Police clampdown on loud exhaust's

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
We like a good moan.....

But it would be a great idea to get a group of locals who are being harassed, to go to these DPP meetings, just to see what actually does go on. And to see what the cops real agenda is with regards to policing crime in these areas.

And to see if there are actually any genuine complaints about noise etc...or is it just one person whinging.

And maybe raise a few complaints about illegal parking outside churches most weekends....

Al-mera

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan Pulsar Au
My car is pretty noisy but that is basically the way it left the factory. Would a silencer in the exhaust make any difference or would Mr Police officer still say the exhaust is too big, Its a complete joke soon they will make it that you cant drive your bloody car at all after a certain hour.

Mark_C

RMS Regular
The problem with people having their say - is that only the baby boomer generation are the ones that actually bother - those close to retiring or who are retired - the same people who make up the majority of voters.

The voice of these organisations tend to therefore be the voice of the older generations.

Younger generations don't tend to get involved in these sorts of things, unless they're forced to by local 'community' pressure. It's their own fault at the end of the day unfortunately.

rybo

RMS Regular
Thats because the younger generation often couldn't give a monkeys about how other people feel.

A good example is the state that young drivers / car enthusiasts leave car parks in. And the way ordinary motorists see them entering, exiting & driving within the car park.

Its hard to convince the majority of people in the community, who don't litter or spin their wheels, that this group of people's concerns should be listened to (as well as their noisy exhausts).

Don't attack me for saying this, but I think until you can understand why folk are complaining, there's no point in just labelling them as moaning old fuddy-duddies.

rybo

RMS Regular
We like a good moan.....

But it would be a great idea to get a group of locals who are being harassed, to go to these DPP meetings, just to see what actually does go on. And to see what the cops real agenda is with regards to policing crime in these areas.

And to see if there are actually any genuine complaints about noise etc...or is it just one person whinging.

And maybe raise a few complaints about illegal parking outside churches most weekends....

Some like to moan more than others.

Unless your moaning falls on the right ears, and you have legitimate alternatives to offer, you're wasting your breath / keystrokes.

Go to the DPP meetings. See what goes on in your area. Question your local police commanders & do something positive.

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
often couldn't give a monkeys about how other people feel.

In truth no one give a flying **** about how other people feel, be they 19 or 90. If they did no one would complain about another's actions.

People who complain about loud exhausts don't care about how other people feel any more than the people with the loud exhausts.

I don't like loud exhausts, so I am going to complain, and **** anyone who does like them

I like loud exhausts, so i am fitting one to my car, and **** anyone who dosen't like them

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Bit like buy a house near an airport. Then start campaigning like mad to get the airport shut down because its noisy..

Eh wot ??? How about **** off. Obviously this applies to motorsport venues too. Are those people complaining really justified in doing so, despite the courts etc often listening to them ??

I dont think so. Do tens of thousands of people petition in favour of the motorsport venues against maybe a handful of moaning idiots ?
In pretty much every case.

Do the moaners win...sadly, often they do.

Where I live, occasionally you hear a car with a loud exhaust drive by. OCCASIONALLY. Key word here.
Now if it was constantly outside my house, 24/7, then perhaps I would have a right to complain. Given it isnt...and its maybe a few seconds at a time. How about these moaners get stuffed, and get on with their lifes without interfering with others who are doing them no harm.

As I said, if I was to complain about all the illegal parking, often dangerous parking outside churches during their worship, would cars get clamped and towed ?? NO.

If I was to complain about screaming kids in the evening if Im trying to sleep, causing a real nuisance, would anything be done ? NO

If those same kids were causing damage, kicking balls against cars etc....would anything be done ??? NO.

There are lots of things, many illegal that the police take no action against. I really cant see how a car, perhaps with a slightly louder exhaust, being driven normally through a town, is of any nuisance to anyone.

As I say, if there is a specfic complaint by a resident, about a particular car that is always extremely loud near or at their home causing a nuisance, then by all means the police could speak to that individual person.

But dishing fines out randomly to everyone. Get a life.

james123

RMS Regular
Bit like buy a house near an airport. Then start campaigning like mad to get the airport shut down because its noisy..

Eh wot ??? How about **** off. Obviously this applies to motorsport venues too. Are those people complaining really justified in doing so, despite the courts etc often listening to them ??

I dont think so. Do tens of thousands of people petition in favour of the motorsport venues against maybe a handful of moaning idiots ?
In pretty much every case.

Do the moaners win...sadly, often they do.

Where I live, occasionally you hear a car with a loud exhaust drive by. OCCASIONALLY. Key word here.
Now if it was constantly outside my house, 24/7, then perhaps I would have a right to complain. Given it isnt...and its maybe a few seconds at a time. How about these moaners get stuffed, and get on with their lifes without interfering with others who are doing them no harm.

As I said, if I was to complain about all the illegal parking, often dangerous parking outside churches during their worship, would cars get clamped and towed ?? NO.

If I was to complain about screaming kids in the evening if Im trying to sleep, causing a real nuisance, would anything be done ? NO

If those same kids were causing damage, kicking balls against cars etc....would anything be done ??? NO.

There are lots of things, many illegal that the police take no action against. I really cant see how a car, perhaps with a slightly louder exhaust, being driven normally through a town, is of any nuisance to anyone.

As I say, if there is a specfic complaint by a resident, about a particular car that is always extremely loud near or at their home causing a nuisance, then by all means the police could speak to that individual person.

But dishing fines out randomly to everyone. Get a life.

Well said!!

ricky_t

RMS Regular
Drives
M3Cx
Well said Stevie!

As ive said before they can waste their time trying to enforce this if they want, but at least try and do it properly with set Db limits etc

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
set dB limits, measured in a controlled, consistent environment.

Nope..I'd be happy with them applying some common sense. The l;ast thing we need is these people in power, wasting all of our taxes, creating law after law after law after law after law after law after law against motorists......you get the point.

But it would be interesting to see what goes on at these. Obviously car owners would never get listened to...but nevertheless.

District Policing Partnerships

You are invited to the next DPP Public Information Meeting on Tuesday 21st April 2009 at 7pm to discuss the proposed closure of the Templepatrick police station in Templepatrick Primary School, Templepatrick.

Damn, I missed that one. Do they update the site so people know when meetings take place ?

loliver

RMS Regular
Drives
nurburgring 223
rybo you said about putting your exhaust back to standard.... i drive a diesel clio, standard exhaust and i got stopped in cookstown on saturday night and told my car is too loud and then told i was one of these annoying people that cause a nuisance and well i only drove up the street coming out of the cinema :worried:

rybo

RMS Regular
Maybe you were revving the nuts off it!

Ask yourself - if you drove up the street the way you did on Saturday night, on your driving test, would you have passed?

Any vehicle is capable of making excessive noise - engine revving excessively, tyres squealing, stereo blasting, needlessly blowing horn etc.

But others make sure theirs make excessive noise all the time by fitting loud exhausts.

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
Maybe you were revving the nuts off it!

Ask yourself - if you drove up the street the way you did on Saturday night, on your driving test, would you have passed?

Any vehicle is capable of making excessive noise - engine revving excessively, tyres squealing, stereo blasting, needlessly blowing horn etc.

But others make sure theirs make excessive noise all the time by fitting loud exhausts.

diesel.... rev.... seriously???? :party::party::party::party:

rybo

RMS Regular
set dB limits, measured in a controlled, consistent environment.

How would you propose this be done?

How would you get round the issue of ambient noise?

For example, Great Victoria Street at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon is a tad noisier than a rural B Class road at 4am - but maybe not if its very windy. Or the rain is pouring down.

As far as I'm aware, the only way of achieving what you're suggesting is by building sealed totally soundproofed rooms. And enough of them over the country so you wouldn't have to be trailed off for a half hour journey. Not really practical nor cost-effective. Mind you, if those wanting boom boxes were required to fund the building, maintenance and staffing costs through test fees... Not really practical either, is it?

Look, like I've said many times before, police aren't targetting aftermarket exhausts or back boxes that are slightly noisier than std, its the ones that are clearly (by a reasonable persons standards) producing far too much noise and likely to be causing a nuisance as a result. You know who you are.

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
Look, like I've said many times before, police aren't targetting aftermarket exhausts or back boxes that are slightly noisier than std, its the ones that are clearly (by a reasonable persons standards) producing far too much noise and likely to be causing a nuisance as a result. You know who you are.

I think everyone would acknowledge that certain people driving certain cars with loud exhausts cause annoyance.

But the way the police are going about this is what is getting people's back up and not doing you guys any favours.

Anyone with any common sense knows that you must at least make an effort to measure the noise before you can conclude whether or not it is excessive. If the police took the time to measure the noise level then I'm sure people would be much more tolerant. Bit like nowadays you guys use the light meters on tinted windows.

Secondly (and this is an issue with the law imo) it seems pointless to me to base your judgement (or indeed sound measurements) against the sound level that a car produces as standard from the factory. The Porsche or Ferrari from the factory is always going to be louder than a standard 1.2 Corsa so it seems to me that the law cannot be applied consistently to the people. Surely I can therefore make my car as loud up that same level...

And if anyone says that Ferrari's are raking about town centres at night, that is not the point. The law should treat everyone the same. Simple trackday rules often have a single noise limit irrespective of the car. The law should be the same imo.

Karlos Da Jackle

RMS Regular
Drives
PUG 306+GSI CARL
How would you propose this be done?

How would you get round the issue of ambient noise?

For example, Great Victoria Street at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon is a tad noisier than a rural B Class road at 4am - but maybe not if its very windy. Or the rain is pouring down.

As far as I'm aware, the only way of achieving what you're suggesting is by building sealed totally soundproofed rooms. And enough of them over the country so you wouldn't have to be trailed off for a half hour journey. Not really practical nor cost-effective. Mind you, if those wanting boom boxes were required to fund the building, maintenance and staffing costs through test fees... Not really practical either, is it?

Nah, just have a guide limit, and the officers have a db meter, let all back ground noise be accounted for, so when stopped let teh officer set the db meter within distance of motor, and give the car a rev to so many rpm. not off the limiter, as that would be silly. lol, but of the exhaust is silly noisey then slap with the fine. But in all fairness, fines for exhausts isn't going to help curb the number of deaths on the road.

rybo

RMS Regular
Nah, just have a guide limit, and the officers have a db meter, let all back ground noise be accounted for, so when stopped let teh officer set the db meter within distance of motor, and give the car a rev to so many rpm. not off the limiter, as that would be silly. lol, but of the exhaust is silly noisey then slap with the fine. But in all fairness, fines for exhausts isn't going to help curb the number of deaths on the road.

How do you 'account' for all background noise? Gusts of wind, another noisy exhaust driving by, people shouting or whatever.

If you're going down the line of wanting precise measurements, it would, in my opinion, have to be just that.

This enforcement may not have a huge effect on road deaths, but it might make the quality of life a little better for many ordinary people in the community the police serve.

Karlos Da Jackle

RMS Regular
Drives
PUG 306+GSI CARL
How do you 'account' for all background noise? Gusts of wind, another noisy exhaust driving by, people shouting or whatever.

If you're going down the line of wanting precise measurements, it would, in my opinion, have to be just that.

This enforcement may not have a huge effect on road deaths, but it might make the quality of life a little better for many ordinary people in the community the police serve.

These peole that are so effected, tell them to write god a letter of complaint teh next time we have thunder.

I'm not bothered, as in i understand people need peace, so yes if someone is really driving about being a nuisance, yeah hit them with a fine, if it is silly noisey. some police just don't use common sense to say that is far too noisey, or thats a little noisey son, just calm down a bit with revs if you going through town or past houses.

This is more a case of common sense policing, but the problem with common sense is, that it's not soo common.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
If background noise raises the sound level above that of the exhaust.....then clearly the exhaust is the least of their worries.

The quotes I took from that newspaper article in Scotland are proof of the gibberish, where they said 80db was twice as loud as 70db, and therefore a nuisance.

Its just a pity that 70db would make for an almost silent car....the engine and tyres would probably make more noise than the exhaust ! or a door slamming....or a sparrow farting.
Even 80dB isnt loud at all in terms of the road system.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.