered, as long as it's in decent order. Quite like the idea of something that has shock mounts.

Will be a 750kg-1000kg single axle trailer.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Up to 750kg you don't need brakes which might help?

Last I had was box section with fiesta hubs welded to the ends and generic trailer leaf springs which kept it low.

ace275

RMS Regular
OP
ace275
Drives
Legacy SpecB
I know I'll not need brakes, but I like the idea of a handbrake rather than messing with blocks and trailer legs. Bit overkill, but I'm after that.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Yeah Iā€™m sure you know what you need but things like handbrakes on trailers are a nightmare for jamming on. Even on a brand new trailer they say not to use it. I never use the handbrake on mine. Is it going to be single axle?

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Maybe I'm not understanding this but 96" sounds way wider than your average car trailer?

Like coog, I have a trailer with box tube axle and car drums. Golf Mk 2 or 3 I think.
Problem with using car brakes is that you don't have auto reverse, so it's a bit of a pain having to get out and lock the damper every time.
Or maybe there's an easy solution to this? Not sure.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Some of the old bradley hitches had the wee flap you could flick down before reversing which might be the job. They also had the ratchet on the top for the handbrake to engage too.

A good thing to look out for might be a knackered caravan. They normally have galvanised chassis and are normally already braked.

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
Ah šŸ˜‚ 96cm

Massive oversight there!
What about a couple of indespension units? On a trailer that small I wouldn't be looking brakes either as it's a pain when they seize which would be more likely when left sitting parked

variant

RMS Regular
Drives
T5, Up Gti
I've a scrap trailer here with a decent axle and usable hitch, wheels, new tyres and mudguards etc but the floor has rotted through

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
What about a couple of indespension units? On a trailer that small I wouldn't be looking brakes either as it's a pain when they seize which would be more likely when left sitting parked
I'd agree with this. 96cm wide changes things, so turns out it's a very small trailer. The indespension units also have basic suspension damping built in, so that solves your want for shocks too.

ace275

RMS Regular
OP
ace275
Drives
Legacy SpecB
Still like the idea of it being braked even just for the handbrake. If it turns out to be a pain, I can always disable the brakes. Easier than adding them down the line.

The suspension units freak me out a bit, I had one suddenly fail before on a boat trailer which I had to drag home on the floor (Thankfully wasn't far from home)