Younger driver on high insurance group

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Luke MK2

Drives
Passat B6
I'm having some trouble getting insured on a group 16 car, I'm 19, 1 years ncb and the best quote ive had so far is 4k from Adrian Flux..

Now this is with me as the only driver and being the policy holder.. Is there any other way i should go about this, like putting an older person as a named driver, or would this make an difference at all?

I have yet to try elephant or admiral, but most are too expensive or have limits on ages for group 16..

Any help appreciated.. Cheers, Luke.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
im nearly 22 and i couldnt get a decent quote on a type r (grp17)

id have 5 years NCB, 6 points on my insurance (off my lisence) and both parents named drivers and had quotes of £1800+

but if you have to be insured on it, insure it under your dads or mums name and you as a named driver

focus_rs_jonny

RMS Regular
Drives
Datsun
I had to start with an excess of £3000 for group 16. This was reduced to £1500 when i did the IAM test. The car is down as my dad being the legal owner which was essential also. It works out a premium of about £1000 then. That is with Royal and Sunalliance. Its odd as some companies are a straight no-no but others are more flexible. They allow me days in cars of group 20 with a days notice for no extra charge and the same excess, provided they are owned by my parents

sexxxo-vtr

Drives
330ci sport
try www.ecarinsurance.com - they are awesome i just turned 20 and im on a group 11 car, now have 0 no claims bonus thanks to some tart claiming of me, and i was with quinn who give me a renewal quote of 2500+ went to ecarinsurance and they beat it by over a grand.. got my insurance in my own name and parents as named drivers and 0 no claims bonus for 1300 nuggets!

Luke MK2

OP
Luke MK2
Drives
Passat B6
Im on a group 10 at the minute, and im paying just over a grand, but could strech 3k if i had too.. ill try the parent as a named driver

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
3k for insurance??

can you not wait a couple of years? lol progress up the bhp curve slowly!

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
try greenlight insurance, i've a group 20 car with them for a little over £100 more than i pay for the focus which is group 7 i think. It would need to be a modified car though.

As the man above asked... what car is it?

djlee_dj

RMS Regular
Drives
im 21, 3 years no claims and gettting insurance on group 20 for 850 quid, mod's declared, 3 points, windscreen cover, only me and the girlfriend on the insurance (shes 22, no ncb, driving 4years) .........

if adrian flux give you a bad quote, you prob cant insure it

facedownassup

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi A4
get the policy in yer ma or das, or an older relatives name and just out you on it as a named driver. youre not really spossed to do it but its the only way youll ever be able to get any insurance on it

djlee_dj

RMS Regular
Drives
start on your own. im glad i did. i can insure virtually anything now after 3 years on my own policy.

i started on a 1litre micra (grp 3,54BHp) then to BMW 318is coupe(grp 14,140 Bhp) then to mr2 turbo (grp 20, 220+ Bhp) ..........

xspeedstarx

RMS Regular
Drives
X 5 r33 gtr
I`m sure a few on here will remember the days when it only cost a tenner to be added to your ma/da`s insurance.

xspeedstarx

RMS Regular
Drives
X 5 r33 gtr
if adrian flux give you a bad quote, you prob cant insure it

yeah right, told them about the mod`s to mine and they said they didn`t count. When your over 600bhp where is the line that differentiates between mod`s an none

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
flux rule, but its a pain they only cover modded motors, had to tell em the passat was lowered to get the massive premium of...... £308

andy_gdon

RMS Regular
Drives
GTi Polo
try www.ecarinsurance.com - they are awesome i just turned 20 and im on a group 11 car, now have 0 no claims bonus thanks to some tart claiming of me, and i was with quinn who give me a renewal quote of 2500+ went to ecarinsurance and they beat it by over a grand.. got my insurance in my own name and parents as named drivers and 0 no claims bonus for 1300 nuggets!

lol

did you hit her?

andy_gdon

RMS Regular
Drives
GTi Polo
personally i think the way, myself, djlee etc did it makes most sense.

Why drive a car that isn't yours/isn't insured properly etc etc, just so that you can own a quick car when your younger? Buy a grp 1-5 car, and insure it in your name for a few years and build up some NCD, then move on to a faster car for another few years, then go for the grp20 tarmac terrorist!

Andy_09

RMS Regular
Drives
Ford focus 1.8
Flux do provide cover if you don't have mod's, because I got a quote with mods and without mods just out of interest, and it was 400 quid more with the mods.

Jonny

RMS Regular
tis true andy

306 dturbo s grp 5
corsa sport grp 5
306 hdi grp 5
saxo vtr grp 7
saxo vts grp 14
come june i turn 25 then grp 17 all being well :grinning:

Smoore

RMS Regular
if you dont mind bending the law buy cheap group 1-3car,insure it in your name with quinn,there policys allow you to drive any other car 3rd party as long as it isnt yours,a jeep,2 seater,commercial vehicle!
buy your other car and get it in your parents name in the tax book pay them to insure it!see what sort of money it costs that way!you also get the added bonus of having a cheap tun around while your high group car is away gettin modified :grinning:
failing that save your money a few years drive a cheap low group car+when you get a few years ncb get a faster toy to play with

djlee_dj

RMS Regular
Drives
personally i think the way, myself, djlee etc did it makes most sense.

Why drive a car that isn't yours/isn't insured properly etc etc, just so that you can own a quick car when your younger? Buy a grp 1-5 car, and insure it in your name for a few years and build up some NCD, then move on to a faster car for another few years, then go for the grp20 tarmac terrorist!

yip and im still only 21. i think ive done alright insurance wise , still the 2.5k for the micra was a tad extreme lol

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.