zafira b heater blower still not working - resistor replaced

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

CW E46

RMS Regular
Hi all!

My blower was working intermittently so i replaced the heater fan resistor with a new oem part. The problem is not fixed and symptoms are the same - only works sometimes, and when it does it's only on 1,2 and 4.

Can anyone advise as to what the problem could be?

Have i fitted the resistor correctly? I just plugged it in and left it sort of 'unattached to anything'.. and refitted glove box etc.

Any help would be very much appreciated folks

Thanks

Craig

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
faults from interweb, may be of some help....

It's the ventilation fan behind the glovebox you're talking about not the heater, but 4 to 6 years seems to be the lifespan of Astra H / Zafira B resistor packs. However it seems increasingly common for the ventilation fans to begin to stick or seize up. This blows the thermal cutout on the resistor pack (this controls speeds 1 to 3). Owners then replace the resistor pack and it may work again for a while but the sticking fan may blow cutout again before fan finally dies. It's rumoured to be £300 for a new fan!!

I attempted this today,it was one side of the connector on heater unit that came away from its solder,so i soldered it back on again and it now works perfectly,and also i changed my pollen filter,glad i did,other one was disgusting

Blowers are electric motors with fan blades attached. If it is playing up it will be a case of any or all of the following: faulty wiring to/from the switch, a faulty switch, a failing electric motor or something stopping the fan from turning (like foreign material stuck in the blades, eg leaves). Is the fan noisy when it does operate (ie metallic screeching)? If so then the motor bearings could be on the way out too.

A lot of blower motor intermittent (and finally complete !) failures are due to the build up of dirt and pitting on the commutator of the motor.
To get at the commutator. Take the fan motor assembly out. On a corsa d the motor can be removed from the plastic fan by undoing the two silver bolts ( you may have to work a screwdriver around the electrical socket seal to allow it to be pulled out.) The commutator is the set of copper segments that move round as you spin the motor. The best place to get at it is on the opposite side to the connection socket. You can get proprietry brands of cleaning stick, but you can use fine emery paper. Hold it on with you finger and spin the motor until clean. Make sure you blow out any dust with a hair drier before reassembly. Could save you £100 plus for a new motor.

Last edited:
Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.