What for removing/fitting wheel nuts?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I've always used the wheelbrace that comes with the car to change wheels, but I'm fed up with the corners scoring the inside of the nut barrels. I feel like I'm missing a trick here and there should be something much better for the job!

Given how often I seem to be changing them, I've been thinking of an impact wrench. But I take it you still need something to break and tighten them?

A socket and spanner seems a bit wobbly.

Is there something I'm missing?!

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Sealey SX031 Alloy Wheel Impact Socket Set 3pc 1/2"Sq Drive 17, 19, 21mm | eBay

Those paired with a decent breaker bar around 18-24" long is spot on.

A half decent torque wrench would be a good investment though, as it'll greatly reduce the chances of sheering off a wheel bolt/nut, and you can be confident that they are fitted properly; not too tight to risk damaging the bolts, and not too loose so that they'd come off unexpectedly.

bmurf

RMS Regular
Drives
200sx
Put some duct/electrical tape around the socket so it doesn't score the wheels. Buy a breaker bar and keep it in the boot/garage/shed/mansion.... Whatever you have

RubberLover

RMS Regular
Something like this, with the sockets Nicky posted?

Sealey Breaker Bar 600mm 1/2"Sq Socket Wrench Drive Blue HI VIZ AK730B | eBay

Though I'm still tempted by an impact wrench.
I wouldn't recommend that because of the angle of the bend. Sockets, one piece breaker bar and a piece of metal pipe for more leverage if needed.

Those sockets have a plastic sleeve on them to protect paintwork but they're rubbish- pull off the sleeve and as said above, wrap in electrical tape

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Unless you're doing a lot of wheels....no real point in an impact gun. And unless it's a very good one, you'd need to slacken the nuts first anyway. And you would....should never start a nut with a gun and certainly never finish tighten with a gun.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I wouldn't recommend that because of the angle of the bend. Sockets, one piece breaker bar and a piece of metal pipe for more leverage if needed.

Those sockets have a plastic sleeve on them to protect paintwork but they're rubbish- pull off the sleeve and as said above, wrap in electrical tape

The angle of the bend ? It's a straight bar with a flexi head. If you need more leverage than a 2ft bar, something is badly wrong !

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Unless you're willing to spend strong enough money (£350+), you'll not get an impact gun worth talking about, and for all you'd use it, I imagine it'd be a waste.

A decent length breaker bar like you posted and a torque wrench is where I'd put the money.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
The angle of the bend ? It's a straight bar with a flexi head. If you need more leverage than a 2ft bar, something is badly wrong !

I've seen me reach for the jack handle to slip over the breaker bar at times, knowing full well that the last time the wheels were off was at a tyre shop and the nuts/bolts were rattled on with a gun. How they don't shatter is beyond me.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Went out and tried my cordless drill and it did the job 100%. I really only wanted something to make life easier and quicker, don't need an impact wrench.

I've used tape in the past but it ended up tearing. The only thing about those sockets is they seem quite long, so if you're prronf weight on the impact bar do they not lean off the nut?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
I'm liking the idea of the ratchet wrench Stevie posted, saves a few more seconds!

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
IMO get the longer sockets I posted. It places the breaker bar further from the wheel and in a more comfortable place to use, and also means teh bar etc will never be rammed against the face of any wheel in order to undo it.

The short sockets are *****, although ok for a gun.

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
A good breaker bar is great, especially for taking nuts off after a trip to get new tyres fitted, but I wouldn't use it to tighten them back up again with too much excitement.

I keep a telescopic wheel brace in the cars and it's usually more than enough to take off and tighten up wheel nuts. Then finish off with a torque wrench.

A set of proper wheel sockets is a wise investment (y)

IMG_3262.JPG

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
A good breaker bar is great, especially for taking nuts off after a trip to get new tyres fitted, but I wouldn't use it to tighten them back up again with too much excitement.

I keep a telescopic wheel brace in the cars and it's usually more than enough to take off and tighten up wheel nuts. Then finish off with a torque wrench.

A set of proper wheel sockets is a wise investment (y)

View attachment 136857

What make is that?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.