window tint. what is legal? and what do you get away with?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Phil-Lepo

RMS Regular
i have the back 3 windows of my car dark smoked. and wouldnt mind maybe making the front ones a little bit tinted. i think you can go 30 per-cent on the front but im not to sure. any ideas anyone?

Porter

RMS Regular
From what i always believed , standard glass came slightly factory tinted, meaning legally any tint woudl put it over the limit,

however from the b pillar back you can tint as dark as you like.

have a look at all the pick ups etc driving about standard on rear windows etc but none on the front.

casper-ac

RMS Regular
I think porter is right, any tint will more that likely send it over the limit.
hoever, the penalty is a fixed penalty notice (£30 fine) and have to be removed before moving th evehicle so if you want to risk it??
but bear in mind they probably wont pass MOT

Steveo@modifiedni

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi A3/Triumph
both replies on the button ^^

I had the lightest tint on my front windows and was advised to remove them - the glue left behind is a bollocks too!

BurntCarcus

RMS Regular
Drives
Scenic TomTom
I had my back ones limo and my front ones light smoke, didnt have any hassel from the cops and just took it off before mot. Think any on the front is illegal apart from standard fatory tint (7-14% iirc). Dont think id risk it now though, cops seem to be clamping down on it a bit more nowadays.

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
any film on the front that is not factory is illegal as said, I had light smoked on the front of me old car, went to scrappy and picked up old set of clear front windows, switched for mot then swifty back after :laughing:

avo5021

RMS Regular
Check out sticky thread in relation to changes to road traffic order...

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.