WRC 2014 : All Chat Here

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Sam.

RMS Regular
BxWO3KiIYAAuX2O.jpg:large

When is day 2 highlights on?
Watched day 1 today on motors at 1pm.
Day 2 highlights are on at 12:55pm tomorrow on Motors TV.

Reno_LV

RMS Photographer
Drives
Honda S2000
That man can do rally photos well. Much better than McKlein - they are shaite now completly!

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Jari-matti fastest on the 1st stage of day 2.

After SS9
Latvala
Ogier +2.6
Meeke +14.2
Mikkelsen +14.3
Hirvonen +31.5
Paddon +1:19.6
Ostberg +1:22.8
Kubica +2:05.0
Evans +2:37.0

Sam.

RMS Regular
Live coverage of SS10 on BTSport and WRC+ now with Jon Desborough.

Alister McRae doing commentary too.

Last edited:

Sam.

RMS Regular
Meeke made a massive cut on the last corner of SS10, but not enough to get him ahead of Mikkelsen.

meekess10.jpg

After SS10
Latvala
Ogier +4.1
Mikkelsen +16.1
Meeke +16.9
Hirvonen +36.4
Paddon +1:25.7
Ostberg +1:29.4
Kubica +2:16.4
Evans +2:48.2

Cess

RMS Staff
OP
Cess
BxZxFkaIQAA1TkG.jpg

Watched a re-run of SS10. More Alaistair McRae please! Great co-commentator.

Last edited:

Cess

RMS Staff
OP
Cess
FIA assholes. Meeke hit with 1 min 1 second penalty for his big cut.

BxaMqh0CAAEhNFy.jpg:large

Reno_LV

RMS Photographer
Drives
Honda S2000
VW surely got slapped with that as well a while ago :worried: P.s. pick up your phone!

Cess

RMS Staff
OP
Cess
No, Mikklesen got a fine. Meeke gets a time penalty. No consistency in FIA rules. But sure, as long as the rules help VW (y)

New top 5 looks like this.

1. Ogier
2. Latvala +11.8
3. Mikkelsen +25.3
4. Hirovonen +1 27.2
5. Meeke +1.27.8
6. Ostberg +2.08.2

Reno_LV

RMS Photographer
Drives
Honda S2000
Different rally, different rules by the governing body and stewards. No court ever gives the same time served in jail for the same crime. Who knows...both drivers got slapped, both suffer - just in different ways. Nobody wanted these outcomes sadly, but at least he hasn't crashed and can collect vital points. I doubt the conspiracy is present here.

Last edited:

Sam.

RMS Regular
A silly mistake. Nagle did say "big cut", and watching the footage it definitely is.

Cess

RMS Staff
OP
Cess
Different rally, different rules by the governing body and stewarts. No court ever gives the same time served in jail for the same crime. Who knows...both drivers got slapped, both suffer - just in different ways. Nobody wanted these outcomes sadly, but at least he hasn't crashed and can collect vital points. I doubt the conspiracy is present here.

Rules apply to all rallies, regardless of location. The FIA changed the rules. Lack of consistency.

A fine doesn't affect the result of a rally. A time penalty does.

Reno_LV

RMS Photographer
Drives
Honda S2000
I'd say @Cess it is the Rally Australia stewards decision not FIA as such, VW don't need those points so desperate to bribe somebody to give penalties I think! They can still appeal!

Cess

RMS Staff
OP
Cess
Who said VW bribed the stewards?

The point is, 3 rounds earlier Mikkelsen makes a bigger cut, contravening the FIA regulations and gets a 5000 euro fine. Meeke apparently breaks the same FIA rules and its now a time penalty and he must drop 1 place. So the rules have changed mid-season and there is no consistency.

Would Meeke have cut that corner in that fashion if he knew it would have cost him his place and a chance at a podium? No.

Reno_LV

RMS Photographer
Drives
Honda S2000
Nobody is defending them so calm down , but your statement "But sure, as long as the rules help VW (y)" nearly means FIA did this on purpose to help VW. Nobody ever gets the same penalties in motorsport, in F1 sometimes they get grid penalty of 10 places, sometimes drive through. E Formula this morning witnessed a silly crash on last lap as well and again I am sure many fans are furious. It is just a thing of motorsport sadly - each accident may end up with different fines/penalties depending on stewards decisions/mood. Take the mistake on the chin I'd say, avoid cutting corners in the future, and bring back safe points. Better this than a crash he could have had there.

Cess

RMS Staff
OP
Cess
A central tenet of all sport is that rules are applied equally to ensure fair play. I don't know anything about the rules of Formula E of Formula One, so I cannot comment on how those rules are applied. In addition, I'm not sure what the relevance of the references are, considering they are entirely different disciplines.

Massive cuts were always part and parcel of rallying. Half the field in these videos below would have got fines or time penalties or whatever punishment was decided. For the record, I didn't agree with Mikkelsen's fine in Poland either.

Reno_LV

RMS Photographer
Drives
Honda S2000
These were different times, safety wasn't the main concern there, back in those days rally was much different - H&S has now changed all the rallying aspect. Fixing the car and driving in whatever condition was OK then, now a small scratch on rollcage and that's it. Rules change with time and safety is now main concern for organizers. In this rally that is what contributed a bit more to the penalty I think. Nobody wanted him to get it, but I imagine the scandal VW would have put up after he got penalised for that. No point in arguing with you anyways, move on - 1 more day and anything can change.

Sam.

RMS Regular
Mikkelsen was also threatened with exclusion from future events if he done it again in 2014.

The Stewards having been made aware of a situation occurring during the running of SS2 (Kruklanki 1) concerning Competitor No 9 Volkswagen Motorsport II, driver Andreas Mikkelsen and co-driver Ola Floene, summoned the crew and team representative to appear before them.

The crew were accompanied by Jost Capito, Volkswagen Motorsport Director, and Sven Smeets, Team Manager.

The Stewards stated that the crew deliberately departed the road of the special stage and crossed an adjacent field in an attempt to reduce the stage time.

The Stewards showed a video of the occasion to the crew and the team representatives. The crew acknowledged that this occurred and that they had planned this action. They also stated that they accepted it was inappropriate behaviour.

The Stewards after deliberation…

DECIDE

1 To apply a penalty of exclusion from the rally concerned should this behaviour be repeated during the remainder of the 2014 WRC.

2. To apply an immediate fine of 5000 Euros.

The Stewards emphasised the severity of this behaviour and the potential risks it introduced.

The Competitor is reminded of its right to appeal.

Morrie Chandler
(Chairman Stewards)
Timo Rautiainen
Tomasz Bartos

Sam.

RMS Regular
Day 3 running order:

Atkinson
Kubica
Evans
Neuville
Paddon
Østberg
Hirvonen
Mikklesen
Meeke
Latvala
Ogier
Al Rajhi
Al Attiyah
Ketomaa
Protasov
Bertelli
Tanak etc

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.