what does a vtec do

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

daves106

RMS Regular
Drives
Mondeo ST220
i dont want to seem stupid here but what exactly does a vtec do engine wise

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
In layman's terms, the engine takes off using 8 valves (more torquey and faster off the line) then at around 5500rpm the other 8 valves kick in for lots of top end grunt and mega acceleration :laughing:

daves106

RMS Regular
OP
daves106
Drives
Mondeo ST220
cheers but i would like it in non laymans terms if possible its just i am maybe getting one and i was wondering what will be happening when it vtecs lol

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
Thats about as much detail as I know, Im sure someone else will come along and give the ins and outs of it :grinning:

bob

RMS Regular
scrob said:
In layman's terms, the engine takes off using 8 valves (more torquey and faster off the line) then at around 5500rpm the other 8 valves kick in for lots of top end grunt and mega acceleration :laughing:

Nah they're always 16v lad, its just the valves open more at higher revs.

daves106

RMS Regular
OP
daves106
Drives
Mondeo ST220
that helps but how does it use different lobes on the cam shaft does the cam shaft move or something

Jaws

Drives
Ford Capri/Almer
Yeah thats a great site, good for just about anything you need explained :grinning:

bob

RMS Regular
daves106 said:
that helps but how does it use different lobes on the cam shaft does the cam shaft move or something

Aye different lobes, so plenty of economy or power depending on your mood :twisted:

RickyB

RMS Regular
Drives
E3VO X
A vtec is a twincam engine with 16 valves. Up to 5500rpm the engine uses one cam that opens the valves to a certain limit. Once over 5500rpm it switches onto the second camshaft (like a highlift cam) making the valves open fully and then it revs it head off to about 9200rpm. U can hear and feel the switch over taking place.

daves106

RMS Regular
OP
daves106
Drives
Mondeo ST220
one other wee point how does it engage the second cam shaft surely there is only room for one in the engine if you use one at a time

bob

RMS Regular
One cam shaft with different lobes. When running below vtec revs, the engine acts just like any other, with the low rpm cam controlling the valves. When you hit about 5500 revs a rod connects the lairy cam to the valve followers, lifting them much higher. Not too sure how the rod appears though, probably to do with the vtec solenoid.

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
No mate, the DOHC means Dual-Overhead-Camshaft - there are two cams which sit parallel to each other. One camshaft is for the intake valves and one is for the exhaust valves.

For each set of valves, there are 3 cam lobes. Only 2 are utilised at low rpms, while the third is a high-rpm lobe . The engine is set up so it runs a mild cam profile before vtec. When you hit vtec (for example, around 5500rpm on a Civic VTi), the oil pressure changes in the engine and pushes a metal pin through the valve rockers. This effectively connects the 3 cam lobes, but they now follow the profile of the high rpm lobe, which opens the valves longer and for a wider duration. This equates to more fuel and air and thus more power.

It works nicely :laughing:

Gaz

Gaz

Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Thats another reason why vtec will not engage on a cold engine (not that anyone should be thrashing a cold engine anyway :?:grinning: - lack of oil pressure.

Gaz

daves106

RMS Regular
OP
daves106
Drives
Mondeo ST220
so does that mean the cam followers move over a bit are then contacting the bigger lobes on the cam shaft therefore opening the valves more giving more power

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
Gaz said:
The engine is set up so it runs a mild cam profile before vtec. When you hit vtec (for example, around 5500rpm on a Civic VTi), the oil pressure changes in the engine and pushes a metal pin through the valve rockers. This effectively connects the 3 cam lobes, but they now follow the profile of the high rpm lobe, which opens the valves longer and for a wider duration. This equates to more fuel and air and thus more power.

The man speaks the truth ;)

Gaz

Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Bronk said:
how does the 1.5 lsi vtec work then?

On the SOHC Vtec like the LSi, there is only a single camshaft and thus only the intake valves change profile - not the intake AND exhaust like on the dohc. It still uses the oil pressure to activate a pin which binds the valve rockers. In day to day driving, this means a much less agressive changeover and ultimately, less power. You still feel a bit of a peak when you rev the engine out but its not the kick in the back you get with a dohc.

Gaz

POD

RMS Regular
Bronk said:
how does the 1.5 lsi vtec work then?

to make it go faster u open the pannel beneth the pedals and stick ur feet out and start running

Gaz

Drives
M4 Comp Pack
I miss my vtec :worried: ...... but I may return to the Honda nest soon ;)

Gaz

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.