Yet another insurance scam ?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Seen that earlier Stevie, unbelievable... Only in the UK could that happen

saxo_man

RMS Regular
Madness. How this even gets considered is just insane. Harsher penalties are required to put off uninsured drivers / riders in the first place.

Dub_cub 89

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo 6 / cbr400rr
Any motor insurance policy I've ever had has clearly stated exactly who the policy covers, usually under the heading "the insured" or "persons entitled to use this vehicle" or something to that effect, I'm genuinely shocked that an insurance company couldn't manage to wriggle out of that one, having seen some of the other moves they've made over the years, total madness, As for the fella who died, I hope he suffered :mad:

Tony@Greenlight

RMS Trader
Drives
Mini Cooper S Wk
That is insane.

I know the vehicle will show as Insured by you upon the motor Insurers Database if the policy isn't cancelled, but where you can prove that you've sold and you're no longer the responsible owner for the vehicle it's incredible that a judge would assess this and decide this is reasonable!

How the solicitors handling cases like this reconcile their morals in the way they look for loopholes that are clearly immoral is unbelievable, those involved need naming and shaming. All they see is pound signs at times, with no sense of regard and a broken moral compass :mad::mad:

To avoid this situation as a precaution, you could either instruct your Insurer to cancel the policy immediately after you sell the vehicle (which isnt always practical if there's a delay between selling your vehicle and buying another), or request to see sight of their Insurance document (and take a copy or a photo with a smartphone) before they drive off with the car/bike/van they've just purchased from you.

Speaking separately, with regard to where a vehicle that you still own is stolen. In this situation, whilst you're not in charge of the vehicle you are the registered owner of the vehicle and would be responsible for any damage caused to third parties by the vehicle.

Cover for damage caused to other parties by thieves when your vehicle is stolen and in their charge is provided under the Third Party liability part of your motor Insurance policy, with cover for damage to your own vehicle being covered under the Theft section of your policy.

In the event the thieves are apprehended, your Insurer would have right of recovery and can take legal action to recover their outlay from the thieves. But in the event they are 'at her majesty's pleasure', or desperate enough to steal a car it's likely to be a £5/week repayment plan at best.

There is a third situation for Uninsured drivers, which is another 'blood boiler' for Insurers and the honest motorist alike. But i'll have to explain this tomorrow as i'm heading for a meeting in London now.

Kind regards

Tony

Sgt_Major

RMS Regular
Drives
E81 123d
I'm presuming that there may now be compensation claims from the dead mans family??? Which would also hit the poor ex owner?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
OP
stevieturbo
Drives
Old Ford
I'm presuming that there may now be compensation claims from the dead mans family??? Which would also hit the poor ex owner?

That's basically what the article is saying. They will pursue him through the courts and steal is assets if necessary to recoup costs.

I'll say it again...Insurance is one of the biggest criminal scams going, made worse by the government forcing it upon us via a bunch of corrupt laws and insurance companies.
They're a bunch of criminals.

The entire system is insane

Sgt_Major

RMS Regular
Drives
E81 123d
That's basically what the article is saying. They will pursue him through the courts and steal is assets if necessary to recoup costs.

I'll say it again...Insurance is one of the biggest criminal scams going, made worse by the government forcing it upon us via a bunch of corrupt laws and insurance companies.
They're a bunch of criminals.

The entire system is insane

I mean more the death of the rider. Damages to third party I can see (not agree with btw) but now that the family know there is a financial backer, they'll be looking their lb of flesh too.

Dub_cub 89

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo 6 / cbr400rr
Do insurance policies not usually specify that the cover only applies while the insured driver holds a valid licence to operate the vehicle?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
OP
stevieturbo
Drives
Old Ford
Do insurance policies not usually specify that the cover only applies while the insured driver holds a valid licence to operate the vehicle?

It will state the policyholder needs to have a valid license.

But the issue here is that YOUR insurance seems to cover absolutely anyone else who decides to crash your vehicle under any circumstances.

FFS, if you crashed, your own insurance would treat you like a criminal when trying to get a payout from them !!!

Insurance companies are the new terrorists ! lol

As for other claims, that's what the MIB is for, the completely innocent party, ie the previous owner and policy holder should in no way be liable.
Hopefully it will go to court and the judge wont be a dirty scumbag and resolve the problem. But it still wont fix the stress and hassle the ex bike owner will be going through. He should be able to claim compensation for that.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.