Police clampdown on loud exhaust's

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Neill_S14

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan Silvia Sp
Appently he is very well known to the courts, he had a string of weak cases regarding incidents with the calibrated speedo and the hair dryer, most people pay the fine, but would love to know how many people have had their speed estimated. I would say that most were speeding, i know i was but no where near the speed he claimed, i was sitting at aout 75 if even not the 90- 92 he estimated, which is incredibly accurated considering i was the second car out of 5.

Tried to do me as well, i was part of that 13 or so that all had their cases droped. Again he tried to say i was doin silly speed, 110 in a 60 in my case. On his own with a calibrated speedo. Many Thanks to the guys who fought it cause i was lookin at losin the books and didnt have the cash to fight it. It seems justice can prevail but at a cost. Makes me sick.

Mark_C

RMS Regular
How would you propose this be done?

How would you get round the issue of ambient noise?

For example, Great Victoria Street at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon is a tad noisier than a rural B Class road at 4am - but maybe not if its very windy. Or the rain is pouring down.

As far as I'm aware, the only way of achieving what you're suggesting is by building sealed totally soundproofed rooms. And enough of them over the country so you wouldn't have to be trailed off for a half hour journey. Not really practical nor cost-effective. Mind you, if those wanting boom boxes were required to fund the building, maintenance and staffing costs through test fees... Not really practical either, is it?

Look, like I've said many times before, police aren't targetting aftermarket exhausts or back boxes that are slightly noisier than std, its the ones that are clearly (by a reasonable persons standards) producing far too much noise and likely to be causing a nuisance as a result. You know who you are.

Any sound level device I worked with in the past had self calibration. The algorithm that works out the final spl takes into account the background noise. You are also able to filter by frequency - an adjustable bandpass allows you to drown out/cancel most noises to the point of insignificance.

Whilst it's never possible to be spot on - you can get a reasonable result to the closest 2-3dB - and then several readings to get an average would bring that down.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I had to laugh earlier. There was an article about Scottish cops in a Scottish paper where they are targetting motorists with this BS.

The article stated

If, for instance, you take a Ford 1.3-litre car with a decibel level of 70 and attach a back box to the exhaust, that could increase the level to 80. I'm told that represents a doubling of the volume.

Why is this funny ??

Reading a report in an American magazine about the new Hyundai Genesis 4.6 luxury car. Aiming at the likes of Lexus, Merc, BMW etc...

At full throttle accelerating..noise levels measured inside the car, 73dB
Cruising at 70mph...70dB

Damn those car exhausts at around 70-80 must be deafening if they are as loud as inside a luxury car.

Although the article itself is full of so much crap, and showng how the officers making statemtns dont have a clue what they are talking about.
http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/lawandorder/Police-to-use-noise-meters.4811524.jp

Typical media I guess.

spaceh0pper

RMS Regular
Drives
Pedestrian
As much as i dont agree with some of the things being done (sorry the way they being done) you will never beat the system..

That's exactly what they want you to think. If enough people cared enough to get off their arses and protest and make an issue of things, instead of sitting around moaning about it on the internet, the system can be beaten

In France, there are mass protests all the time, and the government have to listen.

UK citizens are such plebbs that the government have even made it illegal to have a gathering in public without permission... and no one even noticed. How sad is that?

loliver

RMS Regular
Drives
nurburgring 223
Maybe you were revving the nuts off it!

Ask yourself - if you drove up the street the way you did on Saturday night, on your driving test, would you have passed?

Any vehicle is capable of making excessive noise - engine revving excessively, tyres squealing, stereo blasting, needlessly blowing horn etc.

But others make sure theirs make excessive noise all the time by fitting loud exhausts.

i drive a diesel i dont revv the nuts off it...thats just stupid. I was simply driving up the street, music wasnt up loud or anything, sticking to the speed limit,not blearing the horn etc etc. so yes i would have passed my test by the way i was driving on saturday night.

marcdh

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda AZ-3
Tried to do me as well, i was part of that 13 or so that all had their cases droped. Again he tried to say i was doin silly speed, 110 in a 60 in my case. On his own with a calibrated speedo. Many Thanks to the guys who fought it cause i was lookin at losin the books and didnt have the cash to fight it. It seems justice can prevail but at a cost. Makes me sick.

That's fantastic. It's absolutely sickening and wrong that anyone should have to pay out significant amounts of hard earned money to achieve justice. If only the public had the cash to contest more of these cases. Furthermore actually gain an apology. It's good to see a case like Jermain Defoe BBC NEWS | UK | England | Footballer Defoe to sue police If only we all had the money.

IMO the police are rapidly becoming judge, jury and executioner. The consequences are loss of justice, increased revenue, and oppression of the less than wealthy. I think this country is becoming a role model Stasi state. Corruption is inevitable with no court to so much as debate a case. Just look at the Careless Driving fines they intend to implement driving-fines-plan

spaceh0pper you're exactly right. This country is pathetic, civil liberties are shrinking week by week.

rybo

RMS Regular
Its also one of the most lenient in the developed world against motorists.

Ask anyone who has toured USA / Canada where they use helicopters to detect speeders, Europe where the fines are much more prohibitive than here. Scandinavia where you'll be scooped for speeds within our Fixed Penalty Notice range.

Maybe you can tell us where everything is a lot better?

marcdh

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda AZ-3
I've travelled over 4000 miles in the USA by car over the course of 3 visits to 10 states over 2 months. I certainly cannot say I found it worse. As for where is better I do not know yet, that's why I travel as it is best learnt through experience.

speedGPX_468x266.jpg

rybo

RMS Regular
I've travelled over 4000 miles in the USA by car over the course of 3 visits to 10 states over 2 months. I certainly cannot say I found it worse. As for where is better I do not know yet, that's why I travel as it is best learnt through experience.

speedGPX_468x266.jpg

Fixed cameras are only one facet of enforcement. This is a very simplistic table suggesting that the level of road deaths does not correlate to the number of fixed cameras. I'd be more interested in before & after figures in specific locations.
The threshold for enforcement, numbers of officers carrying out traffic duties, penalties, seatbelt wearing rates, the types of road, traffic volume all have an important impact upon road death statistics.

Maybe your experience in USA wasn't worse than here because you either didn't speed, or weren't caught. Either way, it would be the same here or anywhere else. What I'm trying to say is, when you compare this country to other developed nations, we are soft on motoring offenders.

Its easy to sit back & have a rant about how pathetic you find everything - what about suggesting how you would like to see it, and why.

rybo

RMS Regular
I'm sure all the folk with money would much prefer it too. Then they could speed all the time & just pay their tickets from the wad of notes in their wallet.

This was the case pre-1997 for those of you who remember.

They were called 'professional speeders' who didn't care about tickets without points - the time they saved(?) by speeding was worth more to them than the fine when they got caught.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
From those stats then....can we start the catch phrase...

Fixed site speed cameras kill !!! Speed certainly doesnt :laughing:

spaceh0pper

RMS Regular
Drives
Pedestrian
From those stats then....can we start the catch phrase...

Fixed site speed cameras kill !!! Speed certainly doesnt :laughing:

Actually, speed does kill.

While it's usually not what causes the accident, it can greatly amplify the extent of the injuries suffered as a result.

Souleh

RMS Regular
Drives
Astra coupe / ZX
I always though it wasnt the speed that kills but the want or need to stop instantly when travelling quickly :p

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
True...speed doesnt kill.

Its the very rapid decelleration that does the damage. But as we wouldnt get anywhere staying still all the time, we have to move at speed at some point in our lives.

Statistics would show that more people speed and survive, than speed and die though...if they were ever compiled that is

spaceh0pper

RMS Regular
Drives
Pedestrian
True...speed doesnt kill.

Its the very rapid decelleration that does the damage.

What a load of bollox. That's like saying shooting yourself in the head won't kill you, but the bullet going through your brain will. It's pure semantics, you can't have one without the other.

If there was no speed, there would be no rapid deceleration.

Furthermore, the rapid deceleration is only one aspect of the problem. It will only cause internal damage, organs bursting, arteries ripping etc. There's also damage caused by impact itself, eg from your head hitting a windscreen or a tree, or a fence pole piercing your body. With increased speed you have a much greater chance of suffering a fatal impact.

rybo

RMS Regular
Well said.

This is the very reason for speed limits - not to spoil your fun, to try and keep more people alive.

If you want high speed fun, go to a track.

spaceh0pper

RMS Regular
Drives
Pedestrian
Well said.

This is the very reason for speed limits - not to spoil your fun, to try and keep more people alive.

If you want high speed fun, go to a track.

That said, only a particularly naive observer would believe that, at the highest level, speed camera enforcement is designed to keep us safer and not generate revenue.

A mere cursory glance at the pattern of enforcement reveals otherwise. There is a tendency to target big, busy roads where it's easy to creep over the 30mph limit. Of course, these aren't the roads people are dying on week in, week out.

As for those fatal accidents, most of them are caused by bad driving, pure and simple. Whether it be lack of concentration, over tiredness or a risky manoeuvre. This is much harder to police.

They'll never get road deaths down to zero by focusing on speed alone, but as long as they're seen to 'be doing something', sure it's a handy wee earner.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.