XC90 d5 automatic gearbox - No drive when warm

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
Fearing the worst here....
Volvo XC90 2004 200k+ miles. Auto gearbox.

Wife was left stranded when the car just wouldn't drive. This was after a 40+ mile motorway journey. Just sits and revs like a manual with a worn clutch.

However once cooled down it'll drive again.

Any thoughts?
Worthwhile giving it a quick gearbox oil change?
Oil levels look fine.

Edit; to add, no fault codes for the gearbox stored.

Thanks,
Anton

Last edited:

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
Could to be the gearbox oil. It isn’t low by any chance. Bound to be worth trying a flush first.

If new oil doesn’t fix it might be solenoid valve body or worn clutches or possibly software issue.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Not in my time

It's already above max on the dipstick when cold?
Will drop the oil and refill at the weekend.
I've had the oil sitting for it for well over a year!

Should be dipping it when it’s hot and engine running, no?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
It has both hot and cold markers but I will give it a check as you suggest to see if it makes a difference 👍

Overfilling can be as bad as not having enough if it is as you say, beyond the max. It can whip up the oil into a foam and cause it to slip.

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
Not in my time

It's already above max on the dipstick when cold?
Will drop the oil and refill at the weekend.
I've had the oil sitting for it for well over a year!
From memory holds 8/9 litres and you can only drain and fill about 5 so meant to do a couple of times. Volvo say sealed unit but forums etc will say to do after 100k.
Fingers crossed it’s ok 👍

Jamie-g

RMS Regular
I remember there’s a certain way to fill those geartronic boxes. I think you can loose either first or second just emptying it. I know a couple of folk that had that trouble.

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
Dip it with the engine running before you do anything else it could still be low.

Will do Gary 👍
I remember there’s a certain way to fill those geartronic boxes. I think you can loose either first or second just emptying it. I know a couple of folk that had that trouble.

From a bit of reading the procedure is;
Drop oil
Measure what came out (should be approx 3litres)
Put back in the same volume of fresh
Do that a few times to get the majority renewed

This all assumes that the level was correct to begin with 😬

Jamie-g

RMS Regular
Aye that’s what the problem was, they just emptied them and boom No 1st. Hopefully it’ll be grand with a change.

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
Assuming it has a gearbox oil coller I know the Land Rovers can have crazy issues if the torque converter over heats, check the coolant level and for any leaks maybe.

Have you plugged it in to see if any codes?

U get an anti slip additive that gets gd reports as a potential last resort if an oil change has no effect, although no personal experience.

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
Assuming it has a gearbox oil coller I know the Land Rovers can have crazy issues if the torque converter over heats, check the coolant level and for any leaks maybe.

Have you plugged it in to see if any codes?

U get an anti slip additive that gets gd reports as a potential last resort if an oil change has no effect, although no personal experience.

No codes at all in relation to the gearbox.
Coolant level fine with no leaks.
Coolant level sensor is playing up showing low coolant but it is visibly fine when I check the expansion tank.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
I'd just do the 1 sump dump for now, it should have a dipstick so make sure the level is right when you top up, take it for a good 15 / 20 min drive and it should be warm enough to dip it using the hot measure. The 100k thing is nonsense, they need a change every 40k or a flush every 60k. Flusing at this point may cause more hassle, so sump dump, do a couple of k's and another sump dump. You'll need around 3lts of JWS3309 each time. You can get 5lts for a reasonable price on ebay.

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
I'd just do the 1 sump dump for now, it should have a dipstick so make sure the level is right when you top up, take it for a good 15 / 20 min drive and it should be warm enough to dip it using the hot measure. The 100k thing is nonsense, they need a change every 40k or a flush every 60k. Flusing at this point may cause more hassle, so sump dump, do a couple of k's and another sump dump. You'll need around 3lts of JWS3309 each time. You can get 5lts for a reasonable price on ebay.

Already have 10litres of the jws3309 so all ready to go on that front.
Hopefully get at it this evening or this weekend at worst.
Worth a try at least. I love the big heap as the kids call it but it just wouldn't be worthwhile delving any deeper than the oil change.

Edit; you are optimistic that it will drive for 10-15mins lol

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Already have 10litres of the jws3309 so all ready to go on that front.
Hopefully get at it this evening or this weekend at worst.
Worth a try at least. I love the big heap as the kids call it but it just wouldn't be worthwhile delving any deeper than the oil change.

Edit; you are optimistic that it will drive for 10-15mins lol
It is amazing how much these boxes rely on good oil! Be sure to let us know the outcome, the D5 / AW box isn't known for giving much bother and the fact there is no codes is a bonus!

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
Did a level check this evening.
Looks to be slightly high when warm and when cold.
Il drop the oil refill it to the correct level and see how it goes.

Whilst letting it get up to temp I drove it about the yard. All good.
Once up to temp it was back to zero drive.
Turn the car off and on and it would drive again for a bit.

Edit; oil was brown on the dipstick and a kitchen towel, not red like it should be.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Did a level check this evening.
Looks to be slightly high when warm and when cold.
Il drop the oil refill it to the correct level and see how it goes.

Whilst letting it get up to temp I drove it about the yard. All good.
Once up to temp it was back to zero drive.
Turn the car off and on and it would drive again for a bit.

Edit; oil was brown on the dipstick and a kitchen towel, not red like it should be.
Switch off and on is resetting something, hopefully not electronical, still fingers crossed for oil.

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
Fair to say the oil wasn't in great nick....
IMG_20240426_134306.jpg

2.85litres came out.
2litres currently back in and showing within the cold markers.
It's now idling to warm it up, see i can get a drive in it and get a hot reading on the dipstick

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
No joy I am afraid lads.
Took it a run up and down my road a few times to get the box up to temp for a final check and no drive again when the box got to 70degrees.

It actually drove well and shifted very smoothly while it did drive.

Any thoughts on what is happening?