write-off's back on the road???

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

buff

RMS Regular
Drives
Jimny
is it possible to put an insurance written off car back on the road legally?

i know it can depend on why the car was written off, safety un-economical repair etc etc.

the car was written off due to being an un-economical repair. basically front panels and steering rack, chassis is fine. cost of repairs through insurance approved place would be well over 2K on a car worth less than half of that, although i could fix for close to £300 i reckon.

was taking to guy who has enquired about this with various insurance companies that say it cant be done. yet you see countless damaged repairables that have been rolled or heavily crashed.

anyone here ever put a write off back on the road?? did you have any problems doing it?

cheers

TheLarneMan

RMS Regular
Drives
205GTI GolfR
It depends what category of a write-off the car was. I can't remember what the different categories are.

If you buy the written-off car and fix it up, you must declare the car as previously written off to your insurance company. Some companys will not insure write-offs.

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
205Mi16 said:
It depends what category of a write-off the car was. I can't remember what the different categories are.

If you buy the written-off car and fix it up, you must declare the car as previously written off to your insurance company. Some companys will not insure write-offs.
Cat D is quite a bad one.... It woiuld mean quite a bad front hit or rear.....

I know a guy who bought a front wrecked Cat D and got it fixed, is completely fine now but have to say it was a bit of a lite cat D as steering etc wasnt much beyond repair....

N as said must say to ins company.....

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Cat D is not the worst by any means. Don't even consider Cat A or B, Cat C is also very severe damage but Cat D's are regularly repaired and driven again. Cat D means that it wasn't economical to repair - this could be a dented wing on a Ferrari, or a complete roll in a new Civic - the insurance firm decreed that it was financially unfeasible to repair it. Just check the Cat D cars out for yourself and assess it that way. I wouldn't touch anything with heavy engine or suspension damage, but panel damage or stolen/recovered wouldn't bother me too much.

Gaz

scubbay

RMS Regular
Drives
10 second Imprez
always check if the id is with the car. if no log book it will have to be inspected before it can be put back on the road. if there are no vin plates on the car it is a breaker and if you repair it you may not be able to get it back on the road at all and if so will be Q plated meaning questional identity and worth nothing if you want to re-sell. cat d is probably the only one worth repairing at all.

pablo

RMS Moderator
just to throw a spanner in the works a cat c can be a car that was stolen, paid out on, then recovered. with absolutely nothing wrong with it.

total loss to the ins company same as badly wrecked but not a spick of damage.

PeteM

RMS Regular
Drives
Passat CC
Plenty of write offs runnin about, Mate of mine mangled his motor into a wall but managed to get it on the back of a truck before any noticed

the car is now back on the road with insurance company knowin nout.

buff

RMS Regular
OP
buff
Drives
Jimny
cheers for the info i see the problem now.

bloke was coming to buy my damaged fiesta, but he said he couldnt put it on the road.

turns out the companies he tried wouldnt cover a previously written off car. :worried:

PhilG

RMS Regular
right i have bought 2 damaged clio's so far and had them repaired.

Cat A is the worst condition
Cat B is still very very bad
Cat C is repairable but costly
Cat D is repairable

The first clio i bought was Cat D, it only had to be repaired, the second clio i bought was Cat C, it had to be repaired, then (afaik), it had to be checked over by an accessor to check it it is roadworthly.

My Cat C silver clio is 2001, cost me £2400 to buy, and £600 to repair.

Id advise against buying anything with roof damage.

Comber Spud

as far as i know u can put a car back on the road as long as you get a vic check from the mot people i just know that cuz my boyfriend had that problem with a car he bought

mk1gje

you can put a written off car back on the road as long as you get an engineers report to say what work was carried out then the D.V.L.N.I have to inspect the car to make sure it isn't a cut and shut job, they check chasis numbers etc. then you have to pay to get it officially put back on the road(so if someone does a check it isn't listed as written off) and finally mot and tax it.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.