Which VW Dealer for service/warranty work

Laundrymike

RMS Regular
Drives
T4, S3, Mini
So...with the recent new purchase, wife maths meant she ended up in the newest car we've ever owned!

Eligible for VW extended warranty/service plan and is due a service in 6 months ish anyway - I'll gladly pay £37 a month for one less car to crawl under😁

Anyone had any good/bad/indifferent experiences of VW workshops lately?

Happy to travel to any really

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Well I just bought my new (to me) car from Edwin May and they were first class. They put brand new front discs and pads all round on the TTRS (which wouldn’t be cheap) serviced it, 1 years warranty, a full tank of fuel and an umbrella 😂.
I said to salesman today (Brian Hutchinson) I’ll be recommending them if anyone is buying or looking work done etc. The mechanic was 100% aswell, he probably swayed them to put the discs and pads on as they were still at about 50%.

Last edited:

Laundrymike

RMS Regular
OP
Laundrymike
Drives
T4, S3, Mini
Well I just bought my new (to me) car from Edwin May and they were first class. They put brand new discs and pads all round on the TTRS (which wouldn’t be cheap) serviced it, 1 years warranty, a full tank of fuel and an umbrella 😂.
I said to salesman today (Brian Hutchinson) I’ll be recommending them if anyone is buying or looking work done etc. The mechanic was 100% aswell, he probably swayed them to put the discs and pads on as they were still at about 50%.
Blimey - couldn't argue with that alright!
100% Phillips.
Lisburn, right?

Simon83

RMS Regular
100% Philips over Agnews Boucher road can’t comment on the others. I have the extended vow warranty package but only pay £25 per month so maybe worth checking online.

hannakournikova

RMS Regular
Philips Lisburn have been ok, installed a gearbox update without asking and had to go back to get adaptation sorted.
Done the water pump and car smelt hot for a period after and fan ran on but no faults found…

Agnews Belfast have been decent and got warranty work covered on my head unit and £2500 worth of brakes and suspension on wife’s motor that Agnews Mallusk didn’t notice when we bought it from them last year 🤔

Although Agnews Belfast couldn’t replicate the start stop issue it has and slow to get up to temp scenario either.

neil-c

RMS Regular
I've had very good experiences with Phillips. Had an ECU issue several years ago and a new one would have been well over 2k.

They suggested I get a second hand unit on eBay and bring it to them to code. It took a month for me to get one, but no big deal as I drove the weekend car and they were happy to keep the car in storage for me.

When I got the ECU to them, they reprogrammed and fitted it for about £220 and that includes the diagnostics. Sorted the issue for £375.

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
I've had very good experiences with Phillips. Had an ECU issue several years ago and a new one would have been well over 2k.

They suggested I get a second hand unit on eBay and bring it to them to code. It took a month for me to get one, but no big deal as I drove the weekend car and they were happy to keep the car in storage for me.

When I got the ECU to them, they reprogrammed and fitted it for about £220 and that includes the diagnostics. Sorted the issue for £375.

Doubt there would be too many main dealers would even make that suggestion never mind touch a used part. Fair play.

Tufty

RMS Regular
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
Well I just bought my new (to me) car from Edwin May and they were first class. They put brand new front discs and pads all round on the TTRS (which wouldn’t be cheap) serviced it, 1 years warranty, a full tank of fuel and an umbrella 😂.

I assume this was bought in Portadown Edwin Mays? They have a good team of Mechanics in there @mikey use to work there and our Mutual friend Chris still works in there and he is a good lad well tuned into what`s going on he does a fair bit of work for RMS`s after hours as well.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Yes @Tufty, I was chatting to the mechanic, he was 100% and seemed genuinely interested in the car 👍

Tufty

RMS Regular
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
Yes @Tufty, I was chatting to the mechanic, he was 100% and seemed genuinely interested in the car 👍

Brian is a good guy also doesn't push a thing on you if your interested your interested if not then no worries i really like it approach.

Congrats on the new car also.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D

Very similar experience myself. When I sold the Golf R some haldex part went that Agnews quoted the new owner £4k for. Phillips had a full unit from a scrapped Passat that they were able to take apart and utilise the part we needed, and did the whole thing for £750. I’ve never had a main dealer work with me as much as they do- they have a much more independent feel to them than a corporate one Agnews have.

davyk31

RMS Regular
Agnew Mallusk seem to struggle with a “do not wash” instruction.
Asked them not to wash when I phoned to book, they noted on the job card when I dropped it off and also confirmed to the person taking the keys. someone phoned me the day before I went back for it to say it was ready and he said I see a note you don’t want it washed, is that still the case to which I confirmed again not to wash it. Imagine my “surprise” the next day when I went to collect it and found it sparking clean having just been washed.
All of those instructions should have been clear enough and to top it all I had a big sign hanging from the interior mirror that no one could have missed saying DO NOT WASH!

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
Agnews Boucher have been great with me to be fair to them. Replaced a tyre under warrenty the weekend I got the car (a puncture repair was leaking). A few months (maybe 3) later the glow plug relay went and it was sorted very very quickly and when the mecatronics went in November there (an all in £4500 repair inc hire car etc) it's was a flawless process with regular updates etc, even sorted some suspension stuff under the warrenty at the same time that I hadn't even noticed.

Had always used Philips before and would recommend them also.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
I’ll definitely get a thread up when there’s a bit of sunshine, 2 blue skips in the one shot 😂

IMG_3215.jpeg

Carson

RMS Regular
Drives
R53 JCW/A4 B8.5
I used Mallusk Agnew for my first minor service on the Golf. I have a service plan.

No complaints with the service, I did notice the interval was not correctly reset but I returned and they corrected it.

My main pain point was that I expected they would update the ErWin system to record that service but I was told they do not use it or even have access to it and only use their in house VMS system.

It surprised me as I assumed all VW retailers would use / have access to ErWin but seems that is not the case following my multiple conversations with VW UK.

Perhaps it was my misunderstanding but to me having it all in ErWin would give both VW and independents (who have access) full visibility of a cars service history.

Anyhow, the work was done and recorded / proof which is the main thing. I’m just a bit OCD when it comes to things like that.

Maybe it’s a good time to ask if the likes of Philips update Erwin? Could always use them for my next service. Bit out of my way but could make it work.

However my do not wash request was adhered to thankfully @davyk31 .. :p

Alastair_S

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf GTI PP
Agnews Boucher Road have been really good for me over the years. One of the service guys (never got his name) went out of his way to work with a 3rd party warranty I had on the car at the time to sort a new thermostat housing. I always request not to wash and hang a sign on the mirror whenever it’s in for service and doesn’t get touched. Fuel cap got stuck closed one morning and called in without an appointment, explained the situation, fitted me in, and got sorted. The guys in parts have been helpful as well anytime I’ve called in.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I used Mallusk Agnew for my first minor service on the Golf. I have a service plan.

No complaints with the service, I did notice the interval was not correctly reset but I returned and they corrected it.

My main pain point was that I expected they would update the ErWin system to record that service but I was told they do not use it or even have access to it and only use their in house VMS system.

It surprised me as I assumed all VW retailers would use / have access to ErWin but seems that is not the case following my multiple conversations with VW UK.

Perhaps it was my misunderstanding but to me having it all in ErWin would give both VW and independents (who have access) full visibility of a cars service history.

Anyhow, the work was done and recorded / proof which is the main thing. I’m just a bit OCD when it comes to things like that.

Maybe it’s a good time to ask if the likes of Philips update Erwin? Could always use them for my next service. Bit out of my way but could make it work.

However my do not wash request was adhered to thankfully @davyk31 .. :p

I just use a book, stamps and invoices. Have absolutely no trust in any of those online service histories.