4x4 under £3k

MarkM

RMS Regular
OP
MarkM
I’d 100% be after a CRV for your budget.

Looked at two (07&08), neither of us liked them, think we’re between a freelander2 or Tucson, I’d like an X5 but don’t think it’s the sensible choice here

colin84

RMS Regular
Looked at two (07&08), neither of us liked them, think we’re between a freelander2 or Tucson, I’d like an X5 but don’t think it’s the sensible choice here

I think it was already mentioned, what about the Outlander or Peugeot 4007?

Also what about a Jeep Cherokee or Patriot?

I know nothing about any of them, they just seem a bit more modern.

purplea4T

RMS Regular

I've ran 3 Cherokees, an early 4.0 Sport, 2.5petrol and a later 06 2.8 CRD.
They are quite agricultural but the 2.8 is a strong engine in what is actually a small enough car. Rear space is tight and the rear door is side opening which can be awkward. Sills rot like a *******, glow plugs can give bother, the rear diff hanger boomerang and ball joint can split and knock at the back. Not dear to fix but needs a ramp. Rear diff can be whiny.
Very good towing motor, I pulled a Scenic to Toome on a plant trailer and it didn't struggle at all. Consumables are cheap enough too. Surprisingly good off road, we did a day at Todds Leap with the guys from here and it didn't disgrace itself.
Saying that, my money would be on a petrol RAV 4 Lwb.
Screenshot_20201229_205251_com.facebook.katana.jpg
Screenshot_20201229_205244_com.facebook.katana.jpg

MarkM

RMS Regular
OP
MarkM

The Citroen/pug/mitsi are out as Emma hates the look of them, too mumsy apparently lol
Looked at jeeps but not for me

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I was fairly keen on a CRV in the mid 00's and test drove a fairly fresh one up at a Honda dealer in Ballymena. The dash and interior was just horrible, drove alright etc but didn't fancy it as a new-ish car as it was then. Love J44nty's CRV thread and think it'd be cool as a cheap runabout. RAV4's and any of the korean stuff would also do fine and be reliable.
FL's aren't as bad as advertised, the petrol ones are admittedly poor but the l-series will go forever, the bmw 4 pots are ok too. The FL2's are dead on IMO, mine has deffo been good to me.

MarkM

RMS Regular
OP
MarkM
I was fairly keen on a CRV in the mid 00's and test drove a fairly fresh one up at a Honda dealer in Ballymena. The dash and interior was just horrible, drove alright etc but didn't fancy it as a new-ish car as it was then. Love J44nty's CRV thread and think it'd be cool as a cheap runabout. RAV4's and any of the korean stuff would also do fine and be reliable.
FL's aren't as bad as advertised, the petrol ones are admittedly poor but the l-series will go forever, the bmw 4 pots are ok too. The FL2's are dead on IMO, mine has deffo been good to me.

I have to admit the X5 offered is so nice I’m still tempted, but think the FL2 is probably a real world better choice for us, I also don’t want something too nice I have to care about lol The main problem is all FL2s are very leggy and so far, rusty, still, two more tomorrow.
I know you said no VAG but a touareg is fun to waft about in. 3k or so would get one too.

+o(:expressionless: Oh I couldn’t **shudder**

colin84

RMS Regular

Smurf.

RMS Regular
Drives
The odd time
I have to admit the X5 offered is so nice I’m still tempted, but think the FL2 is probably a real world better choice for us, I also don’t want something too nice I have to care about lol The main problem is all FL2s are very leggy and so far, rusty, still, two more tomorrow.

+o(:expressionless: Oh I couldn’t **shudder**
But you could a tuscon?
Lol give one a drive. Fun big thing..

MarkM

RMS Regular
OP
MarkM
Have you been in a Tucson? I think they are awful inside, and out tbh, and really basic to drive. A Santa fe would maybe be a better option.

2011 MAZDA CX-7 4X4 DIESEL SPORT TECH p/x vw tiguan touareg crv cx 7 5 bmw x5 x3 jeep vw freelander | in Four Winds, Belfast | Gumtree

Not been in one, was due to tomorrow but he can’t see me now. Santa Fe is too big I think! Basic is good, I’d have a defender if I could!
CX-7 is interesting :grinning:
But you could a tuscon?
Lol give one a drive. Fun big thing..

Oh easily lol, main advantage is it doesn’t have a VW badge on the nose, told you, irrational but holy **** do I despise them :joy: :joy: :joy:

Another £500 in the pot now :scream:

going to see this
E7018D3C-545A-434B-B240-16E6D6BF3C37.jpeg

Last edited:

MarkM

RMS Regular
OP
MarkM
What about a X3?
Never drove one but definitely in your money.

The thing with an X3 is the 4x4 system and good and I’d prefer a straight six petrol, that was my 1st thought (y) would definitely consider one though

Last edited:

MarkM

RMS Regular
OP
MarkM
Sent this, are these ok? Seems cheap and quite like it in red, tempted to have it and put a set of Michelin cross climates on it and just drive it into the ground

Last edited:

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
Thanks, made contact, on my way, now they want me to leave it to the weekend as there’s a ‘wee whistle from the intercooler and don’t have tome to look at it’ jog on, not going near, I hate buying cars!!
probabaly just a split hose which is a £20 DIY job. Same sort of money to fix any dodgy central locking too.

colin84

RMS Regular
Sent this, are these ok? Seems cheap and quite like it in red, tempted to have it and put a set of Michelin cross climates on it and just drive it into the ground

Looks grand to me, reliable and without the running costs of an X5.

mrloaf

RMS Regular
Drives
Swedes
Transfer boxes are weak on the cx7, mate had one and had trouble getting a replacement, good value with that box already done however

gerryp

RMS Regular
Drives
Porsche 997
Have you been in a Tucson? I think they are awful inside, and out tbh, and really basic to drive. A Santa fe would maybe be a better option.

2011 MAZDA CX-7 4X4 DIESEL SPORT TECH p/x vw tiguan touareg crv cx 7 5 bmw x5 x3 jeep vw freelander | in Four Winds, Belfast | Gumtree
The MAZDA now showing £400 less and new engine mentioned.
Not sure if its the same person selling but its the same car.

Boksic

RMS Regular
Please view this ad:

Land Rover, FREELANDER, Estate, 2004, Manual, 1951 (cc), 3 doors for spares or repair,

Price: £ 550

How cheap and how much tinkering do you want to do?

Was tempted myself to buy this. Not sure why. I'd say what ever is wrong with it is probably very simple sorted

MarkM

RMS Regular
OP
MarkM
Please view this ad:

Land Rover, FREELANDER, Estate, 2004, Manual, 1951 (cc), 3 doors for spares or repair,

Was tempted myself to buy this. Not sure why. I'd say what ever is wrong with it is probably very simple sorted

I only really want to do mechanicals and trim really, looking for something straight body wise, I’ve ruled the FL1 out as the 3 I’ve seen were rotten and bluffed up, that’s cheap though!

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I was looking for pretty much the same thing a few years ago and IMO you can fall into the trap of being too fussy. You have to remember that this is a £3k jeep to serve a purpose and isn’t going to replace your main car.

MarkM

RMS Regular
OP
MarkM
I was looking for pretty much the same thing a few years ago and IMO you can fall into the trap of being too fussy. You have to remember that this is a £3k jeep to serve a purpose and isn’t going to replace your main car.

Oh I agree and I’m most likely being too fussy but I’m just scared of buying a total money pit, maybe what I want doesn’t exist. Going over to look at the FL2 now, if that’s a dog, on to the Tucson, which is much cheaper and looks good

61C9AA22-B322-43E0-9EB6-8F25E6E888CF.jpeg

colin84

RMS Regular
Please view this ad:

Could be simple, or could be a mine field lol. Looks good for that money though, it would be worth more in parts.