What Next? Went for the Xsara

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

145db

RMS Regular
Sold the VTR a few nights back and I don't have a clue what to get next :? . I have been looking at

325i sports
GSI Astras
VTS Xsaras

What does everyone think??? Any other cars???

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Hmmmm ....... whats your budget? Do you want speed, reliability, etc? Insurance issues?

145db

RMS Regular
OP
145db
I can insure a group 16 car for not much more than the VTR, and I would like a bit more power than the saxo. The 325 would be fun but not practicle. I had originally thought VTS saxo but for another 2 insurance groups I could have a VTS Xsara, 50bhp more for 2 groups :laughing:

145db

RMS Regular
OP
145db
Rocko said:
buy mooks astra

I have been thinking bout his astra as its clean and well looked after, btw congrats on the feature

johnh

Drives
Saxo VTS
VTS Xsara definately! lol them things are crazy reliable too as long as they are kept between the hedges!

Gaz

Drives
M4 Comp Pack
How would the 325 not be practical? I've had 3 of them now and they had a lot more boot space than most other cars I had. Its as economical as you expect for a 2.5 and you can have your fun too :grinning:

Gaz

145db

RMS Regular
OP
145db
Skillie, 325's are group 16

Gaz, Unfortunately I live in the sticks and the last mile - 1.5 mile of my journey to the house is up a steep hill and I don't think the 325 would make it up home in the snow and I'm too lazy to walk it, lol
Can you tell me anymore about 325's Gaz??

Andy I have been thinking bout V-Tec power because for a 1.6 civic at 167bhp its class

Gaz

Drives
M4 Comp Pack
145db said:

What do you want to know? I've had 3 x 325's and 2 x Civic Vtecs so hopefully I can help :grinning:

Gaz

scotty

RMS Regular
Drives
ST Tdci / Saph
legacy turbo, four whel drive, good boot space, not that dear, a bit rare, only down point is that they drink petrol like its going out of fashion!

145db

RMS Regular
OP
145db
Gaz said:
145db said:

What do you want to know? I've had 3 x 325's and 2 x Civic Vtecs so hopefully I can help :grinning:

Gaz

Are they hard to maintain and how bad are they on fuel??

Gaz

Drives
M4 Comp Pack
The 325s are fairly reliable. The engine will go on forever if its had a proper service life, so make sure you buy one with a history. The weaker points of the car tend to be the body and some of the running gear - like many older cars, rust can be an issue. Check the usual places - arches, sills, inside boot and around door edges. Check all the roof edges and along the rear windows.

If you're test driving one, listen carefull for a whine around 50-70mph - this can be a sign that the diff has had abuse. If oil levels haven't been maintained properly the engine will become very ticky and this will not go away, so listen closely for that too. The 2.5 is a fairly torquey engine which builds up power progressively from around 2000rpm on, so make sure that it revs cleanly and freely.

General economy is a tough one to answer. My white 325 had 110k on the clock and did like a drink if driven hard, though it was fairly moderate the rest of the time - say 25mpg. The black one I had only had 47k on the clock however, and I only had to fill the tank every fortnight instead of every week - it was no harder on petrol than the Civic I had. If you can go for a lower mileage or recon engine then it will probably be a lot easier to run.

Maintenance wise, BMW are obviously expensive but you can get 90% of the parts you need from EuroCarParts or GermanSwedishFrench, both on the Boucher road - their prices are quite good.

I've prob missed loads of stuff but just ask if you've any more queries.

Gaz

145db

RMS Regular
OP
145db
I just want to get the right car and thats why I'm asking but you have explained very well, cheers

RComms

RMS Regular
Drives
E63
145db said:
I just want to get the right car and thats why I'm asking but you have explained very well, cheers

if your going for a VTS xsara, look at a GTi6. same engine, just with a nice close ratio 6 speed box :grinning:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.