anpr camera and tax?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

J55NI

RMS Regular
Are these operating now for sure reguarding tax?. Friend purchased a new car and tax ran out today he drove past one or two of these anpr cameras on way to and from work that seem to be everywere , Tax only ran out today and he hasnt recieved the new log book yet but was planning on taxing it on monday anyways. Were does he stand? Fine points or should it be ok as he is taxing it from monday anyways?.

Cheers

J55NI

RMS Regular
OP
J
ANPR are accessible by the cops only.

So no, he will be grand.

Ill pass on the good news :grinning:. I got mixed reviews when i googled it but gathered someone on here might know better . Someone had told him that they thought they were used to fine for no tax in his work which got him worried i gather , i never herd of it myself though..

Derekm

RMS Regular
Drives
Exige S Focus RS
ANPR cameras are likely to only flag it up once a vehicle is over two months un paid tax.

Karlos Da Jackle

RMS Regular
Drives
PUG 306+GSI CARL
Are these operating now for sure reguarding tax?. Friend purchased a new car and tax ran out today he drove past one or two of these anpr cameras on way to and from work that seem to be everywere , Tax only ran out today and he hasnt recieved the new log book yet but was planning on taxing it on monday anyways. Were does he stand? Fine points or should it be ok as he is taxing it from monday anyways?.

Cheers

He'll be going to jail for a week or 2.

-
-
-
-
-
Nah he'll be grand, worst is just back dating teh tax, which would happen anyhow, unless he styled it out to the 1st July, then he manage to get a couples of weeks free road tax,

Derekm

RMS Regular
Drives
Exige S Focus RS
They would be sending out too many letters if they flaged up everyone who didnt renew at the exact due date. You have two weeks to renew so its only after you go outside a certain time which I think I recall to be 2 months that the cameras flag it up for enforcement action.

Derekm

RMS Regular
Drives
Exige S Focus RS
ANPR are accessible by the cops only.

If the PSNI fixed ANPR cameras are currently not being used for car tax evasion/enforcement, they probably will be in the near future. However, I suspect they may well be in use for this purpuse in certain areas already.

Why would the PSNI not share info picked up via static cameras with the DVLNI to enforce car tax? The PSNI are already doing this with their own ANPR fitted patrol cars (the PSNI had 75 ANPR equiped cars back in 2006), which have access to the databases for untaxed cars. This system automatically picks up untaxed cars (over 2 months out of date) and the info is then sent to the DVLNI for enforcement action. So if they are doing that with ANPR in their patrol cars why wouldnt they not do it with the fixed ANPR cameras too?

Here is a quote from a Criminal justice Report published in 2007 - "As of October 2006, the PSNI had 75 vehicles with ANPR and loaded with three different databases – one of which related to vehicles where tax had expired by more than two months."

I dont know how many ANPR equipped car they have now but im sure its quite a few.

The DVA also has plans to fit static ANPR cameras dedicated to the purpose of vehicle licensing enforcement, at the Upper Knockbreda Road and York Street/Westlink Junction in Belfast.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
There is a new ANPR camera at the start of the Westlink/York Street already. I drove past it a few days ago and someone had covered them with plastic bags. Good show.

A few of the ANPR cameras around the country have already been destroyed, it even made the BBC news. Sadly they reported them as CCTV cameras, not vehicle tracking cameras, or maybe the police havent even told the BBC of their true purpose.

Karlos Da Jackle

RMS Regular
Drives
PUG 306+GSI CARL
This system automatically picks up untaxed cars (over 2 months out of date) and the info is then sent to the DVLNI for enforcement action. .

I'd love confirmation from a member of Traffic Branch that deals with ANPR systems. To find out if that is true.

If thats the case, then gives you a possible free tax 2 months driving, unless youy get nabbed by ANPR.

I was under the impression it notified straight away.

Used to be, tax on car ran out, you rand the car for a month or 2, or as long as you fancied chancing it, trying to get a few free months road tax out of it, then you actually taxed the car.

Now of days reminders and letters, and SORN declaration, fecks all that up. But not if your saying they don't pick up for 2 months, means you can stii try run for free road tax. Only for a little, like month or 2 was all tryed to get,lol.

Derekm

RMS Regular
Drives
Exige S Focus RS
Now of days reminders and letters, and SORN declaration, fecks all that up. But not if your saying they don't pick up for 2 months, means you can stii try run for free road tax. Only for a little, like month or 2 was all tryed to get,lol.

Its hardy worth trying it for the 2 months, cause if you do get picked up via some other route you will get a fine and have to pay the unpaid tax anyway.

The over 2 months was published in a Criminal Justice Report in 2007.

I guess they are more interested in applying enforcment on people who drive without tax for more than 2 months i.e. the more determined tax dodgers.

avo5021

RMS Regular
I'd love confirmation from a member of Traffic Branch that deals with ANPR systems. To find out if that is true.

If thats the case, then gives you a possible free tax 2 months driving, unless youy get nabbed by ANPR.

I was under the impression it notified straight away.

Used to be, tax on car ran out, you rand the car for a month or 2, or as long as you fancied chancing it, trying to get a few free months road tax out of it, then you actually taxed the car.

I can't comment, last time i commented on a thread with reference to such systems i had to go and have a chat with a member of my authorities, so unfortunately i can no longer mention such systems or refer to anything like it..

If anyone else wants to then work away but my hands are tied.

Karlos Da Jackle

RMS Regular
Drives
PUG 306+GSI CARL
I can't comment, last time i commented on a thread with reference to such systems i had to go and have a chat with a member of my authorities, so unfortunately i can no longer mention such systems or refer to anything like it..

If anyone else wants to then work away but my hands are tied.

I know your your into all that kinky stuff, My Ex Missus was and all. Does your not use your quick cuffs??

Cool man, understand. text me,lol. xx or pm the answer.

I remember my ma and da were wile for it when we were younger. Trying to run the car for like an extra month without taxing it. My ma would only try one month, my da would go for 2,lol. Then Tax it. So basically driving without road tax for a month or 2.

But times have changed now, completely different, the world has went Health and safety crazy and all red tape. Life used to be nicer and easier flowing in years gone by.

CR

RMS Regular
Drives
A4 Avant
What way does these cameras works etc if I have to send my tax disc away for transferring my new reg? Or even if I get stopped? Il have nothing to display?

CR

RMS Regular
Drives
A4 Avant
I knew the ANPR did, does this apply to the tax cameras that sit at the roadside?

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
does this apply to the tax cameras that sit at the roadside?

LOL, they wont pick up on no tax disc, DVANI are not that advanced yet :p Plus there could be a valid reason for no disc like a transfer. It would only be some tramp street attendant or the likes you'd need to worry about. But all you can do is just put the usual wee note of 'personal transfer in progress' or the likes in the window.

You'll also get a wee form print out quickly showing what the change of registrations are until you get the official letter with tax disc etc, just incase you get stopped at side of road or to appeal a ticket for no disc :grinning: Plus as Karlos said, the cops can look up on the computer that you're taxed also of required :grinning:

Sgt_Major

RMS Regular
Drives
E81 123d
My tax ran out, and I didnt remember for 3 weeks.

I drive by at least 4 of the high mounted ANPR cameras every day, each way to/from work, and never got an letter or anything.

Renewed the tax, paid the back date, and never batted an eye.

Karlos Da Jackle

RMS Regular
Drives
PUG 306+GSI CARL
My tax ran out, and I didnt remember for 3 weeks.

I drive by at least 4 of the high mounted ANPR cameras every day, each way to/from work, and never got an letter or anything.

Renewed the tax, paid the back date, and never batted an eye.

Fool, lol, You should of pushed for into the new month, tryed just taxing it then. Would of been an interesting experiment, to see if you got a letter saying that you were clocked on the roads that month without tax.

Does no one remember it when young their parents trying to get a free month of tax. Or was it just my parents being miserable as we were poor. And every penny counts.

Derekm

RMS Regular
Drives
Exige S Focus RS
Fool, lol, You should of pushed for into the new month, tryed just taxing it then. Would of been an interesting experiment, to see if you got a letter saying that you were clocked on the roads that month without tax.

Does no one remember it when young their parents trying to get a free month of tax. Or was it just my parents being miserable as we were poor. And every penny counts.

Surely to get a month free the vehicle would have to be declared SORN for that month? If it wasnt SORN then the DVLA will ask you to pay for the month u missed (and a fine could be added also) because you didnt declare it SORN?

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
I think he means back in the day when it was a free for all system and there was no computers, the simple times, or as they say in Glenravel, 2004 :party:

Karlos Da Jackle

RMS Regular
Drives
PUG 306+GSI CARL
my old man did that too, it was like mission impossible on the dates you renewed so you could get the extra month lol

Awesome statement, Mission Impossible, yep thats what it was like, sneaking about to try get the month.

Surely to get a month free the vehicle would have to be declared SORN for that month? If it wasnt SORN then the DVLA will ask you to pay for the month u missed (and a fine could be added also) because you didnt declare it SORN?

I'm not sure, that may stand to reason, but maybe not. Thats why I though the cameras picked you up straight away. If they don't then there is the possibility of maybe running for a month, tax free, the as I said to Sgt Mjr, it would of been a nice social experiment if he had of tryed and ran the car for another week, and just renewed the tax for the new month, skipping a month out.

I suppose it would of been a waiting game, see if a fine or letter did land out. lots of Grey areas it seems,lol. Same as DVLANI, and DVLA. the old dual/ghost counter parts.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.