Younger driver on high insurance group

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

andy_gdon

RMS Regular
Drives
GTi Polo
my cars...

Corsa 1.0l...grp 2 lol (kept the insurance to a minimum) 55bhp
Ibiza 130pd....grp7 (kept standard for a year or 2) 130 standard...185ish modified
Evo FQ300...grp20 305bhp standard - would be interesting to see what its putting out now

Quite a jump between stage 2 and 3. Only reason i didn't change the Ibiza was because of the stupid miles i was doing every week. Since i got married and did less than 100miles per week i decided to change promptly!!

Question is...What do i buy next?!?! Autronic the 7....Sell up, buy a 6 and use the spare cash to Autonic that....or buy something else?!

Sean_D

u need to go under someones name, im 19 under my das name on a group 17 vtec prelude paying 700 a year

djlee_dj

RMS Regular
Drives
18 years old - 1.0l micra - grp 3 - 53Bhp

20 years old - 1.8 Bmw coupe - 140Bhp

21 years old - 2.0l turbo jap import mr2 - 240Bhp + filter, downpipe, exhaust, boost mod's :grinning:

Harry

RMS Regular
Drives
V8
yep thats how I done it too, and seemed to work. Gone down the hill now in power so insurance is cheaper, But a step up in reliability, comfort and general pose factor!
Lee thats fooking cheap on the mr2 (y)

Bronk

RMS Regular
i dont no how i got good insurance quotes to be honest

20 yr old just passed test - saxo vts -group 14 - fully comp 1.7k
21 yr old 1 ncb - bmw 325i - group 17 - 1.2k fully comp

insurance is a funny old game

andy_gdon

RMS Regular
Drives
GTi Polo
18 years old - 1.0l micra - grp 3 - 53Bhp

20 years old - 1.8 Bmw coupe - 140Bhp

21 years old - 2.0l turbo jap import mr2 - 240Bhp + filter, downpipe, exhaust, boost mod's :grinning:

Your MR2 gain 20bhp in just a few posts :p

Only jokin man - how do you find it? My mate wants one (is on the look out for a decent one) but i hear they are cr@p on twisty roads....and just plain dangerous on wet/damp roads - he is a guy who travels everywhere flat out...can see where a MR2 is going to get him!!

Bilal

RMS Regular
Drives
Tesla Y
i got insured on my Nissan 200sx for 1.6k mods declared and im only turning 20 with 2 yrs ncb under belt. Group 18 car:p

Maxer

buy a rev 3:p , most of the shocking handling storys reagards the mr2 come from the earlier revisions before major suspension and transmission upgrades. A properly set up rev 3 on twisty roads will handle like a go-kart(y)

just to keep it on topic progression with insurance is the only way to go. I went
1992 1.2 Nova - Group 2
1989 1.6 Golf Driver - Group 9
1995 1.5 Civic lsi - Group 11
1994 2.0 MR2 G-limited - Group 16
1995 2.0 MR2 Turbo - Group 18
1997 2.0 EVO IV - Group 20. Insurance is now £1000 fully comp.

djlee_dj

RMS Regular
Drives
my revison was built/designed and racing drivers had alot to do with the suspension and driving/handling style and went for 'on the edge handling' ...... just the way you like it (but a suspension change will sort that out).... no point going for a spirited run in a 4wd that anyone can steer at any speed (not trying to be smart or cheeky)

andy_gdon

RMS Regular
Drives
GTi Polo
my revison was built/designed and racing drivers had alot to do with the suspension and driving/handling style and went for 'on the edge handling' ...... just the way you like it (but a suspension change will sort that out).... no point going for a spirited run in a 4wd that anyone can steer at any speed (not trying to be smart or cheeky)

Driving a proper 4wd machine aint just a point and play exercise though Lee!! Granted its easier than a rwd...but a good rwd involves the driver and gives progressive stepping out!! Someone once described an MR2 as a hateful car that never did the same thing twice - to me that is the sign of a car with poor handling characteristics.

(not having a go - just quoting from someone who has alot of experience etc...and playing devils advocate)

djlee_dj

RMS Regular
Drives
or its designed as it was meant to be 'on the edge handling' .... 'not for those who cant handle/operate opposite lock'.

then they tamed it down to be more user friendly.

if you dont like the early mr2s handling a suspension change sorts it (and LSD) ... and most if not all evo's , scoob's etc have suspension changed for the better also

who wants a car that you arent challenged/scared in ? thats why people drive hard

mine handles ok tbh (think the LSD helps), but will be getting changed also

andy_gdon

RMS Regular
Drives
GTi Polo
From what i hear though - they are too snappy and unpredictable? ie...they have ****ed you through a hedge before you know it.

As i say...im not running them down, as ive always loved them.

Maxer

How long you had the mister 2? You will see what they are all about especially at this time of year. I drove them for nearly 4 years there so consider myself to have a fair idea of how they behave on the road in all conditions. One thing you might not be aware of though is regardless of revision there is no such thing as opposite lock with an mr2 if you are driving it to its limit. Massive pendulem effect when they let go and and you wont catch it, they mr2 was not designed to be drove sideways.

Tony@Greenlight

RMS Trader
Drives
Mini Cooper S Wk
try greenlight insurance, i've a group 20 car with them for a little over £100 more than i pay for the focus which is group 7 i think. It would need to be a modified car though.

As the man above asked... what car is it?

Just to clarify, it would need to be a performance model but doesnt need to be modified (y)

Kind regards

Tony

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.