Small fun runabout - ideas needed

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Chris Mac

RMS Regular
Drives
MK8 GTi CS
I'm sending the Golf back as we've changed the wife's jeep and now don't need two large cars so we're looking for a small(ish) runabout for work (literally 1 mile) and going shopping (with no kids).
Literally the only criteria are;
  • Occasionally taking 1 child
  • Fits golf clubs (don't mind back seats being folded down for that)
  • Fun drive (I always wanted to track the R but I don't think time will allow, but I'd track something like this)
  • Manual/Auto
  • MAX £5k

I had originally thought instantly about a mini cooper s, however the more I research the more nervous I get. It appears the turbo'd cars (2007 on) cause lots of problems, so it's looking towards 2006 and older supercharged models, which worries me buying a 10 year old car.
Another contender could be a mk5 gti dsg, however I've had one that had an intake, exhaust and map and H&Rs, so I'm worried it'll feel dead without them, and I don't really want to start modding whatever is bought.

So, what would you buy?

hannakournikova

RMS Regular
In order of banter from the cars owned that would fit your bill:
Cooper s
Clio 182
Ibiza cupra
Mk5 GTI golf

What about a Leon cupra?

Last edited:

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
July 04 on R53 (fog light low in the bumper) to avoid the reliability issues with the earlier models.

Surely most stuff in that budget / category is going to be around 10 years old?

Gambit

RMS Regular
FN2 Civic Type R - think they are still a smart looking (enough for the golf club car park) car in black, and im sure itd be entertaining throwing it round the track the odd time

lackingBHP

RMS Regular
Drives
mediocrely
12772353.jpg

Maybe not the quickest but had a run in one years ago and was a hoot

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.