Police clampdown on loud exhaust's

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Look, like I've said many times before, police aren't targetting aftermarket exhausts or back boxes that are slightly noisier than std, its the ones that are clearly (by a reasonable persons standards) producing far too much noise and likely to be causing a nuisance as a result. You know who you are.
I think most of us grasp what you are trying to say, sadly i think some peelers are just being robocop's on a prime directive and thats causing some uproar (n)

Certainly some posting here are not angelic as they try to make out with their exhausts, not to mention names (boy_racer :p), but its just the usual police ones making bad names for all...

Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
Bus
Certainly some posting here are not angelic as they try to make out with their exhausts, not to mention names (boy_racer :p), but its just the usual police ones making bad names for all...

The civic in question has a new exhaust and cat ;)

Resintooth

RMS Regular
Drives
AP1 S2000
I've been told by a could of people in the know that they have to test your car before anything can really be done about it. If they stop you just accept there warning and go on your way. Next time you get stopped you'll get told you're going to be brought to court. Agree again. How is the police officers case going to stand up in court when he has no proof at all that your car is too loud.

It's when they start testing if they ever do it will become a problem.

It's only what i've been told but i really don't think the people who told me this are going to be wrong.:p

rybo

RMS Regular
I've been told by a could of people in the know that they have to test your car before anything can really be done about it. If they stop you just accept there warning and go on your way. Next time you get stopped you'll get told you're going to be brought to court. Agree again. How is the police officers case going to stand up in court when he has no proof at all that your car is too loud.

It's when they start testing if they ever do it will become a problem.

It's only what i've been told but i really don't think the people who told me this are going to be wrong.:p

I'm sorry but they are wrong.

Try contacting your local Traffic Branch office and enquire with them.

If a person is acting the wag in the street they can be arrested for causing a breach of the peace or disorderly behaviour. On the evidence of a police officer. How do you measure that? A motorist can be convicted of speeding solely on the evidence of police officers without any speed measuring equipment. If a person tries to hit someone else & misses they can be convicted of attempted assault on the evidence of an officer OR a non-police witness. PROVIDED the evidence of the officer is accepted by the court. That's what witnesses are about.

If the cases are challenged in court, the officers give their evidence in the witness box & can be questioned by the defendant or his lawyer. Ultimately the court decides.

Resintooth

RMS Regular
Drives
AP1 S2000
Funny that. Came straight from a traffic branch officers mouth.:-#

I didn't mention acting the wag. I'd totally agree with that. If you are in the wrong then you deserve to get a slap on the wrists. I'm purely talking about the noise levels.

rybo

RMS Regular
Funny that. Came straight from a traffic branch officers mouth.:-#

I didn't mention acting the wag. I'd totally agree with that. If you are in the wrong then you deserve to get a slap on the wrists. I'm purely talking about the noise levels.

Well if you pm his name I'll gladly enlighten him/her with the recent internal policy communications outlining this very matter that he doesn't appear to know about. Funny that.

Resintooth

RMS Regular
Drives
AP1 S2000
Well if you pm his name I'll gladly enlighten him/her with the recent internal policy communications outlining this very matter that he doesn't appear to know about. Funny that.

So if you get stopped and brought to court for your exhaust being too loud because the office thinks it is but hasn't actually tested it at the road side you could get fined? Is that correct?

I'd rather not mention any names thanks very much.(y)(y)

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
Drives
S2000
Seems very strange that the police can just use their judgment and opinion to get a conviction. Just hope that you dont know a police man that has a grudge against you.

A police man from ards tried to prosocute my friend and i for speeding while he was on duty by himself. He stopped all five of us at one while we were in a convoy on the newtownards carriageway, saying that we had been sitting at 90 in a 70. He apparently used a calibrated speedo to clock 5 cars in two different lanes at once on his own. 3 of my friends paid as they could afford the points and didnt want the hassle of court. But my friend and i protested along with another 9 people represented by the same solicitor. We won our case as the sgt failed to produce his procedure on conviction by calibrated speedo. I lost £700 by taking it to court, and although inocent i wasnt able to get a penny back, seems unfair considering as soon as the police stop you your out of pocket either way.

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
Drives
S2000
The other thing i have a problem with is in my experiance the police never seen to be on the same page, what one policeman says always contradicts another.

Alan_B

RMS Regular
Drives
Whatever
He stopped all five of us at one while we were in a convoy on the newtownards carriageway, saying that we had been sitting at 90 in a 70. He apparently used a calibrated speedo to clock 5 cars in two different lanes at once on his own.

How the hell did one police officer/car manage to pull over 5 cars at once?!

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
Drives
S2000
no body in the group seen him as there were no lights behind us for a good bit, he followed us into the car park just after the carriageway coming into comber. He started handing out tickets and then ran out so had to call for back up, there were 3 peoples cars and about 9 policemen and women there lol. He even tried to book a person that was just sitting in the car park lol, didnt have a clue in the slightest

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Fighting an opinion in court against a cop, is nigh on impossible, unless you had the most expensive barrister on the planet.

Everyone knows the judge will always believe a cop, regardless of what they say, against a civilian.

ek4

RMS Regular
Drives
ek4
that sucks "captain" the way you won the case but cost a bomb :worried:

think i would pay that just to sicken them anyway (y)

been there also as a header of a cop done me for 106mph and was doing high 80`s(long story to go into detail)
court+"knitted up system"= points and fine which is prob 3 times more expensive than a joyrider would get :oops:

dont get me started ! :mad::mad:

p.s the cop was later took off traffic duty as too many cases against him flagged up
he was taking the pi$$

rybo

RMS Regular
So if you get stopped and brought to court for your exhaust being too loud because the office thinks it is but hasn't actually tested it at the road side you could get fined? Is that correct?

I'd rather not mention any names thanks very much.(y)(y)

No I didn't think so.

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
Drives
S2000
Ricky if it was a sgt whos name begain with "ho" and ended "wel" then im thinking it was the same person. The judge recomened that he be removed from his dutiesa after our case.

rybo

RMS Regular
I lost £700 by taking it to court, and although inocent i wasnt able to get a penny back, seems unfair considering as soon as the police stop you your out of pocket either way.

I have to agree wholeheartedly with you here. That is unfair, if you are found not guilty, you have to pay your legal costs.

weehazey89

RMS Regular
Drives
Glanza
i got stopped last fri night! the woman police officer then handed me a leaflet saying there clamping down on exhaust and they have the power to just take it off u! but the most annoying bit is, i hardly go through town, just like my cars!

andy_gdon

RMS Regular
Drives
GTi Polo

Resin told me his first name was Gavin....not sure on his surname though :p:p:party::party:

Now, when are the local law enforcers (the same guys issuing £30 fines) going to start pulling the 16-18yr olds takin drugs, drinking, breaking and entering etc etc. Surely geting these kids into their house will do society much more of a favour - would certainly make my life and job so much easier!

ek4

RMS Regular
Drives
ek4
Ricky if it was a sgt whos name begain with "ho" and ended "wel" then im thinking it was the same person. The judge recomened that he be removed from his dutiesa after our case.

thats the wooden one!
what a waste of space that guy :oops:,he was took off duty after i got shafted so didnt know about all the other cases against him :mad:

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
Drives
S2000
Appently he is very well known to the courts, he had a string of weak cases regarding incidents with the calibrated speedo and the hair dryer, most people pay the fine, but would love to know how many people have had their speed estimated. I would say that most were speeding, i know i was but no where near the speed he claimed, i was sitting at aout 75 if even not the 90- 92 he estimated, which is incredibly accurated considering i was the second car out of 5.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.