Zircotec - Ceramic exhaust manifold coatings

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
Hi Folks,

Just wondering if anyone has experience of the likes of Zircotec for coating an exhaust manifold?

http://www.zircotec.com

I'm looking into it from the "performance" benefits and keeping under bonnet temps down for a track car.

It's a very very expensive alternative to wrapping the manifold and a diy rattle can job.

Thanks,
Neil

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Expensive....and even more expensive and less reliable if the parts are not brand new.

And it'll still be bloody hot regardless. If you can buy the parts new already coated, it would likely be cheaper than getting it done to old parts !

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
Expensive....and even more expensive and less reliable if the parts are not brand new.

And it'll still be bloody hot regardless. If you can buy the parts new already coated, it would likely be cheaper than getting it done to old parts !

Thanks Stevie, depending on the option I go for, I've a 1 or 3 year guarantee.

They won't be new parts either, unfortunately buying new already coated isn't an option.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Cheers Stevie, I'll be polite here, quite a few people used the product they use and moved to Zircotec.

As said..I know nothing about them other than people were advertising/sharing them on FB a while back, and can't even say if the product line is the same.

Of course...if you search you will also find many unhappy Zircotec customers too. They will guarantee coating brand new parts, from what I've heard there is no guarantee on anything that has been used, but they and Camcoat are about the two biggest names doing such things.

You find mixed reports on both. IMO it's a lot of money for the risk, with minimal gains.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
As said..I know nothing about them other than people were advertising/sharing them on FB a while back, and can't even say if the product line is the same.

Of course...if you search you will also find many unhappy Zircotec customers too. They will guarantee coating brand new parts, from what I've heard there is no guarantee on anything that has been used, but they and Camcoat are about the two biggest names doing such things.

You find mixed reports on both. IMO it's a lot of money for the risk, with minimal gains.

Not at all, I appreciate the input (y).

The money it costs is a bit off putting, so I'm swaying towards "ceramic" painting it myself and wrapping it ontop of that.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I remember that F40LM rebuild that had a very detailed build blog used zircotec coating iirc and there was lots of annoyance at the amount of debris inside the manifolds that would have damaged the turbos. They were returned a few times and eventually they had to sort it themselves from memory.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
I've been doing a little more research. The jist is any coating or wrap holds the heat in (as per their design).

This heat has to go somewhere, so it cooks the manifold, goes into the head etc.

So while it can reduce under-bonnet temperatures, it can cause other issues.

That's a quick summary of what I found, clear as mud!

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
I remember that F40LM rebuild that had a very detailed build blog used zircotec coating iirc and there was lots of annoyance at the amount of debris inside the manifolds that would have damaged the turbos. They were returned a few times and eventually they had to sort it themselves from memory.

Good shout, you jogged my memory on that!

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
If you heat wrap or coat a manifold, the heat will go downstream with the exhaust flow to the rest of the system which is one of the reasons you see modern wrc cars with glowing exhaust pipes at the back of the car as it is heat protected over the whole length of the car. It will really only heat soak back into the head if you turn the engine off immediately after running at high heat. TBH for a trackday car, you are looking to knock a bit of heat off the manifold temps and assume you will loose the heat through the system.
Good quality heat wrap should do the job rightly imo.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
Cheers gents, if I'm honest, I'm more confused than when I started. :party:

Neil Kirkpatrick

RMS Regular
Drives
Subaru Impreza P
I have it in two cars with no complaints. One in a motorsport car with no issues of it peeling off.
One of the times was used parts. All I did was give them a good clean with a scotchbrite before sending them over.

Would certainly recommend it.

Heat wrap goes hard and brittle over a time period and always breaks up. That's using the good expensive stuff too

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
I have it in two cars with no complaints. One in a motorsport car with no issues of it peeling off.
One of the times was used parts. All I did was give them a good clean with a scotchbrite before sending them over.

Would certainly recommend it.

Heat wrap goes hard and brittle over a time period and always breaks up. That's using the good expensive stuff too

Cheers Neil, it's sure still on the radar.

It does speak volumes if, presumably the rally car, uses it without a problem.

Did you notice any difference?

Last edited:

MarkM

RMS Regular
Works and has stood the test of time on my full race manifold

IMG_2482.jpg

IMG_2491.jpg

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
Works and has stood the test of time on my full race manifold

Cheers Mark, that works for aesthetics alone!

Did you notice any difference before / after, or was it done on a new part?

MarkM

RMS Regular
New one Neil 8-|
I almost didn't do it as it looked pretty, nekkid but with the engine build and turbo I had to try to control temps
IMG_2279.jpg

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
Cheers, any thoughts on the comments that the heat moves into the head etc?

MarkM

RMS Regular
Cheers, any thoughts on the comments that the heat moves into the head etc?

Only that I've had no issues, coated manifold and wrapped down pipe and full exhaust, pops and crackles like a ******* though lol No head work on mine, just cams, springs/retainers

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Working and looking great on my RB parts, and they have been properly hot, as in glowing white red hot.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
The RB gets so hot anyway I'm not sure I'd notice any extra heat in the head but I don't see it making much difference as I'm not convinced the parts actually run much hotter, only that not so much heat escapes into the surrounding air/bay.

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
So how Expensive is Expensive?

How much for say the 4cylinder manifold above? I'm considering it but I've a right bit of stuff needing done.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.