WHY????

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Calibra

right so looking around 4 quotes for insurance last night on all of the Family cars so:

2000 Vauxhall frontera 2.2 16v petrol- £1458.00

1998 Seat Ibiza 1.4 16v petrol - £2746.00

2002? Honda Civic 1.6 16v Petrol - £3023.00

1994 Vauxhall Calibra 2.0 16v ecotec petrol - £6048.00

all in my ownname as a provisional driver (with dad as second driver) modifications not disclosed!

so decided i'd try a normal car

1995 Micra 1.0 S petrol - £1638.00

can any one tell me why i can drive a 2.2 and still have cheeper insurance than a 1.0?

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
I woud recheck the quote. If those were online elephant quotes I'd ring up and confirm it as it could be wrong.

Andy

Emmy

yep they could have cocked it up! or try another online quoting company like admiral, they use the same system and if it comes up the same its the system and not the company so your better off ringing them just to confirm. Your better off being the named driver for at least a year or so to save money, put ur dad as the main driver coz to be honest you'll just be wasting the money and if yor on your provisional the insurance is still going to be high for the first couple of years of driving.

Calibra

OP
Calibra
o i no it will go down once the test is passed but just wanted a quick look to see how much i would be forking out!

Elephant say that they will stand by the quote for 6 months so even if its wrong can they change it over the phone?

i'm really confused, i sort out my mum and dads insurance every year and its handy enough but my own is a disaster!

Emmy

hmm well after 6 months its not on their system as far as i know so thye have to do you a new quote so their prices can change. I say do a quote with your mum or dad as the main driver u as named and see what difference that makes, it made a hell of a difference for me and my new car which is group 16/17, im 21 with only 1 years no claims, 1 accident on my mums car and 3 penalty points and that was declaring mods, only cozt just over 1k to insure coz my dad has maximum no claims. If it was myself on my own name it would be 3.5k minimum fully comp thats a hell of a difference.
That was with admiral btw, i found them to be about £20 cheaper than elephant but it depends on your post code etc.

Bryan

RMS Regular
You're lucky, I'm 19 and have been driving for 2.5 years - under my own name with my mum as a named driver - the cheapest Elephant could do me for was £1763.75 for a 306 D-Turbo sedan.

No claims/convictions/accidents.

Emmy

thats coz your 19, it will go down when your 21, i know someon in the same boat as u you drives a 306dturbo cept he is payint out 2.5k for his insurance. I dont mind driving as the named driver if it means fully comp insurance because it was a rip off for me to be the main driver and i dont know if it will be much cheaper next year with 2yncb which i will get when the insurance runs out on the saxo in november.

Bryan

RMS Regular
Aye, but that Calibra dude is only on a provisional license I presume from his post!

At the moment it costs just over £900 to insure the 306 under my mum's name but she's threatening to take her no claims bonus back for my sister to use on her insurance.

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
It doesn't just come down to engine size. There are millions of other factors involved in insurance - the safety rating of the particular vehicle, its image, likelihood of theft, your personal circumstances, etc. They obviously classify a Micra as a higher risk than a Frontera jeep ................. though to me, that's still mystifying as I would always say a jeep is more dangerous.

Gaz

Emmy

hmm tis a toughy, it also depends on your postcode as well, i live out by the countryside near ards so its not as expensive as it would for example if i lived in belfast. But i do think calibra is mad to be insuring on a provisional lisence and yeh it is odd that its cheaper on a 2.2 than a 1litre which is why he should phone.
Try local companies too in the yellow pages to see what quotes they can give coz if you arent modifying the car they should be ok, its if you mod it then it gets limited as to who you can insure with.

Calibra

OP
Calibra
Gaz said:
It doesn't just come down to engine size. There are millions of other factors involved in insurance - the safety rating of the particular vehicle, its image, likelihood of theft, your personal circumstances, etc. They obviously classify a Micra as a higher risk than a Frontera jeep ................. though to me, that's still mystifying as I would always say a jeep is more dangerous.

Gaz

oi i'm a girl!
i really dont understand why i can drive aq 2.2 cheeper than a 1.0?
surely that is a bit silly?
i live in moira and all the cars are garaged?
i have no no claims ~(although dad has 27 years)~
no convictions ~ no accidents

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
As I said before the quote is probably wrong, phone elephant and as them to explain :p

Andy

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
I didn't say you weren't a girl :confounded:hock:

I dunno, it does seem a bit silly. All I'm saying is that there are more factors than the CC

Gaz

Bronk

RMS Regular
read wat gaz z..............!

It doesn't just come down to engine size. There are millions of other factors involved in insurance - the safety rating of the particular vehicle, its image, likelihood of theft, your personal circumstances, etc

Emmy

sorry chick, yeh i say you should phone them to confirm, if your dad has 27 years no claims well i'd say you'd get a good insurance quote if you go 2nd driver rather than main.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.