Young Driver's Insurance

Cookies

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
Hi all

My son will be 17 soon, and I've picked him up a wee Ford Fiesta 1.25 Zetec.

I've ran numerous quotes on comparison sites, with varying conditions and prices. So I just wanted to ask, do any of you have any recommendations for learner insurance, or young driver insurance.

Cheers.

Niall

McFall1984

RMS Regular
Drives
To many cars
Young fella who I worked with had cheaper Learner insurance than his 1st year
Think it was 1200 as a learner, an 2400 when he passed his test. In a wee petrol fiesta

Mackers91

RMS Regular
Young fella who I worked with had cheaper Learner insurance than his 1st year
Think it was 1200 as a learner, an 2400 when he passed his test. In a wee petrol fiesta

I was the same £1000 for my learners then when I passed they wanted another 1005. Reason being I wouldn't have a experienced driver sitting next to me anymore. This was 10 years ago.

Young lad who works on are helpdesk recently passed and was getting quotes 3k plus he's ended up just going back to riding his wee 125.

impact

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
Wife just sorted daughters out today, 17, £1700 with a box, 8k miles, Fiat 500, high excess but took out separate excess insurance for £50. Will check who it was with.

Cookies

RMS Regular
OP
Cookies
Drives
BMW
Wife just sorted daughters out today, 17, £1700 with a box, 8k miles, Fiat 500, high excess but took out separate excess insurance for £50. Will check who it was with.
That'd be great 👍
Cheers.

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Careful with boxes, someone on here had issues with them before. Also came across people before with issues (hitting pothole and setting it off/negative scoring as it thinks car crashed. Then some also have time curfews for driving) plus GB doesn't have R plate system so could end up penalised through no fault for going too slow.

big cyril

RMS Regular
Daughter passed the test a couple of months ago (17) we did the big mainland comparison sites plus compare ni. Cheapest was getsetgo via compare ni, it’s internet only, no phone line, black box, her car in her own name including commuting to school and her part time job. Total jobsworth to deal with but was something like £500 cheaper than the next best. One of the conditions is that the policy is cancelled if the black box detects a three figure speed lol.

Johnny_E

RMS Regular
Drives
C220
Churchill Drivesure has been a complete pain in the hole for my lad. Drive anything past dusk and it penalises the scoring. It scores your comparative speed yet I'm sure there's barely a Drivesure equipped car in the area for some drives. Start the car to just keep warm...? 1/100 score. Even in the driveway! Move the car 10m in a layby.... 4/100. Their algorithms are a load of crap.

As an L driver , Sterling insurance was cheapest for us..

davyk31

RMS Regular
Admiral for my daughter after she passed the test and no black box.

Before that it was learner driver insurance which was only about £200. The car also needs to be insured by mum or dad as the learner policy only covers the child.

Turks

RMS Regular
Drives
Passat/Impreza
My sister insured my niece who is 17 there about a month ago on her own name. Ab+c ni were the cheapest by a brave bit.

brendy

RMS Regular
For learner with insurance, insure the car yourself and insure your son through marmalade. Once Hollie passed hers in April, the RAC was the cheapest option inc black box but it's been no problems bar difficulty accessing the actual data it produces but the RAC haven't contacted us at all about habits though she wouldn't be a fast driver.

StevenMc29

RMS Regular
Try Direct Line, not on the comparison sites. Were surprisingly good with me after a driving conviction when I was younger and been with them since. Price is decent and service is above average

Cookies

RMS Regular
OP
Cookies
Drives
BMW
I've been running a few quotes over the past few days, and the prices are mental. For a learner, Sterling seems to be cheapest at around £350. When he passes his test, it looks like it'll be around 3 grand.................. madness.

AlpineJetta

RMS Regular
Drives
Old VWs
With insurance its always best to get it organised early. Ideally something like 21 days is the sweet spot so when you call or do an online application and it asks when you want the policies to start, 21 days away from the current day will be less than half the price of a policy starting today or tomorrow etc. Learned about this watching Martin Lewis on TV talking about it and how to get a better deal, my insurance dropped by more than half the following yeah using his tip.

davyk31

RMS Regular
The learner cover is cheap for sure and then jumps a load when they pass. My daughters is due again soon but was just over £2k last year with no black boxes. Maybe not too bad as it’s a Mini Cooper group 18 she has.

brendy

RMS Regular
I've been running a few quotes over the past few days, and the prices are mental. For a learner, Sterling seems to be cheapest at around £350. When he passes his test, it looks like it'll be around 3 grand.................. madness.
Try getting quotes for smaller engined cars like the Suzuki Splash etc Any amount of CC's seems to kill quotes. Puddle jumpers for the win!

paddymcc

RMS Regular
Drives
C63
AXA NI were cheapest for my young fella once he passed his test with the added bonus of no black box carry on too (about £1800).

I got his learner insurance in his own name with myself as a named driver through the usual comparison sites and it was around £300 for a year.

impact

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
@impact any idea who that was with ?

Was Adrian Flux, still to be convinced it was best route to go, but guess will soon see. No curfews but reading plenty of complaints about the older boxes GPS. No idea if the new one is better.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Back in 05 when I passed my test my first years insurance was £3400 on a 1.4 focus I bought for £3000 lol

Cookies

RMS Regular
OP
Cookies
Drives
BMW
AXA NI were cheapest for my young fella once he passed his test with the added bonus of no black box carry on too (about £1800).

I got his learner insurance in his own name with myself as a named driver through the usual comparison sites and it was around £300 for a year.
Ran a quote with AXA there, and it's coming in at £3400! 🤦‍♂️

paddymcc

RMS Regular
Drives
C63
Ran a quote with AXA there, and it's coming in at £3400! 🤦‍♂️

did you try adding yourself under his name too?

Also there is a massive variance on some cars for insurance for first time drivers despite being around 1 to 1.2 litre. I noticed something fresher under 2012 and under 1litre was cheapest, something like a Picanto, 208, 108, twingo etc. Some of the older mid 2000s small cars were very very expensive.

Cookies

RMS Regular
OP
Cookies
Drives
BMW
did you try adding yourself under his name too?

Also there is a massive variance on some cars for insurance for first time drivers despite being around 1 to 1.2 litre. I noticed something fresher under 2012 and under 1litre was cheapest, something like a Picanto, 208, 108, twingo etc. Some of the older mid 2000s small cars were very very expensive.
It's bizarre. That quote was with me included. I actually ran a quote for a fresher 2013 208 1 litre and it was 55 quid less than the 1.25 fiesta which is a 2010 model. No idea and no obvious pattern to it.