Which car Golf GTI or Golf R

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
Just out of curiousity I am looking to see what everyones opinions are between the two?

basically I have decided after looking at all different types of cars including the new xc90 to a c-class merc I have decided (weirdly) on a 7.5 golf

now I understand that the golf r is 4wd and a lot quicker but atm I am preferring the styling of the golf gti - exterior with the red line and different bumper and the tartan interior I love strangley.

what is everyone elses view?

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Gti that’s been mapped over an R for me too, looks better and less of them on the road

gary87

RMS Regular
Drives
E350
You can absolutely drive a GTI PP a lot harder than you can a Golf R - the R just seems a bit excessive at times imo but the R really is a do everything kind of car.

Toeman

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf gti pp
the Gti stands out that wee bit more with the red accents imo

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
Owned a Golf R and did 30k miles in it.... I'd have the GTi over it. In fact if I'd bought the GTi when I bought the R I'd probably still have it. Only reason I bought the R was the deal I got was so good I could say no...it cost me less than I could get a GTi for and I was buying new.

A good friend had both, did big miles in them too circa 30k in 18 months in each and preferred the GTi too.

Last edited:

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
R. Nice having the comfort of 4WD there. Better spec’d as standard I think too.

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
OP
Nicky Glanza
Drives
BMX
I’m glad to see the gti being the winner lol I think the gti even looks much better even bumper wise and a benefit is they are bit cheaper!

JH86

RMS Regular
Gti manual all day long

Never understood why vw thought they would 4wd anything that made more Power than an Sri cavalier

pablo

RMS Moderator
I can only go on the Leon Cupra 290 but its a brilliant driving thing (bar when it breaks traction its horrendous for shudder).

Havent driven an R but they seem to be a great all rounder rather than an engaging drive

Mark315

RMS Regular
Drives
R
R for me, but I’m biased. Having had the styling of the GTI/GTD before - yes out of the box it looks better. But with a few subtle mods the R is far from ugly and with a decent exhaust will sound 10 times better.

I think the R is a little too sensible maybe, it does everything so so well that I think it makes it a bit of a negative. Part of me thinks this is due to the DSG, so would advice you drive a manual. I do think it’s the perfect daily though if you are doing low miles, not hard to fuel either

Having owned a mapped 7.5 GTD I definitely prefer the R with the 4 wheel drive. You can use all the power all the time with no wheel spin and not a lot of standard stuff will keep up with you.

Yes, you see a 7R on every corner...but not as many 7.5s. I have noticed a lot of 7.5 GTIs on the road too.

63E6B2DF-6ABD-40F2-A2FA-63E81F438B10.jpeg

Last edited:

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
OP
Nicky Glanza
Drives
BMX
R for me, but I’m biased. Having had the styling of the GTI/GTD before - yes out of the box it looks better. But with a few subtle mods the R is far from ugly and with a decent amount exhaust will sound 10 times better.

I think the R is a little too sensible maybe, it does everything so so well that I think it makes it a bit of a negative. Part of me thinks this is due to the DSG, so would advice you drive a manual. I do think it’s the perfect daily though if you are doing low miles, not hard to fuel either

Having owned a mapped 7.5 GTD I definitely prefer the R with the 4 wheel drive. You can use all the power all the time with no wheel spin and not a lot of standard stuff will keep up with you.

Yes, you see a 7R on every corner...but not as many 7.5s. I have noticed a lot of 7.5 GTIs on the road too.

View attachment 255831
That’s a beautiful car mark!