Young Driver, First time insurance

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

rugrat

RMS Photographer
Drives
Leon FR 2.0TDi
My eldest is 17 and she is keen to be on the road. I named her on my insurance for a week or two but neither me nor my leon can cope with learner driving :scream:

We are looking at a few Clios, around the year 2003/4. I have spent the past few hours getting quotes in her own name fully comp. - the range of prices stuns me. Here are a few examples -

Asda £4100
Hughes £1890
Endsleigh £1670
Quinns £1120

I have no experience with any of these companies, and as tempting as Quinns price is I am worried it might not be that good should she need to actually use the insurance. Anyone have any experience with any of these companies?

Richy

RMS Regular
Drives
E55
I've used Quinn for all but one of my 7 years driving, luckily never had any accidents in my car, but they are generally helpful any time I've needed to phone them.

My lady was insured with AXA through Post Office (Cheapest on price comparison) We had a bump on the Boucher Road and to say that the Post Office//AxA were totally useless in every conceivable way would be an understatement. So IMO avoid any company who are selling AXA insurance!

The missus is now insured with this lot... Cheap car insurance for women in Ireland

Very cheap, and based locally. No need to use them yet thankfully!

pablo

RMS Moderator
Quinns are keen to settle it seems even if its not your fault. so your daughter may end up losing ncb for nothing. But that that price its got to be worth a punt! Just teach her not to crash :laughing:

rugrat

RMS Photographer
OP
rugrat
Drives
Leon FR 2.0TDi
The insurance crowd for women will only quote for over 21s - they are quite cheap tho as I did a quote for myself. It is the crashing bit and how Quinns will deal with it that worries me. I am teaching her not to crash by letting her pay for her own insurance. Will that work!? :scream:

Richy

RMS Regular
Drives
E55
And me :laughing:

Paid £186 a month for my first year insurance.

I was earning £360 a month at the time lol :worried:

Souleh

RMS Regular
Drives
Astra coupe / ZX
Same here. Knowing you dont have the $$ to fix the car if you crash it was always a great incentive :grinning:

Tell her if she doesnt like the quotes she's getting to try flicking the sex to male and see what results she gets... she should find herself in a much better position than the other 50% of the population.

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
Worked for me too...

Ive always been with Endsleigh, they sorted out my only claim very quick. The person who hit my car was with them too though. They were great to deal with, and done all they could to help me. Try phoning their office on Great Victoria Street too, I always get a better quote from them direct than from their call centre in England.

Unfortunately its going to cost a fortune for the first few years, but a girls insurance will reduce in price far quicker than a males will.

rugrat

RMS Photographer
OP
rugrat
Drives
Leon FR 2.0TDi
Same here. Knowing you dont have the $$ to fix the car if you crash it was always a great incentive :grinning:

Tell her if she doesnt like the quotes she's getting to try flicking the sex to male and see what results she gets... she should find herself in a much better position than the other 50% of the population.

I tried that just out of interest - for same car details Quinn would charge £2350 :scream: My son is 11, may start saving now for when he wants to drive :confounded:

Ant

RMS Regular
Quinns £1120

seems good to me for someone that young :/

@27 I paid 1100 on a 1.6 vitara for my first time insurance

edit> good as far as quotes go i mean, not that i think we should be paying £1k+

Con

RMS Regular
Drives
JDM Honda Del So
Ive used Quinn's since the 17th year when i started. Had a minor bump which was a girls fault settled 75/25 in my favour. £30 bumper was all i needed, after giving them a huge quote of £750 to fix from Wrights. which in turn paid for a new engine for me by the time it was settled. Quinns couldnt have been more helpful. £10 extra a month just. Recommend them

avo5021

RMS Regular
Rugrat - if she is 17 i'm presuming you are a mature driver yourself..?

Have you tried getting quotes with her as the policyholder and you as a named driver on the policy, sometimes insurance quote cheaper if you name someone older with a good driving history on the policy..

Worth a try..!!

rugrat

RMS Photographer
OP
rugrat
Drives
Leon FR 2.0TDi
seems good to me for someone that young :/

@27 I paid 1100 on a 1.6 vitara for my first time insurance

edit> good as far as quotes go i mean, not that i think we should be paying £1k+

Based on the other prices I have been quoted, it seems too good...? :confounded:

rugrat

RMS Photographer
OP
rugrat
Drives
Leon FR 2.0TDi
Rugrat - if she is 17 i'm presuming you are a mature driver yourself..?

Have you tried getting quotes with her as the policyholder and you as a named driver on the policy, sometimes insurance quote cheaper if you name someone older with a good driving history on the policy..

Worth a try..!!

I tried that with my name and her dad's name - it didn't make much difference - with some companies (eg Quinns!) it actually made it more expensive!

jayme

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini/ A7
be very carefull with quins they quted 800 to put me on my mums megane but when my dad did a bit of research he found out that once you past the test the insurance nearly doubled

rugrat

RMS Photographer
OP
rugrat
Drives
Leon FR 2.0TDi
be very carefull with quins they quted 800 to put me on my mums megane but when my dad did a bit of research he found out that once you past the test the insurance nearly doubled

I thought that happened with all companies - the risk increases once you pass your test and are 'unsupervised'...?

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
At 18 my first car was a 1 litre Vw lupo and the cheapest I got was £2,150

Smoothie

RMS Regular
Drives
F54 Clubman
I've been insured with quinn from the start, had pretty serious head on crash there at the start of the year!

two cars involved were rote off, quinn payed out within 14days of the accident, found the other driver at fault so they refunded me my access straight away....also had their courtesy car for about a month lol while i looked for another car

renewed insurance there, didn't go up a sausage....apart from the injuries it was pretty much hassle free

_Stu_

RMS Regular
Try Crumlin Insurance Partnership, quite a small company but managed to do a fantastic deal on my insurance. I am 20 with 3yrs NCB and pay £940 fully comp with 3rd party extension on a 1.9 TDi Golf. They were a good £300 cheaper than anywhere else.

Ev206

RMS Regular
I thought that happened with all companies - the risk increases once you pass your test and are 'unsupervised'...?

Most companies do charge extra, some don't. Try Abbey insurance 02893325165 we have good rates with AXA at the minute who don't charge anything from going from a learner to full license.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.