Whats going on with MOT Availability at the moment?

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
The Integra's MOT is up in october and I'd ideally like to SORN it at the end of September. Went yesterday, booked for December. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Will keep checking for cancellations but the entire system is a shambles.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Same here, Honda runs out in September. Could only get a time in November and that was last week 😅 🙈

Signed up to a website that does the looking for cancellations thing automatically. Was £3:50 if they find a time. Could be a scam for all I know but worth a punt at that. Either way not expecting any cancellations until closer to September.

McFall1984

RMS Regular
Drives
To many cars
Woke up Sunday morning, 7.30 was getting ready to go for a run, checked dates for the cooper, got 1 for 10.35 in Armagh. If you check early doors, there available

Turks

RMS Regular
Drives
Passat/Impreza
Same here, Honda runs out in September. Could only get a time in November and that was last week 😅 🙈

Signed up to a website that does the looking for cancellations thing automatically. Was £3:50 if they find a time. Could be a scam for all I know but worth a punt at that. Either way not expecting any cancellations until closer to September.
My dad used one of them companies as he couldn’t be bothered checking himself. They got him a date that suited him fairly quick.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Don’t know if it’s been asked but what are people doing when they can’t get an mot date but there tax has ran out.

Parents merc is out of mot, booked back in June for September. Tried several times for cancellations but nothing came up. It ran out of tax on the start july and now received the last red banner last chance letter for tax.

If I can’t get a date soon there will be a fine, anyone rang the dvla to try and get the car taxed anyway or something?

salster

RMS Regular
Drives
mini
you run the risk of a fine or getting clamped even though it's no fault of your own, they won,t tax it without a current mot.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Yep, you're snookered. Can't tax without MoT. And can't keep the car on the road without tax, not even parked.

Keep looking for cancellations, you will get one. Go to the rebooking page and keep refreshing until something pops up.

Tax it for six months this time, then go back to every twelve months. That puts tax well out of sync with MoT and you never have this problem again.

chrisd

RMS Regular
Drives
Tiguan
Don’t know if it’s been asked but what are people doing when they can’t get an mot date but there tax has ran out.

Parents merc is out of mot, booked back in June for September. Tried several times for cancellations but nothing came up. It ran out of tax on the start july and now received the last red banner last chance letter for tax.

If I can’t get a date soon there will be a fine, anyone rang the dvla to try and get the car taxed anyway or something?

Just keep a eye out for cancellations, I booked my car over 4 months ago and could only get a date in August. Happened to check the site at 18.55 on Friday there and seen a slot pop up for 19.40 that evening in omagh so a spirited drive up and 20mins later I got my pass certificate

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Yep, they usually pop up a couple of days ahead. I guess most people cancel at short notice or whatever. It's a bit random though, just take whatever comes along, wherever it happens to be.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
At 9.10 this morning I managed to get a slot at 12 in Enniskillen. Was the latest slot for today so few last minute things as always and got headlights aligned on the way and fingers crossed.

89312CEC-A916-45EC-97FC-25F9F8A464E8.jpeg

Also plug the egr valve back in and cleared the fault light just around the corner 😅. Egrs faulty and putting it in limp mode, runs fine with it unplugged till I can get it sorted/bluffed some way.

seanmooney

RMS Regular
Fml , mot was up this week and booked end of jun and got a date in October, thought it will be grand as I dont drive the car much and if I’m stopped I have a test booked so should be ok.

I though for some reason when you done the direct debit it just keep rolling. Got a letter today to say if I dont have and mot by next week the tax is stopped .

Been checking all day and getting dates in December 😂. Complete joke . How do people cope in that situation when it’s your daily driver

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Fml , mot was up this week and booked end of jun and got a date in October, thought it will be grand as I dont drive the car much and if I’m stopped I have a test booked so should be ok.

I though for some reason when you done the direct debit it just keep rolling. Got a letter today to say if I dont have and mot by next week the tax is stopped .

Been checking all day and getting dates in December 😂. Complete joke . How do people cope in that situation when it’s your daily driver
Nope that happened me and the Mazda in May, tho I was only a week without tax so Didn’t bother change the date. I’d booked it in January for May tho lol.

Least now with my car and the parents merc the tax runs out before the new mot date so won’t have that issue again.

Try at about 9.05am, usually the best chance.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Ah, now there's a catch that will catch a few people out! Didn't realise that, I always pay in full. But if it's a monthly DD then I guess it counts as renewal every month... And MoT needs to be up to date every time...

So that's why so many get caught with tax and MoT at the same time...

The system is xxxx-ed.

Nothing you can do but keep refreshing the rebooking page until something closer pops up, wherever and whenever it happens to be.

My last one I had to trek to Armagh ffs... Was all good though, just a long way to go and half a day lost...

Mont

RMS Regular
Drives
SupraMINIMX5

I didn't know that either!

WSK

RMS Regular
Drives
R
Refreshed 20/30 mins last night, seen nothing handy.

Same this morning, was about to give up - when i got one for next Tuesday at balmoral. Happy days!

Just keep going back and forth on the site and hopefully something will pop up handy, for those looking. Updated constantly.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Yep, it's pot luck basically but something will pop up eventually.

Need to be quick too when something does pop up, they're gone again in a blink of an eye.

PDK

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E92 & E46
Tax up on the 1st Sept.
Booked MOT in April, expired 9th July -earliest date I got was 3rd Sept for Mallusk

Went on to see if there was anything sooner… nope

A85ACBFA-8DEE-4CDA-9166-53CF72A9BF32.png

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
Ah, now there's a catch that will catch a few people out! Didn't realise that, I always pay in full. But if it's a monthly DD then I guess it counts as renewal every month... And MoT needs to be up to date every time...

So that's why so many get caught with tax and MoT at the same time...

The system is xxxx-ed.

Nothing you can do but keep refreshing the rebooking page until something closer pops up, wherever and whenever it happens to be.

My last one I had to trek to Armagh ffs... Was all good though, just a long way to go and half a day lost...

No…it doesn’t work like that with DD,
They Don’t check you’re MOT’d every month - just when it gets to the end of the year from when you set up the DD- if you check you’re tax status after setting up a DD it will show a year.