what kind of miles would put you off a car

mayweather

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 Evolution
as long as the sums add up, ie mileage vs resale value and taking into account it could be more difficult to sell.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
If it doesn’t have 4 matching Michelin PS4’s I ain’t buying it:p

You might laugh but I’d sooner something with more miles on it that someone’s stuck quality parts on than a low miler that’s been treated to ‘whatever’s cheapest mate’.

Can get a good feel about a motor pretty quickly with things like that.

Few years ago I went to see a car that had three worn and one new tyre on it. Owner had it 6 months and clearly couldn’t afford to run the thing, which he admitted later on during the departing conversation.

It made it a pretty easy low ball for me which he accepted out of desperation to be rid of the thing. Turned out to be a great buy too.

Mr.Mint

RMS Regular
Drives
Many Things.
Miles wouldn't put me off at all really.

If the body is good, underneath is good and after running for 30mins it hasn't overheated and it drives well, I would have no qualms buying it.

But I will admit that if it doesn't have a decent set of tyres, I would be dubious of how it's been looked after.

My van is just about to turn 230k and it's driving like new. Surely there are a few more interior rattles than there used to be but mechanically it gets anything it needs. It's actually going in July to get a few bodywork blemishes fixed.

c_rad

RMS Regular
Not scared of big mileage stuff in the slightest. Current Lexus GS is at 165k and tight as a drum (albeit a wafty slow beating drum). The ISF was on the same mileage when I bought it, history, receipts and servicing all add up and it drives well, 9/10 I'll buy it.

Bought an A6 once with 230k on it and it couldn't have drove better tbh.

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
Same as most, the affect on resale value worries me more than reliability or the car not performing as well. Most people in this county think the car will explode at 100k, particularly older folk. Bit of a vicious circle too as the drop in value discourages people from spending money on the car to keep it good as they think it's not worth it, or they pass it on to someone more careless, which then perpetuates the idea that higher mileage stuff is unreliable as things get left undone if that makes sense.

When it comes to classics, its always been the super low mileage, low owner cars that attracted me as they feel like a time warp.

He's done well!

Jamesc

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi TT, A4
Depends on what the use will be out of a car. Though generally miles doesn't bother me, especially for a second car/toy. I'd rather a lower mile daily though, only cause I can do quite a bit of miles in a year. If I done close to "average" mileage on a daily or was buying a second car for occasional use or a fun weekend car or something I'd buy on condition and service etc rather than miles.

Resale as said could be an issue, which is why I sort of stay away from higher miles for a daily, I buy something 130k+ it wouldn't be long hitting 200k And if I wanted to change who's going to buy it at that when alot of people steer clear of 100k. Having said that buying a more expensive car with lower miles, then putting miles on it the value fairly drops (well in normal car pricing!, I've been fortunate enough last 2 cars putting miles on them and made money, and as prices atm could do the same with the a4 currently), having said that I intend to keep the a4 and run it into the ground, I put the miles on it, and look after it I know the majority of the miles as I done most of them...so hopefully continues to be a "good car" *touchwood*

Ian A

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
It's resale for me that prompts looking for lower mileage examples, given the classic NI mentality. I'm a stickler for trying to minimise depreciation, so try to look for examples which might be on the higher end cost, but service history, condition and spec should help it retain that higher value. Or if they're not perfect but priced accordingly, I'll go for them.

Thankfully has worked, and have never taken much of a hit on any vehicles, but mileage itself doesn't overly bother me. It bothers near everyone else.

Sonny

RMS Photographer
One of the Impreza groups I follow is based in the USA and someone asked recently about the highest mileage car on the group. Quite a few sitting over 300k, highest I seen was 345k. So just another 245k to go to catch up.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Few from the hilux / hiace OC.

Biggest killer in the UK is rust. I’d say the same could be said for a lot of UK motors.

IMG_3991.jpeg
IMG_3989.jpeg

IMG_3992.jpeg
IMG_3990.jpeg

VinR

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330d
There used to be a lot of higher mileage stuff going down south which helped resale values. Not much going down now AFAIK.

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
I've had plenty of high mile stuff. Doesn't particularly bother me as I prefer to look at condition and history. For instance our current A6 BiTDI has 131k on it and drives fantastically.
20230317_165447.jpg

My Civic also has 187k ish on it. Not mint by any means but its a presentable daily that drives well.
20221117_090609.jpg

Have had plenty of other daily beaters at bangernomics money with 150k plus miles, some even 240k+. Bought for humble money and sold on no issues, sometimes making a few £ too.

mayweather

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 Evolution
I've had plenty of high mile stuff. Doesn't particularly bother me as I prefer to look at condition and history. For instance our current A6 BiTDI has 131k on it and drives fantastically.
View attachment 399363
My Civic also has 187k ish on it. Not mint by any means but its a presentable daily that drives well.
View attachment 399364

Have had plenty of other daily beaters at bangernomics noney with 150k plus miles. Bought for humble money and sold on no issues, sometimes making a few £ too.

My missus had a mk4 golf with 230k on it and I wanted nothing more than to see it hit 300k, then some plum drove into the side of her!

c_rad

RMS Regular
One of the Impreza groups I follow is based in the USA and someone asked recently about the highest mileage car on the group. Quite a few sitting over 300k, highest I seen was 345k. So just another 245k to go to catch up.

Nah lad, over 100k. She'd be scrap bai.

NedHan79

RMS Regular
Drives
clio dci
A lot depends on brand. French stuff definitely doesn’t stand up to miles than maybe German or jap stuff.

Also, how do you plan to use it? I put about 5k a year on my exeo. Bought it for the family car 8 years ago and needed a 7 seater a few years after so now it’s my daily. 2011 with about 94k. Not many with those miles but buying something with 100k wouldn’t bother me as it wouldn’t do much. I would get fussy though closer to 150k

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
I still see my old Passat b6 around, it had 245,000 miles when I sold it in 2016, it had blown the turbo seals, easy fix as the engine was grand.

I'd like to think it must be kicking on 300k now.

I went with my sister to view a volvo v70 in Dungannon last year, 229k miles on it.

We couldn't get over the condition of it, no stone chips, no wear on the inside. Curb rash on one wheel was literally the only mark, the 5 cylinder diesel as smooth as you like. She didn't buy it there and then because the mot had just run out and we couldn't establish if the mot extensions applied to a new owner, by the time we did it was sold. (And turned up for sale in a dealer in Ballynahinch with 3 grand added to the price, but actually the same mileage!!!)

anlygi

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR
I bought the Civic with 90k on it. Seen quite a few for sale in GB with north of 200k when I was looking. It might be a problem for those that do a lot of miles, but someone like me that only does on average 5k a year, it's less of an issue.

Mind it does depend on the car. I didn't particularly want a Civic, just a bargain hot hatch and narrowed it down to an FN2, Clio 197, Focus ST and Mini Cooper S. Other options were ruled out for one reason or another and ultimately ended up settling on the Civic as I didn't see too many of the other options for sale with that sort of mileage. It's left me stranded once in 10k miles, when the starter died.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Most cars I couldn't give a hoot about mileage, if it was a BMW, more than 1 mile and I'd be concerned.
Fascinating. BMW with 195k miles here and no issues to report, other one had 150 odd k and again was reliable.

Any particular reason why a BMW would be concerning?

Mel_45

RMS Regular
Drives
megane
I think the 100k and done mindset in NI is dwindling though. Majority of used cars are north of 100k these days or atleast anything I'm browsing generally is. Couple that with a price tag of between 6 -16k for cars with 100k minimum, it has to make people adjust their perspective surely?

Turks

RMS Regular
Drives
Passat/Impreza
I bought an a6 recently with 107 on it, doesn’t bother me miles as I’ve seen cars with over 300 on them.