X5 30D M Sport

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
So with the impending 4 months of Arctic like snow my mother in law advised we are due, Mrs Lyons instructed that we need a jeep. Despite having had this debate just 5 months previously before the decision was made to get the A7. Initially I was going to get an older jeep and keep the A7, but I’m not ready for the hassle of having 3 cars again yet. So because I was in this position so recently, an E70 X5 was top of the list as i nearly bought one before the A7 and knew what was what with them. I’d flirted with the idea of a Disco 4, RR or Amarok, but couldn’t be assed with researching something else.

The only criteria I was set with was that it had to be a seven seater model. I’d igorned this last time round so felt I should be an obliging husband and I knew the cubs loved the idea of seats in the boot too. I was ideally after an SE with Dynamic pack, but there were very few with the spec I wanted. I’d seen this M Sport a couple of weeks ago, but given it was in Ipswich and also a few £k less than similar models I just dismissed it as I assumed it was too good to be true.

Fast forward a couple of weeks and I have a price agreed for the A7 from Hursts and everything has escalated a bit quickly. I’d been refreshing Autotrader every 5 seconds and there just wasn’t anything with ticked the 7 seat, rear camera and dynamic pack boxes. I started communicating with the Ipswich dealer and on paper it got even better. So despite the best efforts of @suckindiesel to discourage me, I booked a flight on Wednesday night to fly over on Thursday morning after agreeing a price earlier that day. I was honestly convinced something would be amiss, but thought I’d take punt with the flight anyway.

When I arrived I was handed a massive file of paperwork. Only 1 previous owner and he’d taken it to BM for everything, even wipers and tyres. After they’d cleaned it I apprehensively went outside for a look fearing the worst and that it would be rough or painted, but the thing was near perfect. All original paint and just a couple of small dents on 1 door. So after some hiccups transferring the £ (£10k daily limit in M&S bank), I was now the owner of grey X5 number 2.

Sadly due to a bit of fannying about on their part I wasn’t going to make the Holyhead boat, so rather than staying overnight I set off on the 8 hour drive to Cairnryan. Such a comfortable thing to drive, when I got out it felt like I’d only been in it for 30mins. It’s a bit more agricultural on country roads and not as refined as the A7 and the run flats are a bit crashy, but all in all it’s fantastic.

So, it’s a 2012 with 68k. A bit more than I was after, but 1 owner and full BM history. spec includes media pack with pro Nav, comfort seats, rear and top view cameras, side view cameras, 7 seats, loudspeaker sound system, heated seats, and a few things like Internet and Mobile apps that I have no idea how to work. Even got some wood trim in there too! The only thing it doesn’t have is 20” wheels, but they will be changed in the new year. Only other plans are to fit a Towbar and get some winter tyres.

TL : DR, photos;

EBAF3401-9F1E-42A7-BD31-DA75A327E15B.jpeg
3D600265-2961-41F9-A7A5-FE7F3B3CAF26.jpeg
D48CF87E-20D0-4F4C-B353-E84D0C65F927.jpeg
9A48D99F-51E9-4E40-901C-E717C0EA84FD.jpeg
850B9C33-0A82-44BB-ABCA-BDEF515E63AC.jpeg
F6B87AD6-F31A-4EB3-9649-4CDB289BA3B3.jpeg
7AB4ACC7-5BE9-4297-A9C2-882D82619CC5.jpeg
758B286C-AEC6-4DAC-BDEE-385E2611C18F.jpeg
FE252E41-B140-4133-9B65-4D59B8DCF1F7.jpeg

Last edited:

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Good man Lyons, hope the family have many happy journeys in it

MarkP

RMS Regular
Drives
zafira :-(
Looks perfect as it sits. What wheels were you thinking?
Thought she was an ex cop car for a moment with the black 'holes' in the front bumper :yum

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE
Lovely (y)
I’d leave the wheels and stick some winters on them. Though it’s handy having 2 sets to swap over yourself.
Really not a “Jeep” fan but I can see the attraction

big cyril

RMS Regular
Excellent. Re snow, ours was fine with winter tyres on 18’s last winter, the 18s are a bit narrower which prob helps too.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Chrome and old man wood trim, perfect Lyons spec!

Superb big wagons.

Probably the only person that prefers wood trim to aluminium and also an SE to an M Sport!

Lovely looking x5 but you bought the wrong “jeep” for the arctic conditions :joy:

It’s really for ground clearance, I realise it’s no Defender!

Lovely job.
Totally off topic but do you know the name model of your brick? Looks lovely against the stone. Just thinking about my extension...

Afraid not, but they came from Wilson’s Yard.

Looks perfect as it sits. What wheels were you thinking?
Thought she was an ex cop car for a moment with the black 'holes' in the front bumper :yum

Ideally style 336;

upload_2018-11-3_18-55-8.jpeg

Or maybe style 468;

upload_2018-11-3_18-55-59.jpeg

Never seen them on an E70 though.

Lovely (y)
I’d leave the wheels and stick some winters on them. Though it’s handy having 2 sets to swap over yourself.
Really not a “Jeep” fan but I can see the attraction

I just hate the sight of these wheels. Also the rears are 285, so they aren’t an ideal width for winters. The specific winter wheels aren’t staggered so are 255 all round. Also more cost effective buying a full set of wheels and tyres second hand.

How very dare you! :p I was just ensuring you weren’t caught out!

Lovely wagon, your best effort to date in my book!

Chuffed with it, great driving bus. Even did a spot of off roading across the fields today.

Brennan

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
Lovely looking jeep, but a mate’s dad has one and I’ve seen it being absolutely useless in the snow :joy:

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Chrome and old man wood trim, perfect Lyons spec!

Superb big wagons.
To be fair anything is useless in snow without winter tyres !

There’s a man on here drove around a stuck RR in a V8 M3 one winter in snow

It was only when I paid attention in ski resorts did I understand just how amazing proper winter tyres are. Seeing a 911 bombing around Val Thorens like it was a dry summer day made it clear!

Also learned a valuable lesson in my RS4 two weeks after I got it, I got up a hill OK in the snow, but on the way back down I almost ended up in a ditch. ESP off and flat out in reverse was the only thing that saved me. Orra Mountain near Ballycastle was the spot.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Honestly Ricky, the best thing about getting a new car is the fact that I can delete Autotrader etc and not look at them again. I hate it!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.