worse case scenario?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

clio_chris

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus TDCI
Ok so im living in Lancaster in England now. Just dropped the G/f off and was headin home with a few friends to get ready for a night on the town when all of a sudden cops come outta nowhere flashing for me to pull over. So of course i did, came up asked who the regstered keeper etc.. was told me to get outta the car etc.. etc.. when i eventualy managed to, i asked what this was all about. they ran my plate which came back saying no valid insurance on the vehicle, to which my response was.. colourful? anyways after basically arguing with them that my car was insured and it must be a mistake on my insurances end, the copper still wouldnt give and said im impounding your car tonight and ill be sending you to court if you fail to produce documents etc.. managed to get over this with a few stiff drinks. got onto my insurance company the next day, well whadda you know i have no insurance. with the move etc i closed my old northern bank account, got a new one but i forggot to notify my insurance company.. so i immediately payed to get my insurance sorted again so i can get my car released. went to the cop shop and explained the situation. they called in the officer who pulled me.. this is the best bit. My new cert wasn't valid because it wasn't on his computer? my car has been registered to my address in lancaster, but i have failed to change my liscence plate?? dont think i have to do that one mate!? Also my liscence isn't valid in the U.K as its apparently foriegn.. although it says in BIG letters UK! (although i do need it changed to my new address within a year or 2) then he continued wth my M.O.T wasn't valid as it wasn't done in the UK? (last time i checked balmoral in belfast was the UK??) and i would have to get my car re-tested.. after arguing with him for twenty minutes i left in a rather s****y mood.what makes it worse for me is the cops number is 666 and he is known by my friends and thier friends for randomly stopping young lads with modified cars to see if he can find anything wrong. While i was unknowingly in the wrong to begin with.. i wanna know if a different officer can take over this. as i dont feel this guy knows what hes doing and is trying to find more things to do me with.. possible?? and whats the worse can happen in court?

(sorry that went on a bit) :eek:

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
Personally i'd phone the station or call in and ask to speak to the duty sgt and explain it to him. To me it does look like they'll be able to prosecute for no insurance but the rest of it sounds like balls to be honest.

OLLIeCrX

RMS Regular
Drives
C63 AMG
god that guy sounds like a cock.

i reckon a possible fine and points for no insurance, but nothing else... as the mot etc is valid.

terry beat me to it....

clio_chris

RMS Regular
OP
C
Drives
Focus TDCI
Yeah i know im getting something for the no insurance which is a bit s****y, as it was a genuine mistake. not as if i couldn't have paid if i remembered. ah well, thats life. But yes ollie he is indeed!! have to go back up tomorrow anyways. so ill hopefully get speakimg to the duty sgt. also i havn't had my liscence more than a year. whats the max points i can get? is it after 6 within the first 12 months you can be disqualified?

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
I think it's 6 points within the first 2 years of driving and your back to being a learner again.

If your going to speak to the sgt don't go to see the constable dealing with you first and ask him to get the sgt as he may fill the guys head with wee white mice about you if you know what i mean (saying you had an attitude or similar). I'd call to the station with all paperwork, well dressed and try to act maturely etc and explain the situation and then they'll be able to tell you exactly where you stand.

If it all goes tits up i'd go and speak to a solicitor, find out if the insurers have a duty of care to inform you before cancelling the policy etc too as you never know (unlikely but worth a shot).

Good luck boss and keep us informed

avo5021

RMS Regular
Different advice to you matey from the others...

If you feel you have a complaint you will have to speak the http://www.ipcc.gov.uk/... It works different back home im afraid..

Sounds as though this guy needs a lesson in geography not police work.. i worked in the police in England and knew that the UK encompassed NI..

As for the insurance im afraid you are sunk with that.. usually 6 points but again it depends on the magistrate at the time etc etc..

Like its been said go speak to someone in the station, a Sergeant would be your best bit, take all your documentation and stress that your concerned as one of the officers told you it wasn't valid..

Be pleasant and courteous at all times as the last thing you want is hassled for going and speaking to someone about it...

Let me know how you get on..

clio_chris

RMS Regular
OP
C
Drives
Focus TDCI
Well i went down, produced al my documents, spoke the the duty sgt. really sound guy, got my car back (£165 worse off!) He just said its down to the courts now and that he would have a word with officer woods (666) and he explained that i dont need to re-register my car, my M.O.T is valid and i would need my liscence changed to my new address within 1 year.. thats what i thought too

At the minute i need my liscence for work. delivering parts to different branches etc.. I've been told that they do take things like that into considderation?? anyone know of anything like that?

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
yes in cases like that the magistrate may allow you to retain your license but seriously increase the fine etc..

you NEED a solicitor if your job depends on having your license. now go get one now and no more posting on the internet about it.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.