window tint - summons

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

djlee_dj

RMS Regular
Drives
long story short about jan time i changed car . my wee brother bought my micra ..... he phoned and said cops got him for the windows, i told him to request the 7 day thing so i can take them off properly and not leave remains etc.

he did this then returned to the police station, called the comstable and he checked over and sent him on his way

now he has a court summons for them ?

, he had the car 2 days and wasnt even changed ownership yet. so he said he just bought the car and wasnt aware of the laws 100% , but had made plans to remove them.

i drove about for about 1+1/2 years .... he had it two days and got stopped -lol

what should he expect to receive

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
did he not get some sort of reciept that they had been inspected at the station?

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Sumat doesnt sound rite there at all :confounded: Hopefully the p***k has put down ur bro appeared, but usually they'd come lookin for u before that, not always but usually....

Pretty sure its only a fine job but id fight that alllllll the way.....

djlee_dj

RMS Regular
OP
D
Drives
yea, especially as he done everything they said.

he wasnt aware of the laws becasue they are so hazy around the tinting laws, he done everything the cops asked.

cops wonder why ppl dislike them ?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
djlee_dj said:
he wasnt aware of the laws becasue they are so hazy around the tinting laws,

Ignorance is no excuse for illegal tints.

I thought it was straightforward ?? There are guidelines for what is, and isnt allowed as measured with their electronic gizmo.
Any tint supplier should be well aware of them.

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
I'd get looking for the receipt / paperwork the cop may have given your brother. As it sounds more like he may be getting done as if he hadn't called to show them they were taken off the car. What exactly does the summons say?

avo5021

RMS Regular
If he has recieved a summons all the relevant paperwork will be attached to it, ie copies of evidence, statements etc etc..

Should all be self explanatory, if you have queries you should speak to a solicitor who will explain it..

p 5ary

RMS Regular
djlee_dj said:
yea, especially as he done everything they said.

he wasnt aware of the laws becasue they are so hazy around the tinting laws, he done everything the cops asked.

cops wonder why ppl dislike them ?

its not one or the other in this case, its probably both.

basically your bro had to show they were removed however was still getting done for having them tinted in the first place

rosssei

RMS Regular
imformation from a police officer when i asked him abotu this -

apparently they cant persure two courses of action against him over one offence. They said if he brought the car to them within a week to show them taken off they would be ok (the fact they gave him a receipt thing says this was done)
THey cant then decide to bring him to court as well, as they have already settled the incident.

so, i think you should fight it all the way.

JayC

RMS Member
Drives
VTI Civic
the law on window tints has all changed. bad boy windows dun mine there and was tellin me that ur windows have 2 b letting in 65% lite and if ur car is lettin in btween 50 and 65% the cops will let u run with it bt tell u it wont pass mot, if its btween 30 and 50% its take the tints of and 30 quid fine and if its btween 0 and 30% u are sent 2 court!! jus thought id let yas all no!

avo5021

RMS Regular
JayC said:
the law on window tints has all changed. bad boy windows dun mine there and was tellin me that ur windows have 2 b letting in 65% lite and if ur car is lettin in btween 50 and 65% the cops will let u run with it bt tell u it wont pass mot, if its btween 30 and 50% its take the tints of and 30 quid fine and if its btween 0 and 30% u are sent 2 court!! jus thought id let yas all no!

I would check the source of your information because what you have been told is wrong, your front and side windows forward of the B pillar have to let through 70% of light... anything less is an offence full stop...

There is several options of being dealt with dependent on the amount of light being let through the tint.. two of them being a fixed penalty notice non endorsable or to be dealt with at court.

OLLIeCrX

RMS Regular
Drives
C63 AMG
on a similar note, some OEM tints from the factory on OEM glass are not currently legal, they are 1-2% out in some cases.

i wanted my windows tinted, but TBH i`m gonna keep the £200 or whatever it is and spend it on something else. Its just one more thing to give you grief, and its really not a necessary mod.

Its all the people who drove about with limo black tint all round a few years ago, having accidents due to lack of visibility thats ruined the whole tinting process for the rest of us IMO.

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
avo5021 said:
I would check the source of your information because what you have been told is wrong, your front and side windows forward of the B pillar have to let through 70% of light... anything less is an offence full stop...

There is several options of being dealt with dependent on the amount of light being let through the tint.. two of them being a fixed penalty notice non endorsable or to be dealt with at court.

the truth is spoken. Be wary of any tinting company that tells you its ok for even light smoke tints on the front - pretty much anything over the factory tint is going to push beyond the legalities. Not worth the hassle.

I R HillBilly

RMS Regular
Drives
Datsun
avo5021 said:

nuff said, and he'd know to be honest.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Good to have 1 of them on our side, eh Hill Billy...? :p

Im going to agree with Ollie here tho, as i dont see what all the hype about tints is... For 1, they are over-done on most cars (We dont live in a hot country, so they dont serve much of a purpose), 2, proper tints cost a fortune, and finally, if the front are tinted at all, the 5-0 usually pull ya about them, meaning more hassle, even if its to prove that they are legal...

Tints are in the same category as most aftermarket number plates (funny fonts, smaller fonts, badges on plate, borders etc etc), theres no need for them IMO..

Thats my 2 cents

tim

RMS Regular
avo5021 said:

bingo.

I had one of the police men (brocks) at the 'Mens Photoshoot' in antrim check my rear windows.

I knew that the tint on them would be illegal on the front, but basically I wanted to know HOW illegal they were, because at the time I was thinking of doing the fronts aswell and wondered if I could chance my arm with them on the front too.

So no problems and he tested the windows with the light meter and told me if these were on the front that they were so dark that if they were like 6-7% more I think he told me they could "impound" the car (cant remember the exact wording) but basically the car was not to be driven until the tints were removed and that I could be possibly be done for dangerous driving for driving with such little light being let through the glass therefore restricting my visablity.

To which i was more than surprised at because when I done the rear ones I was baffled how little difference there was inside the car than to the fronts while in the car.

anyway, he also tested my front clear windows, and they came over 20% i think, and anyone that was there can remember it was raining so maybe the water on the glass had something to do with it, but anyway, it was so close to the limit that I take it as a rule of thumb that ANY TINT other than factory on front of the B Pillar is illegal, simple as.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.