Why does NCB expire?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

MarkP

RMS Regular
Drives
zafira :-(
With only 1 vehicle in our household to insure my better half and I usually take it year about insuring the car with the other a named driver.
Past couple of years we just kept it in her name and my 15+ years no claims bonus seems to have expired.
But why should it expire? I haven't had any accidents.

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
We were told NCB expires after 2 years when we went down to one main car a while back.

It does, I've had loads of breaks in insurance due to having company vans. I'm nearly 30 and paying 93 quid a month on a 320d, it's a joke.

Dave..

RMS Regular
My wifes had expired by 6 months but she rang Direct Line and they reinstated it because she used them.

brendy

RMS Regular
Playing devils advocate, if you haven' driven for over 2 years then you could be perceived as a higher risk. Being on company insurance etc should be seen as plus though and count towards keeping it.
In my mind, I have bought paid and demonstrated I am a safe accident free driver, the ncb should belong to me not the insurance companies.

Last edited:

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Nightmare :worried:

In saying that, I don’t think it’s the end of the world. Based on the fact you had 15 years gathered up, you aren’t a youngster so it’ll not be too bad if you want to start your own policy again. I’m paying £340 on the X5 with 1 years NCB (its a second car) and I’m 33. There’s some companies that will give discount for names driver discount too, even if you don’t have your own NCB so just shop around.

MarkP

RMS Regular
OP
MarkP
Drives
zafira :-(
Nightmare :worried:

In saying that, I don’t think it’s the end of the world. Based on the fact you had 15 years gathered up, you aren’t a youngster so it’ll not be too bad if you want to start your own policy again. I’m paying £340 on the X5 with 1 years NCB (its a second car) and I’m 33. There’s some companies that will give discount for names driver discount too, even if you don’t have your own NCB so just shop around.

I priced a Subaru with and without my ncb on a limited 3000miles policy. £800+ and £400+ so a fair difference.
From looking online at other people having the same problem it says that Aviva count 3 years to be the cut off period. Might be worth following up.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Playing devils advocate, if you haven' driven for over 2 years then you could be perceived as a higher risk. Being on company insurance etc should be seen as plus though and count towards keeping it.
In my mind, I have bought paid and demonstrated I am a safe accident free driver, the ncb should belong to me not the insurance companies.

Or if you bought a cheap policy on something and didnt drive for 2 years.....you'd retain that "safe driver" NCB....but in reality your driving is exactly the same as the scenario you mention.

So by that reckoning, drivers who do very low mileage are higher risk because of lack of experience vs drivers who do high miles.

The fact he has probably been a named driver on his partners policy, should still mean there is a NCB entitlement and retention there.

simy

RMS Regular
It's a farce, I wasn't even aware of it until I went to get insurance in my own name again last year.
18 years in my own name.
5 years as a named driver.
1 year in my own name
= 1 years NCB

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.