What did you do to your motorcycle today?

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
Drives
S2000
Had to double check I was in the right thread with the beaut E46 vert above!

Continuing with tidying up the bike:
New clutch lever
Sanded down mirror arms and lacquered
New rubber covers for mirror bases
New bolts for mirror bases as current ones were chewed up a bit.

Have to remove the tank later and fit a new petrol gauge float/sender as I fried the existing one a few days ago when I reconnected the wiring harness incorrectly (Honda made two wiring harness plugs the same shape and it was 1am).

Learning a lot and understanding how everything works.

Yesterday I was ‘testing’ the front brake after changing the fluid and it locked up on a bit of gravel in the middle of the road. The front wheel slid to one side and I put my foot down to stop me dropping the bike. Have a nice big lump on my calf now thanks to the foot rest 😆

View attachment 427632View attachment 427628View attachment 427630View attachment 427629View attachment 427631View attachment 427633

Brilliant work, love all these small improvements. The attention to detail is great.

saxo_man

RMS Regular
Fitted a new fuel gauge sender that inadvertently wrecked last week. One bolt holding the tank on, easy bike to take apart. Fitted a used one rather than a copy one, as I think stuff like this needs to be genuine.

IMG_9286.jpeg
IMG_9284.jpeg
IMG_9279.jpeg
IMG_9277.jpeg
IMG_9280.jpeg

saxo_man

RMS Regular
I was out last weekend on the bike at night and it was very hard to see anything on the back roads, it was appalling to be honest.
I cleaned inside the headlight (dead flies and coating on inside of glass) and changed the filament 35w bulb to an LED bulb. There was a bit of rust on the headlight casing so I treated that and then sprayed it with matt black paint. New springs and screws added to the light fitting too.
The visibility is perfect now, I enjoyed the spin tonight, and matches in with the led indicators too. I painted the sidelight bulb blue, that is temporary until get an led off eBay.
Handlebar area is looking tidy now with everything replaced or painted, and I treated the surface rust on the frame/chassis and painted it black.
Next plan is clean up the silver metal covers on the lower part of the bike and sort the pillion foot pegs that are loose and fall down too easily.

IMG_9364.jpeg
IMG_9369.jpeg
IMG_9385.jpeg
IMG_9387.jpeg
IMG_9388.jpeg
cameraRollTempImage.jpeg
IMG_9399.jpeg

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
Got it out for its first proper scalp today. I love bikes,

All ready to leave this morning,

1000044073.jpg

On our way home,

1000044106.jpg

Finally made it home after 6 hours out,

1000044117.jpg

Dirty girl all cleaned up and ready for the next outing,

1000044124.jpg

1000044130.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Washed the pair of them yesterday and then took the MT09 out for its first proper squeeze after getting absolutely drenched when I had it out on Monday afternoon.

1711360227627.jpeg

IMG_2111.jpeg

Going to see about getting a steering damper and then ring Clarence Bell at PLR to get the suspension set for my weight and riding style… It’s an absolute hoot to ride as is to be fair.

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
@Gareth whats the belt interval like on the WC monsters?

Had mine done in Nov 2022 as part of the sale and reading only you get them done every 5 years and the Desmo service is done at 18k miles. So, I'm probably 2 years away from my Desmo service and will change the belts then too. Will probably keep it for another year after that then see what I fancy next. V4 Pikes Peaks might be affordable to me by then🤣🤣

hannakournikova

RMS Regular
Had mine done in Nov 2022 as part of the sale and reading only you get them done every 5 years and the Desmo service is done at 18k miles. So, I'm probably 2 years away from my Desmo service and will change the belts then too. Will probably keep it for another year after that then see what I fancy next. V4 Pikes Peaks might be affordable to me by then🤣🤣
2 years on the air cooled ones 😳

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
Bought it….then Sod’s Law had to get a puncture repair on the back tyre with a thorn through it when I came home😩 Never ridden a bike with such a tight, precise gearbox. Auto blipper is unreal.
Reliability TBC….🫠

Edit just to say for all the negative comments you hear about McCallens motorcycles, they couldn’t do enough for me today to get the puncture sorted at zero notice with a full workshop. Phillip himself and Marty in service took it on themselves to get it done for me ASAP 👌
IMG_8948.jpeg

Last edited:

wes

RMS Regular
Lovely, health to ride. Been torturing myself to get another bike let my last one go back about 10years ago for a 2nd car regret not just holding onto it now lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240330_201329_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240330_201329_Facebook.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 0

Slimsbikers

RMS Regular
Drives
S1000xr
Bought it….then Sod’s Law had to get a puncture repair on the back tyre with a thorn through it when I came home😩 Never ridden a bike with such a tight, precise gearbox. Auto blipper is unreal.
Reliability TBC….🫠

Edit just to say for all the negative comments you hear about McCallens motorcycles, they couldn’t do enough for me today to get the puncture sorted at zero notice with a full workshop. Phillip himself and Marty in service took it on themselves to get it done for me ASAP 👌
View attachment 429578
Lovely bike. Health to ride 👍

Lee

RMS Regular
Reliability TBC….🫠

View attachment 429578

So... Maybe you need a few runs out, but what are your feelings towards this after an MT10?

Brian mc21

RMS Regular
Had it out for a run. Second time out since my accident which was a year ago yesterday. Strange being out and realising you can’t ride it the way you normally would or want to for now but we will get there. So different, things like remembering which way the road you have been on loads of times goes etc.

Attachments

• IMG_7603.jpeg
    IMG_7603.jpeg
    435.7 KB · Views: 0

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
So... Maybe you need a few runs out, but what are your feelings towards this after an MT10?
Very first thing I noticed was the riding position is a lot more sport bike oriented, legs are higher and bars are lower and it is very narrow compared to the MT thanks to the V4 engine.
Engine is by nature a lot smoother but feels angrier, doesn’t like being at part throttle at low speeds, hunting almost like an older car with a high lift cam wanting you to drive it on. May just be whatever map settings it is in at the moment. Have no idea how to work any of the electronics or what they mean 😂 No physical owners handbook so have sent to Aprilia for the downloadable PDF I’ll have to read through.
Absolutely zero underseat storage so have to stick the backpack on for even carrying the disk lock!
Don’t know if the suspension is in soft mode but it’s very comfortable and less jarring than the MT was.

Get you up to AH Superbikes and get my old MT bought. She’s a good one 👌

wes

RMS Regular
Very first thing I noticed was the riding position is a lot more sport bike oriented, legs are higher and bars are lower and it is very narrow compared to the MT thanks to the V4 engine.
Engine is by nature a lot smoother but feels angrier, doesn’t like being at part throttle at low speeds, hunting almost like an older car with a high lift cam wanting you to drive it on. May just be whatever map settings it is in at the moment. Have no idea how to work any of the electronics or what they mean 😂 No physical owners handbook so have sent to Aprilia for the downloadable PDF I’ll have to read through.
Absolutely zero underseat storage so have to stick the backpack on for even carrying the disk lock!
Don’t know if the suspension is in soft mode but it’s very comfortable and less jarring than the MT was.

He keeps some great stock. Got some lovely ducati's and an mv agusta the other day

Reactions: Lee

Lee

RMS Regular

The Tuonos are a lovely machine. Well finished. Just been on for a look at your old MT10, it looks in good nick! I'd have to shift on the FZ1S before I'd do anything. But definitely considering an MT10.

Alan_B

RMS Regular
Drives
Whatever

I had to google how to turn the traction control on haha. If you look for the silver + / - buttons in the right bar then I think that is a quick was to turn everything up or down. Could be wrong though. And actually the manual isn’t much help tbh 😂

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
New pads all round on the Monster last night. Need to replace the fluid over the weekend. Calipers were tidied up too before refitting. The chain looks terrible, but it's only surface wear. I plan of replacing the c&s this year too.

20240404_185544.jpg

20240404_183802.jpg

20240404_192721.jpg

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
New pads all round on the Monster last night. Need to replace the fluid over the weekend. Calipers were tidied up too before refitting. The chain looks terrible, but it's only surface wear. I plan of replacing the c&s this year too.

View attachment 430073
View attachment 430074
View attachment 430075
I will probably get spanked for suggesting this, but in my opinion that's what snowfoam does to a bike. Calipers, chain, sprocket, wheel bearings, just seems all wrong to me.

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
Wired in the optimate battery charger, rigged up a handlebar bag to carry a few small things (zero, I mean zero underseat storage on the Aprilia and I don’t want to go down the route of tank bags or tail boxes) but most importantly I pulled the baffle out of the exhaust 🙈 The V4 is a bit of an odd sound, doesn’t sound like a twin, doesn’t sound like a Honda V4, doesn’t sound like a Ducati V4, doesn’t sound like a crossplane Yamaha. Has its own unique note.
IMG_9047.jpeg

IMG_9052.jpeg

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
I will probably get spanked for suggesting this, but in my opinion that's what snowfoam does to a bike. Calipers, chain, sprocket, wheel bearings, just seems all wrong to me.

Why do you think that? The snowfoam I use is pH neutral and wheel bearings have rubber dust seals that will keep water out too. I'm very particular about keeping my bikes as clean and well looked after as possible. Been doing the same thing for over 20 years and not had any issues aside from routine maintenance.

Slimsbikers

RMS Regular
Drives
S1000xr
Wired in the optimate battery charger, rigged up a handlebar bag to carry a few small things (zero, I mean zero underseat storage on the Aprilia and I don’t want to go down the route of tank bags or tail boxes) but most importantly I pulled the baffle out of the exhaust 🙈 The V4 is a bit of an odd sound, doesn’t sound like a twin, doesn’t sound like a Honda V4, doesn’t sound like a Ducati V4, doesn’t sound like a crossplane Yamaha. Has its own unique note.
View attachment 430187
View attachment 430188
Doesn't sound like any other V4 but does sound f@@king class :grinning: Best sounding bike about imo!

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Why do you think that? The snowfoam I use is pH neutral and wheel bearings have rubber dust seals that will keep water out too. I'm very particular about keeping my bikes as clean and well looked after as possible. Been doing the same thing for over 20 years and not had any issues aside from routine maintenance.
Apart from the look of that chain, it's the thought of a detergent allowed to sit there creeping in around all those mechanical parts like brake pins and pistons and generally anything with moving parts. I suppose I was raised with an oily rag philosophy that you might see on old machines keeping all the mechanical bits well maintained. Don't take it personally, I know plenty of folk do it but it just gives me the creeps when i see it, lol.