Who to send my car to for a water leak in the cab?

_James_

RMS Regular
Drives
V50/M135i
Noticed the smell of stale water returning to the 1series today, lifted the carpets a tad and the foam was wet again! I pulled the interior apart and couldn’t identify where the water was coming from earlier this year, so just dried it out but don’t have the time to do this again, who would you recommend to sort this out?

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
Feck sake. What a pain in the hoop mate.

Has the windscreen ever been replaced?

_James_

RMS Regular
OP
_James_
Drives
V50/M135i
Feck sake. What a pain in the hoop mate.

Has the windscreen ever been replaced?

Don’t think so. When I had the carpet lifted and had the power washer in and around everywhere including the screen and couldn’t see a single drop enter the cab,

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
Usual Google which I'm sure you exhausted last time, just states usuals.

Door membrane behind door card.
Door seals.
Grommets in engine bay.
Windscreen seal.
Rear pdc.
Rear vents.

Took me ages finding one in an older smart car.
After brand new door seals it turned out to be the non removable rear quarter windows ffs.
Removed and resealed and all good.

Good luck!

ChrisR

RMS Regular
Drives
MK3 Leon 1.4tsi
Prob not be of any help given it’s a BMW but my Škoda Karoq had a leak into the passenger footwell and it was caused by the foam membrane having lifted slightly in one corner allowing the water in.

Depending on the angle I parked it also meant I could have no leak if the water was running away from where the foam had lifted.

_James_

RMS Regular
OP
_James_
Drives
V50/M135i
I can safely say I’ve checked all known failure points to the best of my ability. At this point I just need someone more methodical than myself.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Don’t use the pressure washer. Just hold the garden hose over any joints/seals/possible areas of ingress.

My X5 got a new screen 9 months ago and the seal isn’t sitting right just above the rear view mirror, letting water in. Pressure washing it doesn’t seem to let water in, but rain or just the hose seems to flag it up and allowed me to identify the exact area, so I’ll be pulling the trim from around the glass and sealing it with windscreen bonder when I get a chance. Should have taken it to the guy that fitted the screen, but it was a month or 2 after I got it back before I realised. My old Passat was the same with a rear door seal; the power washer was too aggressive or something and didn’t give the water a chance to get past the seal, but when the rain was aiming towards to back of the car, the rear footwell filled up ridiculously quickly…

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Since you've sprayed all main areas on the external, what about the channels where the wiper mechanism etc sit? Had a grommet fail in there before and water coming down the inside of the bulkhead at my feet.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
If you haven't already, check the heater matrix. Low coolant could be a clue as well.

Steve750

RMS Regular
Drives
750i
I can safely say I’ve checked all known failure points to the best of my ability. At this point I just need someone more methodical than myself.
No one is going to want to take that on.
My f31 was leaking through the door cards. The plastic grommets holding the door card on was letting in water.

1719924832550.png

Does it have a sunroof?

_James_

RMS Regular
OP
_James_
Drives
V50/M135i
No sunroof it, interesting about the clips @Steve750

I know it would be a job that would cost horrendous man hours to do but I just don’t have the luxury of time to strip it, dry it and retest it.

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
Noticed the smell of stale water returning to the 1series today, lifted the carpets a tad and the foam was wet again! I pulled the interior apart and couldn’t identify where the water was coming from earlier this year, so just dried it out but don’t have the time to do this again, who would you recommend to sort this out?
Colm Hyland at Banbridge Motorworks. Exact thing happened my M3 and he sorted it out.