Why is there no interest in sound offs???????????

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

stuartyp

RMS Regular
Was at the emma agm today and we where talking about why is there no intrest in the sound offs can i please get some veiws and opions on this as we at emma would like to get new people into this and to compete
Any views would be great

thanks stuartyp

Resintooth

RMS Regular
Drives
AP1 S2000
I'd say it's because they aren't the most interesting thing in the world. I love my music and love having a nice crisp clear sound in the car but I couldn't imagine anything worse than going to a sound off to see who's stereo is loudest.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
May as well have a 'who's got the largest wallet' contest

pablo

RMS Moderator
Thats what killed it for me, slogging your guts out on an install to be beaten by a chequebook install.

Dont know why it isnt a big deal anymore, I quite enjoyed it. Absolutely no interest now though. As long as it plays my ipod Im happy.

Rfg

RMS Regular
As above. We did the rounds 12 years ago and it is just an open wallet affair... the bigger the wallet the bigger the prize. Also they were usually rigged to get certain people to win (yes I know for a fact) Same faces same cars every show then the levels were tweaked to add a bit of variety and change the winners.

Funny I just dug out a lot of my old kit from the roof space.
Pro line driver, OEQ2, head unit, class-A amps etc etc.

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
i still lvoe my music and wud enter for the odd punt too but i guess a lot of folks put it down to the wallet syndrom... tbh i'd have to get someone to set mine up etc cos i aint got a notion... i had a go on the lesser eq's but wi the rockford one i aint a notion!!

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
tbh elaines sys is quite sweet for all that it contains and she entered it to one sound off to find out that she was the only competitor in her class which was a bit annoying...

but its not summat we;d overly take serious but nice to get some feedback on a system all the same!!

Rfg

RMS Regular
I have to admit I had gotten out of it until buying the jeep I got the upgraded sound system with subs and loads of speakers and I realised how much I missed it. nearly did a bit of an instal in the Mondeo. Just I now need my boot for prams and shopping. no longer just make enough room to fit the golf clubs and it will be fine!!LOL

Martyn

RMS Regular
The final nail in the coffin for me was the attitude of some of the judges and the complete dis-organisation of the whole sound off thing.....

chunky

RMS Regular
Drives
Lots
it's wild boring and I think probably went out of fashion with bodykits

jonnyboy

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda CRV
I remember spending all summer making my first and only install had two 15inch sony xplods and two silly big amps in the boot was good crack making but was a waste of time every one at the show had just given a load of readies to some one for big fibre glass set up tweeked to the eye balls wheres the fun in that.

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
Partiality in the judging put me off the whole scene. Brown-noses could be spotted and smelt a mile off in a sound-off

Plus hanging about a field all day, protecting my cars from damage/theft/stupidity and waiting hours for someone who only thought sound quality was good if it pleased a machine didn't help either.

PeteJ

RMS Regular
Drives
A black 4x4
because you always won staurty!!! remember sitting in your driveway with your boston civic before the boat to max power (which was in an hour) and wires everywhere.
the fun was in the building and creating it and then listening to it (i had mine built for me to be fair, as my attempt was so poor i had to burn it)
sound offs only entertained when the mad bass cars came. like your micra, and ice mans fiesta.

Rfg

RMS Regular
I think it is too subjective to be a "fair" competition. But TBH the same can be said about the car shows. there is alot of very nice cars over here with tons of cash thrown at tehm by the likes of AI, ECC etc etc. the owners probably dont know the first thing about the car only the cost so its the same argument. its liek the row about the guys RS turbo that isconcourse built by NMS going against daily drivers. not a fair competition but thats what happens when u roll with the big boys! if someone has £20k to throw at a 106 then let them its nice to see it. same as it is nice to see a £60k evo.thats the joy of competition its not meant to be fair. If you can take the cheating out of it then it might make a comeback

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
Gary normally wins a lot of them, and his isnt a chequebook job. Granted he works for Audio Advice so knows his stuff, but I think the fashion has shifted to looks rather than sounds.

Saying that, a nice SQ system is a perfect addition to any car.

zap

RMS Regular
Highest class possible. Even when I compete with the panda in spl it's built to be able to compete in the lowest class with the least amount of equipment. Only one 12" sub. And I still compete in the top pro class.

But the panda was built to show that loads of gear and loads of money arnt needed to be competitive.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.